Lucid charger -- bi-directional for powering the house

andrew61

Verified Owner
Cars
BMW M4, Audi S4, Alfa 73
I was planning to purchase the Lucid charger and install it on a 100-amp circuit. When I asked my rep, who is actually one of the finance guys and seems to have somewhat better knowledge of what is going on, he told me to wait as Lucid is releasing several new features:
  1. Bi-directional use of battery -- I can charge it from my home, and I can power my home using the car
  2. Soon, Lucids will be able to charge other EVs directly from the Lucid (this is less important to me)
He said there was a software update coming early in 2024 to enable the car to do #1 and #2 AND that there would be a hardware update to the Lucid Charger shortly that was required to power your home, like a solar battery or emergency generator. Obviously, you need the proper connection/disconnects to the power company to enable this.

My rep recommendation was to wait for the hardware update to the charger before buying and to install a 40 amp 220 line, which I could charge the car until the updated charger is available.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks and also, as the newbie, I appreciate all the answers to my questions!
Andrew

I was planning to purchase the Lucid charger and install it on a 100-amp circuit. When I asked my rep, who is actually one of the finance guys and seems to have somewhat better knowledge of what is going on, he told me to wait as Lucid is releasing several new features:
  1. Bi-directional use of battery -- I can charge it from my home, and I can power my home using the car
  2. Soon, Lucids will be able to charge other EVs directly from the Lucid (this is less important to me)
He said there was a software update coming early in 2024 to enable the car to do #1 and #2 AND that there would be a hardware update to the Lucid Charger shortly that was required to power your home, like a solar battery or emergency generator. Obviously, you need the proper connection/disconnects to the power company to enable this.

My rep recommendation was to wait for the hardware update to the charger before buying and to install a 40 amp 220 line, which I could charge the car until the updated charger is available.

Andrew
#2 is already available

no timetable on #1

....to install a 40 amp 220 line, which I could charge the car until the updated charger is available...
I assume it's a 240V 50A circuit, NEMA 14-50, so you can use your existing mobile connector that comes with your car while waiting.

I assume it's a 240V 50A circuit, NEMA 14-50, so you can use your existing mobile connector that comes with your car while waiting.
That's right -- I'm not an electrition and new to this business!

That's right -- I'm not an electrition and new to this business!
That sounds reasonable because we don't know what kinds of official Lucid hardware for V2H (Vehicle to Home) and V2G (Vehicle to Grid) just yet.

Andrew
If you want to wait to buy Lucid 100 amp charger later, you could run the wire for a 100amp now with a 50 amp breaker and a 14-50 plug. When you buy the 100 amp you can change out the breaker to 100 and do any other required work then.

I bought the LCHCS right when it first came out in mid 2022. I was told at the time there would be additional hardware and software that would be required to have V2H functional, but that it would not be a problem for the unit I purchased. I did expect to have V2H much sooner than now but I'm still hoping it will come soon.

I bought the LCHCS right when it first came out in mid 2022. I was told at the time there would be additional hardware and software that would be required to have V2H functional, but that it would not be a problem for the unit I purchased. I did expect to have V2H much sooner than now but I'm still hoping it will come soon.
If there truly is a hardware update, alluded to in OP's post, I anticipate Lucid will need to replace our old LCHCS like they did with the mobile chargers to get the V2H capabilities. Time will tell!

I'm wondering if Lucid is noticing all the extensive power outages now hitting the Eastern Seaboard. This winter promises to deliver many many more power outages all across the U.S. Wouldn't it be nice if our Lucid batteries could somehow be used to keep the power on during these outages? Oh yeah, they did tell us two years ago that would be the case, so ???

They did had hardware update of mobile EVSE, the replaced one is now able to do V2V with additional sign on back and tip of charging adaptor.

7BF042A1-DD30-405D-8C0B-F9D44EC85D83.jpeg

I'm wondering if Lucid is noticing all the extensive power outages now hitting the Eastern Seaboard. This winter promises to deliver many many more power outages all across the U.S. Wouldn't it be nice if our Lucid batteries could somehow be used to keep the power on during these outages? Oh yeah, they did tell us two years ago that would be the case, so ???
Oh, did you want V2H? Should've said something earlier!

I will keep saying it until we get it. Just like people here keep bringing up Android Auto (which I don't need). Maybe we should have a V2H Friday??? Easy for people who spent a fortune to put in Tesla PowerWalls to pooh pooh V2H, but for those of us who drank the Kool Aid promise of V2H and don't want to give Tesla our money it should be delivered. If Ford can do it why can't Lucid??

