Wa front license plate

Jeanwoodie

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Tourig
I’ve requested no front plate. My observation in Seattle area majority of Tesla’s are not installing front plates. I spoke to one three year Tesla owner with no plate and no hassles from law enforcement.
My concern is the effect of a 72 square inch flat plate (CD if 1) mounted at the stagnation point on overall CD?
Per Lucid Tech talks the front generates vortexes which act to fill the side air scoops. In my opinion the flat plate (license) would interrupt these vortexes with resultant loss iof cooling air to the side mounted heat exchangers.

I’ve requested no front plate. My observation in Seattle area majority of Tesla’s are not installing front plates. I spoke to one three year Tesla owner with no plate and no hassles from law enforcement.
My concern is the effect of a 72 square inch flat plate (CD if 1) mounted at the stagnation point on overall CD?
Per Lucid Tech talks the front generates vortexes which act to fill the side air scoops. In my opinion the flat plate (license) would interrupt these vortexes with resultant loss iof cooling air to the side mounted heat exchangers.
People here have installed the ones that are stickers. I have not had my front license plate here in Texas for over 2 years and 🤞no issues and I have passed many Police cars. From what I hear you can technically place it in the Dash area visible from the windshield 🤪.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm also in Washington and wont be putting on a front plate. You're totally correct on most Teslas not having a front plate in WA, too.

I also lived in Chicago for 8 years with no front plate and was never stopped.

People here have installed the ones that are stickers. I have not had my front license plate here in Texas for over 2 years and 🤞no issues and I have passed many Police cars. From what I hear you can technically place it in the Dash area visible from the windshield 🤪.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm also in Washington and wont be putting on a front plate. You're totally correct on most Teslas not having a front plate in WA, too.

I also lived in Chicago for 8 years with no front plate and was never stopped.

Thanks ksa23, yeh it makes me feel better🤤

Wa has a provision for application requesting single plate exemption. However I doubt if Lucid would qualify. Aesthetics aside, I would like Lucid to do a CD impact as well as side heat exchangers degradation.

My SWAG indicates an overall lucid CD of .21 clean to approx .223 with front plate which equates 40+ mileage reduction depending on percent of energy expanded due to aerodynamic drag.

I used licenseplatewrap.com on my Model 3. But I think I'll leave the front plate off the Air and see how it goes. I won't be parking it in San Francisco so should be OK.
License Sticker.jpg

I used licenseplatewrap.com on my Model 3. But I think I'll leave the front plate off the Air and see how it goes. I won't be parking it in San Francisco so should be OK.
I’m planning on doing the license plate wrap if and when my car is delivered.

I’m planning on doing the license plate wrap if and when my car is delivered.
Yeah sounds like you shouldn't order the Wrap just yet 😢.

Yeah sounds like you shouldn't order the Wrap just yet 😢.
Well, I can’t. Need the license plate number first. Since there is no car, there is no registration and without a registration, I have no plate number so I can’t order the plate. Does that make sense?

Well, I can’t. Need the license plate number first. Since there is no car, there is no registration and without a registration, I have no plate number so I can’t order the plate. Does that make sense?
Yes, exactly. Sorry I was joking somewhat clumsily.

View attachment 3071
I like the wrap, but technically not in compliance with Washington State RCW. However will go that route if “push comes to shove”. In the meantime just going with no front plate.

I had SOOOO many people ask me about the license plate wrap today at rhe car meetup. No less than 15 people asked me where to order one because it's just better than getting a bracket or having it mounted.

Same - no front (for the first time on any car I've owned), but if required I'm going to attempt to go with the sticker. I've already ordered, shipped same day from https://customlicenseplates.us/
Please let us know what you think once it has arrived. Be sure to apply it to the car as closely as possible to the intended location of the metal front plate to avoid blocking any sensors located behind the plastic bumper. Apply very deliberately and slowly so that you can squeegee out any trapped air bubbles as they occur.

Please let us know what you think once it has arrived. Be sure to apply it to the car as closely as possible to the intended location of the metal front plate to avoid blocking any sensors located behind the plastic bumper. Apply very deliberately and slowly so that you can squeegee out any trapped air bubbles as they occur.
It arrived within 36 hours of me hitting the button - looks really good, comes with good instructions. I'm going to hold off on applying it until I am forced to.

Even then, I'm considering having my ppf guy do it for me so I don't screw it up. Nice part is they advertise successful removal with warm/hot water to help warm up the adhesive.

I ordered a personalized plate (MY LCID) 2 months ago from the DMV. I figure if they come months before my Pure, it will be like a joke on my Prius. I ordered the sticker last month. Recently they said the plate is reserved and they will send it when the plates are mailed.

Back