Bi directional power to home

AustinAir

Cars
Kia ev6
Last year after a terrible ice storm in Austin, I swore I would be more prepared for this winter. One of the major reasons I bought the lucid and the lucid home charger was the eventual feature where the car can power my breaker / home

Has anyone heard any rumors on this still being on the roadmap? For now I’ll pray we don’t get with an ice storm this year.

FWIW last year my Kia EV6 powered a single power strip which was a literal life saver for my infant daughter at the time.. car powered a space heater!

Last year after a terrible ice storm in Austin, I swore I would be more prepared for this winter. One of the major reasons I bought the lucid and the lucid home charger was the eventual feature where the car can power my breaker / home

Has anyone heard any rumors on this still being on the roadmap? For now I’ll pray we don’t get with an ice storm this year.

FWIW last year my Kia EV6 powered a single power strip which was a literal life saver for my infant daughter at the time.. car powered a space heater!
There have been some progress on bi-diectional capability.

Now you can charge another EV from your Lucid.

That's v2v and not v2h but it does demonstrate the capability is there and Lucid just needs to release it.

Lucid hasn't announced when so the wait is on.

That said, I think it's better to buy because of an existing proven feature like your Kia v2L or Ford V2H rather than buying a promised feature because the wait for fulfillment might be very long.

Hi AustinAir,
There are several threads discussing this topic but no one has any idea of the time frame for the release of V2H. Very disappointing as you pointed out that this was a selling feature that was "upcoming" and helped sell the car and the home charging station to you.

V2H or V2G may take a while. But now that V2V is implemented, relatively simple V2L - a la Kia or Hyundai - should be doable.

I did try a J1772 NEMA 5-15 adapter when the V2V kit arrived, but it didn’t work :(

I agree with everything said here. And although I personally won't use V2H, I do think the potential for it could be big.

As for why it has been delayed, I think it's likely just priorities. If you've noticed, Lucid is not selling a lot of cars right now. It's clear the top priority is making sure Gravity ships on time late this year, so that Lucid can have many, many more customers than they currently have.

Shipping a feature to existing customers that enhances their experience is important. Don't get me wrong. But if you look at the total impact, we're talking about helping out maybe 10k customers, a small fraction of whom will actually use V2H. And making that happen will involve tons of red tape from local utilities, so it's largely out of Lucid's hands.

Versus shipping Gravity, which is mostly internal, and could easily generate 10-20k new customers in its first year alone.

Once Gravity is out the door, and Lucid has 30-40k customers, releasing V2H will have a much larger impact.

I have no doubt V2H will happen eventually. I just wouldn't expect it this year. If I'm proven wrong on this, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Joec, I understand and agree with your points As a stockholder and owner - Lucid has bigger fish to fry. It's just a little disappointing to be told of an upcoming feature that would be useful to you at time of purchase, only to see, a year later, that there is no mention of a roll out date...🫥

Last edited:

While we wait for V2H, when it comes to quality of life matter, you could look into one of these Ecoflow Delta Pro Ultra. You could charge them numerous different ways including from EV charger.

I agree with everything said here. And although I personally won't use V2H, I do think the potential for it could be big.

As for why it has been delayed, I think it's likely just priorities. If you've noticed, Lucid is not selling a lot of cars right now. It's clear the top priority is making sure Gravity ships on time late this year, so that Lucid can have many, many more customers than they currently have.

Shipping a feature to existing customers that enhances their experience is important. Don't get me wrong. But if you look at the total impact, we're talking about helping out maybe 10k customers, a small fraction of whom will actually use V2H. And making that happen will involve tons of red tape from local utilities, so it's largely out of Lucid's hands.

Versus shipping Gravity, which is mostly internal, and could easily generate 10-20k new customers in its first year alone.

Once Gravity is out the door, and Lucid has 30-40k customers, releasing V2H will have a much larger impact.

I have no doubt V2H will happen eventually. I just wouldn't expect it this year. If I'm proven wrong on this, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Completely agree. Don’t want lucid going on small TAM side quests. I’m probably one of 20 people who bought the car and the brand wall charger for this eventual feature.

As a CEO myself (not a car company thank god lol) every feature has 3 months of extra scope creep. Sometimes best not to do it until you’re ready.

I know it wasn’t ready. I don’t fault lucid on over promises… but given V2V is already here I figured someone may have heard something about v2h.

It’ll be awesome as one lucid is like a ton of powerwalls combined

Joec, I understand and agree with your points As a stockholder and owner - Lucid has bigger fish to fry. It's just a little disappointing to be told of an upcoming feature that would be useful to you at time of purchase, only to see, a year later, that there is no mention of a roll out date...🫥
Yeah try two years later in my case!!

