what will be my charging rate?

Steveinarizona

Cars
Genesis GV60 Performance
My electrician was only able to generate a 20 amp dedicated circuit for my charger (I didn't want to trench my lawn to bring in another line from the street to increase my service from 225 to 400). What will be my charging rate on a 20 amp dedicated circuit?

Thanks.

Assuming that you have 240V, you will 3.84 kW. EV charging has to be derated by 20% so you will only get 16 amps to the car.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking. My exclusion period on my electrical service is 3 PM to 8 PM. So if I charge the car overnight for say ten hours, that will give me 38.4 kwh of electricity. That should give me about 100 miles. Figuring an alleged 400 mile range, and using only 80% of that gives me 320 mile range. Fine for maintenance so long as I can get to an Electrify America charging station occasionally to rebuild the base.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking. My exclusion period on my electrical service is 3 PM to 8 PM. So if I charge the car overnight for say ten hours, that will give me 38.4 kwh of electricity. That should give me about 100 miles. Figuring an alleged 400 mile range, and using only 80% of that gives me 320 mile range. Fine for maintenance so long as I can get to an Electrify America charging station occasionally to rebuild the base.
You will probably lose another 15% in charging losses (Voltage step up and AC to DC conversion). Your numbers are still optimistic.

My electrician was only able to generate a 20 amp dedicated circuit for my charger (I didn't want to trench my lawn to bring in another line from the street to increase my service from 225 to 400). What will be my charging rate on a 20 amp dedicated circuit?

What is the 225 number you stated, is that 225Amps? If so you shoul dhave no trouble installing a NEMA 1450 circuit and take advantage of the full 40A/225V Charger Provided by Lucid for home charging.

yes...it is 225 amps but I have an electric house: 7 tons of heat pumps for HVAC, a heat pump for my swimming pool. the rest of the pool equipment, washer, dryer, induction stove, etc. etc. I had to increase my service from 200 to 225 amps to get the circuit for the pool heat pump.

yes...it is 225 amps but I have an electric house: 7 tons of heat pumps for HVAC, a heat pump for my swimming pool. the rest of the pool equipment, washer, dryer, induction stove, etc. etc. I had to increase my service from 200 to 225 amps to get the circuit for the pool heat pump.
That explains it.

I'd like to point out that most homes have a dedicated electrical dryer plug (NEMA 10-30) that is rated for at least 240v@30A, so your electrical panel has the capacity for at least that. Most homes, especially with A/C, could potentially draw more than the sum of all their electrical devices. In your case, there should not be a problem in installing at least an additional 240V 30A circuit, unless it's an issue with running the appropriate gauge wire to your location. You can opt to disconnect the dryer while charging – or maybe you have a gas dryer. Some homes have dryers located near the garage and you could run a cable directly from the dryer, if that applies to you. The Lucid Mobile charging cable Comes with NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 14-50. The NEMA 14-30 adapter plug is mentioned and available separately. You can get an adapter to go from NEMA 14-50 to 14-30, but the Lucid does not have a way to adjust the current down for charging.

Also, you mentioned 20A dedicated. You need to determine if that is 120V or 240V. 20A sounds more like 120V. The electrician maybe only installed a 120V breaker due to limited space in the panel. They make compact circuit breakers, so the panel could be reworked to free up some space. You could also install a smaller sub panel next to it and move some of the circuit over to it, which would increase the number of circuit breakers you can have.

I'd like to point out that most homes have a dedicated electrical dryer plug (NEMA 10-30) that is rated for at least 240v@30A, so your electrical panel has the capacity for at least that. Most homes, especially with A/C, could potentially draw more than the sum of all their electrical devices. In your case, there should not be a problem in installing at least an additional 240V 30A circuit, unless it's an issue with running the appropriate gauge wire to your location. You can opt to disconnect the dryer while charging – or maybe you have a gas dryer. Some homes have dryers located near the garage and you could run a cable directly from the dryer, if that applies to you. The Lucid Mobile charging cable Comes with NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 14-50. The NEMA 14-30 adapter plug is mentioned and available separately. You can get an adapter to go from NEMA 14-50 to 14-30, but the Lucid does not have a way to adjust the current down for charging.

