NEMA vs Lucid Charging Station vs Tesla Wall Connector

Most of the country does not use non-utility installed, external surge protectors, guessing due to inside locations of service equipment. They are usually connected. Some utility installed surge protectors come off the meter lugs. Rare otherwise.

Not making a joke, but I wonder how anything survives outside in the summer heat I see in AZ.

I have only seen external main service panels and surge devices in AZ TX and Fla. Coming from snowy states, I was shocked the first time I saw a 200 Amp main breaker service panel on the outside of a friend's garage in Fla. That said, the Siemens First Surge devices are IP 67 rated and are often installed on exterior walls in Fla.

The attached pdf from Siemens has tons of info.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Summer in the desert can be tough. My electrician, born and raised in Indiana, told me he almost burnt his hand his first summer here when he casually tried to open an exterior service panel .

I also have the LCHCS because of the promise of V2H. I would wait on the LCHCS until the V2H is real. The other charging options you have are plenty fast enough for your needs.
Hi, what speed are you getting from your LCHCS? I got one due to the deal and I'm only getting 6kw and about 28 mi/hr.

Hi, what speed are you getting from your LCHCS? I got one due to the deal and I'm only getting 6kw and about 28 mi/hr.
What are the amps on your circuit?

My electrician ran a 100 amp line to the LCHCS. I get right around 19kW on the Lucid and 11kW on the Genesis GV60.

DeaneG can you recommend a whole-house surge suppressor or tell me what criteria to look for when choosing one? We do have plenty of lightning here.

DeaneG can you recommend a whole-house surge suppressor or tell me what criteria to look for when choosing one? We do have plenty of lightning here.
Your electrician will choose one that works well in your electrical panel. One kind replaces a typical 240V breaker, and the other type is mounted off to one side in a vacant corner of the electrical panel. Either one will substantially protect every circuit in the house. Material (parts) cost of these is around $100-150.

These are the two types (but be aware there are different kinds of panels if you end up using the breaker-style, and you need to ensure it'll work with yours).

1. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-...ne-Load-Centers-HOM2175SB-HOM2175SB/100182531

2. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-...rge-Protection-Device-HEPD80-HEPD80/203540660

The second kind comes in various levels of protection from 25kA to 80kA, and can be installed next to / in any residential service panel (hence "universal"). This is the one I have installed.

Back