V2H or V2G may take a while. But now that V2V is implemented, relatively simple V2L - a la Kia or Hyundai - should be doable.

I did try a J1772 NEMA 5-15 adapter when the V2V kit arrived, but it didn’t work :(
V2H does involve a lot more than V2L which I think is a good alternative if one gets very few blackouts that are not lengthy. Keep the fridges going and some lights. And, as noted, once you do V2V, V2L should be simple.

My issue with the V2H is the fact when I shopped around for a Charger, what sold me on going with the Lucid charger was strictly their V2H "Roadmap". As has been said here already, it's more than disappointing that over a year later there is virtually no additional information about this from Lucid. My installer had a direct line to some of the Lucid Engineers but yet could not get much info about what to do during the Charger install so when the time came the V2H mods would be minimal. I still have no idea what it will involve - all he was told is it would take some additional HW, similar to what is needed to make the Ford F150 V2H capable. I think before they implement V2H they need to work on integrating the Charger into the Lucid app. I think it will be a necessity, otherwise all setup, configuration, monitoring and control of V2H would have to be via the Web app that we have to use to talk with the Charger today. That web app is abysmal - I said this in a Lucid survey, that the Charger as released was not ready (and still isn't) for Prime time. It should have been integrated with the Lucid app right out of the gate.

What will the HW cost that will connect to the existing Charger? How much will it cost to have that HW installed? When, if ever will this be available? I honestly have given up anticipating anything related to this given it's priority in Lucid's grand scheme of things.

I'm evaluating installing more PV and some residential battery backup for this reason.

Be aware that even if you install a home battery gateway that has a generator input for charging your home batteries by plugging in an external generator, Lucid's V2 solution won't allow your car to act as a generator without a substantial piece of additional hardware. No idea if this would ever come about.

My installer worked directly with Lucid on development and testing of the LCHCS. They had one installed months before it was actually released for purchase in early 2022. He told me there would be some external hardware needed for V2H and most likely as mentioned above some software as well.

Because of the required additional hardware to obtain V2H (see other threads for the discussion of why), I'm sitting this out until they actually announce that it's ready. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Enphase charger because I just installed an Enphase solar system. They estimate the release will be this year - 2024. The bad thing uis that it will still require the associated software update by Lucid, which so far, has no release date.

My issue with the V2H is the fact when I shopped around for a Charger, what sold me on going with the Lucid charger was strictly their V2H "Roadmap". As has been said here already, it's more than disappointing that over a year later there is virtually no additional information about this from Lucid. My installer had a direct line to some of the Lucid Engineers but yet could not get much info about what to do during the Charger install so when the time came the V2H mods would be minimal. I still have no idea what it will involve - all he was told is it would take some additional HW, similar to what is needed to make the Ford F150 V2H capable. I think before they implement V2H they need to work on integrating the Charger into the Lucid app. I think it will be a necessity, otherwise all setup, configuration, monitoring and control of V2H would have to be via the Web app that we have to use to talk with the Charger today. That web app is abysmal - I said this in a Lucid survey, that the Charger as released was not ready (and still isn't) for Prime time. It should have been integrated with the Lucid app right out of the gate.

What will the HW cost that will connect to the existing Charger? How much will it cost to have that HW installed? When, if ever will this be available? I honestly have given up anticipating anything related to this given it's priority in Lucid's grand scheme of things.
yup... I purchased the Lucid adapter and removed my old Tesla one because I thought the V2H would be terrific backup battery supply... like having multiple power walls ready to go... After some bad power outages lasting multiple days, I'm now looking at gas generators to power the house through these episodes... Bummer!!!

Yeah so we just had another power outage this morning. No explanation why but PG&E never tells us what caused the outage. Need V2H soon please!!

Yeah so we just had another power outage this morning. No explanation why but PG&E never tells us what caused the outage. Need V2H soon please!!
Or even V2L would help a lot: 120V to keep a fridge cold.

It would be fun to have a 120V outlet . Is there some reason it's not standard on EVs ?
Yeah so we just had another power outage this morning. No explanation why but PG&E never tells us what caused the outage. Need V2H soon please

One should anticipate more outages as the planet continues to warm.

whole house storage batteries, solar array, well, room to grow food...

Few see what's coming.

get off the grid, then get back on

Last edited:
Or even V2L would help a lot: 120V to keep a fridge cold.
120v 40A is about the same as 240v 20A and it can power a lot more than a fridge assuming the inverter is 20kw

Back