Our power didn’t go out but 36K other people in Rhode Island lost their power. The road in front of my house was a river for a couple hours. Does anyone have experience with portable solar generators like the higher capacity ones from Jackery or Anker? While the Lucid’s massive battery could power our house for days, I almost wonder if the portability and flexibility of a solar generator is a better investment than V2H. Let’s say you need to go somewhere, you don’t want to unplug the Lucid cuz then your refrigerator goes out and your house gets cold? And what if your other car is an EV also? Now you can’t charge that one because the Lucid is powering your house. I definitely think V2H is a better option than PowerWalls as those are lower capacity and more expensive, presumably. Meanwhile you could use the portable solar generator to charge the Lucid or other EV via 30 amp adapter. Of course if the cause of the outage was heavy rain, well if you didn’t recharge your solar generator you’re gonna be screwed in a day or two if the rains don’t dissipate, as you can’t charge back up without sun or electricity. 🤷‍♂️. I always find the anti-EV crowd not very smart on this topic as they don’t understand you need electricity to pump gas, so yeah you can gas power your gas station via gas generator for maybe 12 hours but then you’re back to no electricity or gas unless you can set up a manual pump siphon system…and no credit card readers or phone swipes will work so you’re back to cash which you didn’t get out of the ATM before the power went out. So damn right I think solar/EV combo is a much better solution but it still also seems fraught with some difficulty.

Our power didn’t go out but 36K other people in Rhode Island lost their power. The road in front of my house was a river for a couple hours. Does anyone have experience with portable solar generators like the higher capacity ones from Jackery or Anker? While the Lucid’s massive battery could power our house for days, I almost wonder if the portability and flexibility of a solar generator is a better investment than V2H. Let’s say you need to go somewhere, you don’t want to unplug the Lucid cuz then your refrigerator goes out and your house gets cold? And what if your other car is an EV also? Now you can’t charge that one because the Lucid is powering your house. I definitely think V2H is a better option than PowerWalls as those are lower capacity and more expensive, presumably. Meanwhile you could use the portable solar generator to charge the Lucid or other EV via 30 amp adapter. Of course if the cause of the outage was heavy rain, well if you didn’t recharge your solar generator you’re gonna be screwed in a day or two if the rains don’t dissipate, as you can’t charge back up without sun or electricity. 🤷‍♂️. I always find the anti-EV crowd not very smart on this topic as they don’t understand you need electricity to pump gas, so yeah you can gas power your gas station via gas generator for maybe 12 hours but then you’re back to no electricity or gas unless you can set up a manual pump siphon system…and no credit card readers or phone swipes will work so you’re back to cash which you didn’t get out of the ATM before the power went out. So damn right I think solar/EV combo is a much better solution but it still also seems fraught with some difficulty.
Not familiar with solar generators. Once they are charged up how much energy do they hold? My Dream has a 118kWh battery. I believe the Pures have around 90kWh batteries. So the Pure is the equivalent of around 6.5 Powerwalls and my Dream is equivalent to almost 9 Powerwalls. A Powerwall costs over $11K each. My Dream could power my home for over a week and even more if I just cut back to essentials.

My understanding about the additional equipment is more on the electrical/breaker side, exterior to the LHCS, a trigger failover switch when the power goes out that then auto kicks in and starts to pull FROM the car instead of pushing to it. But time will tell! Either way I've been dying for this feature!

My understanding about the additional equipment is more on the electrical/breaker side, exterior to the LHCS, a trigger failover switch when the power goes out that then auto kicks in and starts to pull FROM the car instead of pushing to it. But time will tell! Either way I've been dying for this feature!
That is consistent with what my electrician told me when he installed the LCHCS. They were working closely with Lucid on the charging stations.

Here's the biggest technically portable "solar generator" battery I'm aware of: https://www.bluettipower.com/products/bluetti-ep500pro-home-battery-backup
$5k for 5.1kWh

Now take their biggest solar panel: https://www.bluettipower.com/products/bluetti-pv420-solar-panel

That solar panel would take 12 hours of perfect conditions (both sun and battery) to refill that battery. I think that battery could give your car a maximum of 2.4kW (120V * 20A), draining it in just over 2 hours and adding 5.5% to your 92kWh Pure/Touring battery or 4.3% for the 118kWh Dream.

Take this all with a grain of salt, I'm neither an electrician nor a physicist, but that doesn't sound practical to me.

Here's the biggest technically portable "solar generator" battery I'm aware of: https://www.bluettipower.com/products/bluetti-ep500pro-home-battery-backup
$5k for 5.1kWh

Now take their biggest solar panel: https://www.bluettipower.com/products/bluetti-pv420-solar-panel

That solar panel would take 12 hours of perfect conditions (both sun and battery) to refill that battery. I think that battery could give your car a maximum of 2.4kW (120V * 20A), draining it in just over 2 hours and adding 5.5% to your 92kWh Pure/Touring battery or 4.3% for the 118kWh Dream.

Take this all with a grain of salt, I'm neither an electrician nor a physicist, but that doesn't sound practical to me.
Yeah that is not a viable solution. Back to V2H

$5k for 5.1kWh

Yeah that’s a lot of $ for not much power. For some reason I thought Jackery and Anker promised like 3-4 hour charging time off solar and it would last much longer than that but that may not be the case. In any case the best solution is to have home solar, V2H but also S2V so you could divert your solar from sending to the grid to instead send to your “powerwall” which is actually your Lucid. I suspect very very few people will actually ever do this but you gotta start somewhere, progress happens in steps.

Back