Also, you mentioned 20A dedicated. You need to determine if that is 120V or 240V. 20A sounds more like 120V. The electrician maybe only installed a 120V breaker due to limited space in the panel. They make compact circuit breakers, so the panel could be reworked to free up some space. You could also install a smaller sub panel next to it and move some of the circuit over to it, which would increase the number of circuit breakers you can have.
Thanks for your reply. I am an all electric house (I asked the gas company to bring a line down from a half mile away; they said they would be happy to do that for only $ 43K; I said no thanks and went electric).

The dedicated line is 240. The problem wasn't limited space in the panel, it was finding enough dedicated amps. The wiring isn't a problem as the electrician ran a separate wire from the panel to my garage for my current charger (clipper creek). I do have a 14-50 plug.

I could do the dryer thing but my wife would probably execute me.

My car is being wrapped this week. But, in the week between getting the DE and taking it in for wrapping, I just plugged into my garage 120V outlet to see what the "trickle" charge rate would be like. Well, it was more of a drip charge rate, with the charge time estimated at 98hr 40min!! Really?

I am a new EV owner and assumed something was very wrong with that charge rate. But, since I wasn't going anywhere, I just left it plugged in and periodically checked the charging status on my phone. While I monitored, I would get messages that the charging was started or just began a few hours before I checked, when in fact it had been plugged in for over a day. It's as if it was cycling on and off on its own (for some unknown reason). Any ideas?

I get it back next week and will check to see if that happens again.

Thanks for your reply. I am an all electric house (I asked the gas company to bring a line down from a half mile away; they said they would be happy to do that for only $ 43K; I said no thanks and went electric).

The dedicated line is 240. The problem wasn't limited space in the panel, it was finding enough dedicated amps. The wiring isn't a problem as the electrician ran a separate wire from the panel to my garage for my current charger (clipper creek). I do have a 14-50 plug.

So you can use the 14-50 plug and/or the Clipper Creek charger? If you have another EV, then the only issue is managing the use of the 14-50/Clipper Creek to get the maximum charge rate.

A lot of cities have started to require load calculations when adding circuits. It is unfortunate that EVs are considered continous. In reality in AZ in the summer, the AC load will decrease after 10PM, so charging after 10Pm would likely not be a problem. Too bad you cannot do the load calculation that way.

I am a new EV and assumed something was very wrong with that charge rate. But, since I wasn't going anywhere, I just left it plugged in and periodically check the charging status on my phone. While I monitored, I would get messages that the charging was started or just began a few hours before I checked, when in fact it had been plugged in for over a day. It's as if it was cycling on and off on its own (for some unknown reason). Any ideas?
When the car is charged to the charge limit, it will stop charging. As the battery depletes while sitting there, the charging will kick back in to charge again. But is sounds like with 98hr+ of charging remaining you have not reached the charging limit.

When the car is charged to the charge limit, it will stop charging. As the battery depletes while sitting there, the charging will kick back in to charge again. But is sounds like with 98hr+ of charging remaining you have not reached the charging limit.
Was only 43% charged when I plugged it in. Got up to 51% after a couple of days. It was during that time the phone app would indicate the charging had stopped and then begun again.

So you can use the 14-50 plug and/or the Clipper Creek charger? If you have another EV, then the only issue is managing the use of the 14-50/Clipper Creek to get the maximum charge rate.
yes I can but I am still limited by the 20 amp circuit.

Was only 43% charged when I plugged it in. Got up to 51% after a couple of days. It was during that time the phone app would indicate the charging had stopped and then begun again.
My car is in the shop getting wrapped. My phone app just notified me that it was launching into a charge mode. Perhaps the shop plugged it in for charging into a 120V outlet. Here is a picture of the charging rate and estimated time to full charge: 115hrs 50mins! :)

Attachments

• WIN_20220202_19_30_53_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220202_19_30_53_Pro.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 151
Lol yikes, hope you got your 220...

Regarding 80%. I thought you would only get 60% of range because you should stay between 20%-80%.

Back