Lucid charger -- bi-directional for powering the house

Other cars that have V2H capability are achieving it by using a full CCS connector on their home wall-mounted EV charging stations (EVSEs), like those on a DC fast charging station, rather than the more-convenient J1772 connector like on Lucid's LHCS and most other companies' EVSEs. They pass DC directly from the car's battery through the CCS connector's DC pins, which powers an inverter built into, or connected to, their EVSE. They don't need a transformer, as the separate inverter has the necessary neutral connection.
Yes, this is exactly what Ford is doing and why they have demos running.

Deane, I thought early on Lucid promoted the fact that they had the inverter already built in to the car whereas others would need an external converter??
It does, or did. I'm frankly baffled by Lucid's V2H plan for the USA and am hoping I'm just missing something (quite possible). Lucid may still be planning to use the Wunderbox for DC->AC for V2H. It would work great in the EU but I don't see an elegant way for it to work in the USA.

For the USA Lucid could punt for 1.5 years and change their home charging station to have a bidirectional NACS port with DC output from the car, and an external inverter (it would be odd to design a new CCS1 LHCS at this point in time). An adapter would let our current CCS1 cars use a new NACS bidirectional charging station for this purpose.

It was my understanding originally that the Lucid Connected Home Charging Station was "bi-directional" capable ....
Lucid's website still says "hardware-ready for bi-directional charging (additional equipment needed for bi-directional charging currently under development)", so that's a positive. It contrasts with the disappearance of information about Android Auto.

Last edited:
Other cars that have V2H capability are achieving it by using a full CCS connector on their home wall-mounted EV charging stations (EVSEs), like those on a DC fast charging station, rather than the more-convenient J1772 connector like on Lucid's LHCS and most other companies' EVSEs. They pass DC directly from the car's battery through the CCS connector's DC pins, which powers an inverter built into, or connected to, their EVSE. They don't need a transformer, as the separate inverter has the necessary neutral connection.
Is that what the new Enphase bi-directional charger does?

Is that what the new Enphase bi-directional charger does?
Yes, in Enphase's case, the inverter is part of the EVSE.

This DC-over-CCS approach seems to be the standard method for achieving V2H going forward. The same idea will also work well after the transition to NACS, as the NACS connector can pass DC.

Last edited:
Was that a Chademo connector they used in the EnPhase video?

In the long run v2h is best done using DC output and enphase is proven technology. This solution works for all evs

In the long run v2h is best done using DC output and enphase is proven technology. This solution works for all evs
Well then that argues against buying the LCHCS if V2H is the goal???

Well then that argues against buying the LCHCS if V2H is the goal???
There could be an upgrade path as was done with the mobile cable and V2V.

Deane, I thought early on Lucid promoted the fact that they had the inverter already built in to the car whereas others would need an external converter??
Yes. That is true. It outputs 240V Ccs and theat is why we are able to use CCS using rangeXtend adpter. It is basically same as L1, L2 in the house and no neutral with the inverter inside Lucid.

Also, unless Tesla also supports DC output (bi-dir CCS) CCS with enphase is an advantage for us CCS folks. I think at some point Tesla might support bi-dir. We of course can get low cost CCS to NACS DCFC adapter.

Back