First Road Trip

BradSholl

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, R1S, M3
Finally got a chance to test our AGT’s legs on a trip to the Finger Lakes. The week leading up to it was a bit stressful. My wife clipped a mailbox, shattering the right side mirror (in her defense, the oncoming car was close to us and the mailbox door was open). Scrambled to get it repaired. Tyler came out the day before we were due to leave, but discovered the parts shipped to him included a new mirror and housing, but not the internal mechanism to mount the mirror and allow for power adjustments. With my artist wife’s help, he fabricated a block of foam to act as a temporary base for the mirror and taped it in place. Permanent fix deferred.

We set out for Williamsport (~90mi) with a 95% charge. I decided there was no sense stressing the battery by topping it off. I had read there was a level 2 charger at the PA College of Technology. Found it unoccupied. 2 Tesla chargers…crap. Then a closer inspection revealed the back one had a J1772 plug. Nice! Plugged in and grabbed lunch. 40mi., an excellent sour beer and a pulled pork sandwich later, we headed out for Corning, NY (~80mi). Pretty decent climbing and torrential rain ate away at our range. Arrived to find the only level 2 chargers at the local Hilton were Tesla. They did have 110v outlets on the light posts of the parking lot. What the heck…plugged in for my 1mi/hr charge.

The next morning, after an excellent few hours at the Corning Glass museum, we set out for Watkins Glen (30mi.) Spent the day hiking the gorge with its beautiful waterfalls, then checked into the Harbor Inn. The desk said they offered charging but I needed a ChargePoint app to activate it. I have all the major apps, just in case. Charge activated without problem, no indication of a fee. Again, charged to 95% overnight because there was little demand for the charger. The other charger was unoccupied and the lot was filled with Porsches. Must have been a rally or something.

Loaded up to leave the next morning to find that I had been charged $10. Oh well, a far cry from the price of gas. Headed up the eastern shore of Lake Seneca, stopping at some really excellent wineries along the way. Reached our B&B in Waterloo (40mi., no charging and absolutely nothing but water allowed in the rooms!) Popped over to Geneva and back (15mi. RT) for dinner.

The next morning, I still had plenty of range left, but the EA chargers at the Waterloo Premium Outlets were only 5 mi. away. Out of curiosity, we stopped by. Found an open 350kw charger (a Mustang and a Kia were already charging) and plugged it. It actually recognized the Lucid without fuss, but max charge rate was only about 50kw/hr. Did some light shopping and left, again at 95%. And no…if the station had been busy, I would have skipped charging and allowed others more in need to charge. I’m a nice guy…more or less.

The rest of that day and the next were spent hopping around the top and western side of Lake Seneca and Lake Keuka. There was a CCS charger in Geneva, but no need. Spent the last night in Hammondsport at the Best Western. Level 2 charger out front. Inquired inside. Flat fee of $10/day. No need. After a morning spent at the Curtis Air and Motorcycle museum (highly recommended), we set out for home. We planned on again stopping at Williamsport, this time to grab a quick charge and lunch at New Trail Brewing, but alas, the sole J1772 plug was now in use and New Trail didn’t open until 3PM on Thursdays. Skipped the charge, grabbed lunch at a pub in the Pine Square pedestrian street area and headed for home. Arrived with ~50mi. of remaining range. Total distance ~650 mi. 3.7mi/kw average.

The car drives beautifully, as we all know. The damage to the mirror and subsequent lack of full replacement and recalibration limited me to ACC. HA caused the vehicle to jerk back and forth in the lane unnervingly. I had several annoying instances where CarPlay failed to load, which didn’t allow me to navigate with Waze. Lucid’s nav system is improving, but still often makes odd choices and doesn’t point out law enforcement…. One super annoying glitch was when it got stuck between profiles. It almost always defaults to my wife, squashing me until the seat adjusts. When I tried to switch profiles, the screens locked up. Couldn’t access the settings menu for an Air Logo reset. Tried a Bobby reset and a card/pillar reset without luck. Called Lucid and they insisted we had to exit the vehicle, along with ALL our belongings, in order to reset it. I explained that we were traveling and the car was rather full. She was insistent, so we got out and I removed everything from the seats. The reset worked and we were on our way. We also notice from time to time, the cabin temperature would vary suddenly, as though the A/C shut off. Not terrible, and a click of the temp button fixed it, but odd.

