Front License Plate?

LucidDropkick

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT - Range
Hey all,

Do any of you have front-mounted license plates? I don't tend to see a lot of them.

CA Bay Area native (nowhere near SF, more South Bay), and I can't recall the last time I saw a Tesla with a front plate. Anyone have experience with this?

I know it’s a requirement in CA but after seeing all the Tesla’s on the road with no front license plate I opted not to have it installed on my Lucid.

I’m in SoCal but friends in SF tell me the parking inspectors tend to get you vs the cops.

Hey all,

Do any of you have front-mounted license plates? I don't tend to see a lot of them.

CA Bay Area native (nowhere near SF, more South Bay), and I can't recall the last time I saw a Tesla with a front plate. Anyone have experience with this?
It’s a low risk proposition to run with a rear plate only.

Yeah, this seems like the way I'm going to be going as well. The front end is gorgeous and I don't want to ruin it with a plate.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that this car really turns heads. Whereas a cop may not give a Tesla a second glance, I'm not so sure I'd get the same level of...visual apathy, heh.

This is an option to satisfy the front license plate requirement but avoiding the hit on aerodynamics--

Yeah I did order one of these License Plate Wraps. I've been driving without a front plate for years on my Porsche and other cars but now I understand it is no longer a "fix-it" ticket as it was in the past. Someone told me it is a fairly substantial fine. So I did order one of the LPW front plates and it came today. I haven't installed it yet but I have to say, it does look decent. I will probably go ahead and install it.

Yeah I did order one of these License Plate Wraps. I've been driving without a front plate for years on my Porsche and other cars but now I understand it is no longer a "fix-it" ticket as it was in the past. Someone told me it is a fairly substantial fine. So I did order one of the LPW front plates and it came today. I haven't installed it yet but I have to say, it does look decent. I will probably go ahead and install it.
Would love to see a picture if you do!

Couldn't bring myself to ruining the look with a front plate...I'll take my chances

They can then pull you over and give you a ticket, with the typical fee for breaking the front license plate law sitting around $200. This is a hefty fine for something that’s completely avoidable

They can then pull you over and give you a ticket, with the typical fee for breaking the front license plate law sitting around $200. This is a hefty fine for something that’s completely avoidable
Have you installed a front plate? Or the LPW?

Have you installed a front plate? Or the LPW?
Yes of course I have...right away because not having it on would be illegal...yep ;)...I'll just have to double check the install when my car comes back from AZ.

What source? To my knowledge it’s still a fix-it ticket.

I was told this by a friend yesterday and confirmed earlier in this thread by hydbob. I will go online and see what it says in the DMV.

I was told this by a friend yesterday and confirmed earlier in this thread by hydbob. I will go online and see what it says in the DMV.
I found this online:
How much is a license plate ticket in California?
A ticket for a violation of CVC 5200 costs a minimum of $197 in fines and fees.

I found this online:
Yea, I'll put my lpw on this weekend...😢

I found this online:

And from elsewhere: “5200(a) is $197 AND zero points no matter what else is written on your ticket.

It may be written as a correctable violation (and the court is free to consider it correctable even if not so marked). In that case if you do get your plates in place, then you take proof of that to court and pay $25 rather than $197.”

So I guess it’s up to the court and/or officer. Huh.

And from elsewhere: “5200(a) is $197 AND zero points no matter what else is written on your ticket.

It may be written as a correctable violation (and the court is free to consider it correctable even if not so marked). In that case if you do get your plates in place, then you take proof of that to court and pay $25 rather than $197.”

So I guess it’s up to the court and/or officer. Huh.
Yea, at least with the wrap it doesn't stick out as with the mount.

If I got a ticket I would tell the officer to stand with me and wave down every Tesla that doesn't have a license plate on the front and issue fines to all those drivers as well. It's should either be strictly enforced or not at all. You can't pick and choose who to fine and it's clear it's not strictly enforced in CA purely for the fact that 80%+ of Tesla's I see on the road don't have the front license plate installed

If I got a ticket I would tell the officer to stand with me and wave down every Tesla that doesn't have a license plate on the front and issue fines to all those drivers as well. It's should either be strictly enforced or not at all. You can't pick and choose who to fine and it's clear it's not strictly enforced in CA purely for the fact that 80%+ of Tesla's I see on the road don't have the front license plate installed
No it's more like, pulling you over for not having a plate and then finding something else that will get you in trouble

Back