Chart for home charging rate and breaker size

J Champaigne

Cars
2022 Lucid Air Dream
I understand that the Lucid Connected Home Charging Station has dip switches to derate installations with less than 100 Amp circuit breaker. Is there a chart which shows charging rates for each of the circuit breaker sizes? In other words "I presently have a 60A breaker. What is the payback for upgrading to a larger circuit breaker?". Is there a chart available to indicate the performance levels of each breaker size?

I'm not an electrician, but my understanding is that per code your maximum allowed sustained charging current is 80% of the breaker size. So in my case I have a 100A breaker, my EVSE is set to 80A. In your example, with a 60A breaker you can charge at 48A. On a 50A circuit you can go up to 40A. And when charging on a 15A / 110V outlet you get 12A of sloooow charging.

All assuming appropriately-sized wiring etc of course.

I'm not an electrician, but my understanding is that per code your maximum allowed sustained charging current is 80% of the breaker size. So in my case I have a 100A breaker, my EVSE is set to 80A. In your example, with a 60A breaker you can charge at 48A. On a 50A circuit you can go up to 40A. And when charging on a 15A / 110V outlet you get 12A of sloooow charging.

This is correct.

Thanks. I understand all of that. What I was hoping to see is what is the charging rate in miles/hour for the different installations.

It pretty simple, use the 80% rule explained above and multiply that current by 0.95 to get charge rate in mph. It is a reasonable estimation.
That's a helpful rule of thumb - thanks. Although I guess in my case the multiplication factor would be less because I'm stuck on 208V 🤬

Thanks. I understand all of that. What I was hoping to see is what is the charging rate in miles/hour for the different installations.
I generally don’t use miles/hr as YMMV. I always use kW per hour. kW = amps * volts. Lucid’s L2 max is 80 amps @ 240 volts = 19.2, of which I usually see ~18 kW delivered per hour at my house

It pretty simple, use the 80% rule explained above and multiply that current by 0.95 to get charge rate in mph. It is a reasonable estimation.
So to confirm my understanding,
100amp circuit * 80%= 80amps delivered to car
80 amps * .95 = 76 miles of charge per hour?

Back