All in all, quite pleased with our first adventure.

@BradSholl

Hmmm... Did someone say light post at the HGI in Corning?? LOL This was my first away from home charging experience and it was at that same hotel. I, too, knew they had an EV charger but didn't realize it was a tesla destination charger until I arrived that night. And then I went on amazon and bought an adapter. I highly recommend the adapter. And, if you make it back to that hotel, the destination charger is pretty impressive. It charged my car over 60 mi/hour with the adapter. So, you were in my neck of the woods. My company is based in the fingerlakes and I'm in Corning, Elmira, Horseheads, Ithaca, Watkins several times a month. Sorry I missed you but glad you had a good trip! Oh, and at Waterloo outlets, the 150 charger has consistently been better than the 350's.

Have you thought about getting a Tesla Tap adapter for Tesla destination chargers at hotels?

I have one in my glove compartment but haven't needed to use it yet but at least you have a free charging option at many hotels

Have you thought about getting a Tesla Tap adapter for Tesla destination chargers at hotels?

I have one in my glove compartment but haven't needed to use it yet but at least you have a free charging option at many hotels
Great investment. My client's resorts loans then to guests. I tried one out with my Lucid on their Tesla destination charger and it worked just like a Charge point or Autel home charger. My Tesla friends have one that goes in reverse, from Tesla car to CCCS powercord, so they can use my Charge point when they visit overnight.

Finally got a chance to test our AGT’s legs on a trip to the Finger Lakes. The week leading up to it was a bit stressful. My wife clipped a mailbox, shattering the right side mirror (in her defense, the oncoming car was close to us and the mailbox door was open). Scrambled to get it repaired. Tyler came out the day before we were due to leave, but discovered the parts shipped to him included a new mirror and housing, but not the internal mechanism to mount the mirror and allow for power adjustments. With my artist wife’s help, he fabricated a block of foam to act as a temporary base for the mirror and taped it in place. Permanent fix deferred.

We set out for Williamsport (~90mi) with a 95% charge. I decided there was no sense stressing the battery by topping it off. I had read there was a level 2 charger at the PA College of Technology. Found it unoccupied. 2 Tesla chargers…crap. Then a closer inspection revealed the back one had a J1772 plug. Nice! Plugged in and grabbed lunch. 40mi., an excellent sour beer and a pulled pork sandwich later, we headed out for Corning, NY (~80mi). Pretty decent climbing and torrential rain ate away at our range. Arrived to find the only level 2 chargers at the local Hilton were Tesla. They did have 110v outlets on the light posts of the parking lot. What the heck…plugged in for my 1mi/hr charge.

The next morning, after an excellent few hours at the Corning Glass museum, we set out for Watkins Glen (30mi.) Spent the day hiking the gorge with its beautiful waterfalls, then checked into the Harbor Inn. The desk said they offered charging but I needed a ChargePoint app to activate it. I have all the major apps, just in case. Charge activated without problem, no indication of a fee. Again, charged to 95% overnight because there was little demand for the charger. The other charger was unoccupied and the lot was filled with Porsches. Must have been a rally or something.

Loaded up to leave the next morning to find that I had been charged $10. Oh well, a far cry from the price of gas. Headed up the eastern shore of Lake Seneca, stopping at some really excellent wineries along the way. Reached our B&B in Waterloo (40mi., no charging and absolutely nothing but water allowed in the rooms!) Popped over to Geneva and back (15mi. RT) for dinner.

The next morning, I still had plenty of range left, but the EA chargers at the Waterloo Premium Outlets were only 5 mi. away. Out of curiosity, we stopped by. Found an open 350kw charger (a Mustang and a Kia were already charging) and plugged it. It actually recognized the Lucid without fuss, but max charge rate was only about 50kw/hr. Did some light shopping and left, again at 95%. And no…if the station had been busy, I would have skipped charging and allowed others more in need to charge. I’m a nice guy…more or less.

The rest of that day and the next were spent hopping around the top and western side of Lake Seneca and Lake Keuka. There was a CCS charger in Geneva, but no need. Spent the last night in Hammondsport at the Best Western. Level 2 charger out front. Inquired inside. Flat fee of $10/day. No need. After a morning spent at the Curtis Air and Motorcycle museum (highly recommended), we set out for home. We planned on again stopping at Williamsport, this time to grab a quick charge and lunch at New Trail Brewing, but alas, the sole J1772 plug was now in use and New Trail didn’t open until 3PM on Thursdays. Skipped the charge, grabbed lunch at a pub in the Pine Square pedestrian street area and headed for home. Arrived with ~50mi. of remaining range. Total distance ~650 mi. 3.7mi/kw average.

The car drives beautifully, as we all know. The damage to the mirror and subsequent lack of full replacement and recalibration limited me to ACC. HA caused the vehicle to jerk back and forth in the lane unnervingly. I had several annoying instances where CarPlay failed to load, which didn’t allow me to navigate with Waze. Lucid’s nav system is improving, but still often makes odd choices and doesn’t point out law enforcement…. One super annoying glitch was when it got stuck between profiles. It almost always defaults to my wife, squashing me until the seat adjusts. When I tried to switch profiles, the screens locked up. Couldn’t access the settings menu for an Air Logo reset. Tried a Bobby reset and a card/pillar reset without luck. Called Lucid and they insisted we had to exit the vehicle, along with ALL our belongings, in order to reset it. I explained that we were traveling and the car was rather full. She was insistent, so we got out and I removed everything from the seats. The reset worked and we were on our way. We also notice from time to time, the cabin temperature would vary suddenly, as though the A/C shut off. Not terrible, and a click of the temp button fixed it, but odd.

All in all, quite pleased with our first adventure.
Interesting the level 2 charger at the PA College of Technology included Tesla chargers with a J1772 plug. More interesting that it worked. I ran into a similar situation at the Guest House at Graceland hotel in Memphis while traveling a few weeks ago. Plug Share said they had several Tesla and J1772 chargers, only to find they were all Tesla Destination chargers, but with either a Tesla or J1772 plug. When we checked in the manager commented he has seen many non-Tesla EVs successfully using the J1772 plugs. I was psyched to get some free juice overnight only to find I my AT was timing out once plugged in, throwing a Hardware Error. After trying several of their J1772 plugs with the same result I called the Lucid CS folks who informed me that our Lucid charging software doesn't yet speak Tesla regardless of the connector. I'm not sure that is 100% accurate since many Forum folks have successfully used a Tesla Tap...

Interesting the level 2 charger at the PA College of Technology included Tesla chargers with a J1772 plug. More interesting that it worked. I ran into a similar situation at the Guest House at Graceland hotel in Memphis while traveling a few weeks ago. Plug Share said they had several Tesla and J1772 chargers, only to find they were all Tesla Destination chargers, but with either a Tesla or J1772 plug. When we checked in the manager commented he has seen many non-Tesla EVs successfully using the J1772 plugs. I was psyched to get some free juice overnight only to find I my AT was timing out once plugged in, throwing a Hardware Error. After trying several of their J1772 plugs with the same result I called the Lucid CS folks who informed me that our Lucid charging software doesn't yet speak Tesla regardless of the connector. I'm not sure that is 100% accurate since many Forum folks have successfully used a Tesla Tap...

The Tesla Tap has firmware in it that “fakes” the charger into thinking your car is a Tesla.

I thought about getting a Tesla tap, but not sure if it’ll be necessary for much longer, given the increasing numbers of non-Tesla EVs and charging options. The Corning charge was far from necessary. But yes, the Tesla charger with the J1772 plug charged just fine.

Could you please post which one you bought that was reliable? Tks.

Could you please post which one you bought that was reliable? Tks.
The TeslaTap minis have been upgraded to be a better fit now. Those are probably your best bet.

Back