NEMA vs Lucid Charging Station vs Tesla Wall Connector

amperage

Cars
Air Grand Touring
I'm a longtime Tesla owner turned Lucid Air owner (loving the Air!), and have an important home charging question/dilemma: should I go with a "versatile" industrial NEMA 14-50 receptacle with 60A breaker, versus purchase the relatively pricey but fast Lucid Connected Home Charging Station and set up with appropriate conductors and 100A breaker, versus use my existing Tesla-branded Wall Connector (currently set up with 60A breaker)? It would be most convenient for me to use my existing Tesla Wall Connector and charge at 48A; I've read a little about adapters for Tesla to J1772/CCS so it'd work with Air. However, using a 3rd party adapter sort of worries me (overheating, "breaking warranty," etc). Lucid obviously won't endorse the third parter adapter. Am I overthinking this? Any wisdom is appreciated!

1) 14-50 receptacles are limited to a 50A breaker
2) I was in the same situation and just swapped Lucid's Home Charging System in to replace my hardwired Tesla Wall Connector (both at 60A breaker). Works great and I didn't need to have new wires run. I may upgrade the LHCS to a 100-amp connection if/when V2H is released - hence the purchase of the LHCS rather than a ChargePoint Home Flex for this spot.

1) 14-50 receptacles are limited to a 50A breaker
2) I was in the same situation and just swapped Lucid's Home Charging System in to replace my Tesla Wall Connector (both at 60A breaker). Works great. I may upgrade the LHCS to a 100-amp connection if/when V2H is released - hence the purchase of the LHCS rather than a ChargePoint Home Flex for this spot.
Sorry yes you are 100% correct - I meant to type 50A breaker for the NEMA option!

We opted to install two NEMA 14-50 plugs in our garage for flexibility. We have both a Tesla Model S and a Lucid Air and are free to swap charging spots (as we did when troubleshooting whether it was the house supply or the charging cable that was causing our Lucid to interrupt charging prematurely.). Also, we have had a Tesla Model 3, a VW ID.4, and a Chevy Bolt charge in our garage during overnight stays. Next week we are are having a third NEMA 14-50 plug installed in preparation for the arrival of the Gravity.

With plugs it's just easier to play musical chairs when charging multiple EVs instead of with wall connectors dedicated to specific charging standards.

FWIW I have the ChargePoint Home Flex for my wife's EV, can take a 60A breaker and has a light flexible cable with nice-feeling connector handle and very convenient cable storage with connector holster.

Lucid's LHCS has a much beefier cable, not quite as nice a connector handle, and you just drape the connector over the unit like most EVSE's.

Thank you, I really appreciate the input. Regarding charging different EVs from various manufacturers in the same garage, I envision this may happen for some of our houseguests in the near future… The fast Lucid charging station will certainly allow for other CCS vehicles, correct? The vehicle’s on-board charger, say in a BMW i5, will adjust current appropriately. So, this has the same effect as having multiple NEMA receptacles, correct? Using a Tesla provided adapter to fit NACS will work for Tesla owners.

I'm a longtime Tesla owner turned Lucid Air owner (loving the Air!), and have an important home charging question/dilemma: should I go with a "versatile" industrial NEMA 14-50 receptacle with 60A breaker, versus purchase the relatively pricey but fast Lucid Connected Home Charging Station and set up with appropriate conductors and 100A breaker, versus use my existing Tesla-branded Wall Connector (currently set up with 60A breaker)? It would be most convenient for me to use my existing Tesla Wall Connector and charge at 48A; I've read a little about adapters for Tesla to J1772/CCS so it'd work with Air. However, using a 3rd party adapter sort of worries me (overheating, "breaking warranty," etc). Lucid obviously won't endorse the third parter adapter. Am I overthinking this? Any wisdom is appreciated!
I have Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector that's on 100A breaker, and it can provide up to 80A for older Tesla and my current Lucid Air with 3rd party J1772 adapter.

To reduce cost, just use what you have now and a 3rd party J1772 adapter.

If you are concerned about 3rd party adapter, just pay for the new Tesla Universal Connector that works with both Tesla and J1772 ports.

If you want 80A charging, Tesla current doesn't sell one so you can get that from Lucid.

Thank you, I really appreciate the input. Regarding charging different EVs from various manufacturers in the same garage, I envision this may happen for some of our houseguests in the near future… The fast Lucid charging station will certainly allow for other CCS vehicles, correct? The vehicle’s on-board charger, say in a BMW i5, will adjust current appropriately. So, this has the same effect as having multiple NEMA receptacles, correct? Using a Tesla provided adapter to fit NACS will work for Tesla owners.
All CCS vehicles can use any J1772 charger, including Lucid's. The EVSE ("charger") tells the vehicle how much current is safe to draw, and the vehicle will draw that amount or less as needed. The EVSE is programmed with its permissible current when it is installed (you set it to match the amperage determined by 80% of the circuit breaker size).

It's very handy having one charging station per parking space if you have multiple EVs. No need to ever juggle cars, or negotiate. Both our stations are currently CCS. I imagine in a few years, we'll swap them both out for similar charging stations with NACS connectors.

I have the LCHCS. Before I bought the Lucid I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet and I could use the cable that came with the Lucid to charge using that outlet. I chose to install the LCHCS because I wanted to be ready for the "coming soon" V2H that Lucid promised in late 2021. In any case I can use the LCHCS to charge both the Lucid and my wife's Genesis GV60. The Genesis only charges at 11KW whereas the Lucid charges at 18-19 KW. The LCHCS comes with a very long cable (yes it is bulky) so no need to move the cars.

I have 3 Tesla Wall connectors and use Tesla to J1772 adapters. There are many threads on this subject. Here is a link to one of the threads I contributed to:

The fast Lucid charging station will certainly allow for other CCS vehicles, correct?

Yes. You can also charge other brands of CCS cars using the charging cable that came with your Lucid. So when friends visit in their EVs they don't have to bring their own cables.

Yes. I have a Wallbox and a Lucid EVSE; both CCS. The Lucid EVSE charges my Lucid at 80A, which my wife’s Ioniq 5 can’t even do, so she charges using the Wallbox at 48A.

But she could use either one, as could I, and we have one on each side of the garage; they would just both be running at 48A if we did.

My friend’s Tesla just used the J1772 to NACS adapter it came with.

I have the LCHCS. Before I bought the Lucid I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet and I could use the cable that came with the Lucid to charge using that outlet. I chose to install the LCHCS because I wanted to be ready for the "coming soon" V2H that Lucid promised in late 2021. In any case I can use the LCHCS to charge both the Lucid and my wife's Genesis GV60. The Genesis only charges at 11KW whereas the Lucid charges at 18-19 KW. The LCHCS comes with a very long cable (yes it is bulky) so no need to move the cars.
I also have the LCHCS because of the promise of V2H. I would wait on the LCHCS until the V2H is real. The other charging options you have are plenty fast enough for your needs.

I have to admit, the 80 mi/hr charge rate is pretty nice! Although not necessary for routine overnight charges, in a pinch would be really nice to have. I’m thinking: forgot to plug in and need to make a long commute for work, utilize full AC charge rate capability of the Air, etc.

I have to admit, the 80 mi/hr charge rate is pretty nice! Although not necessary for routine overnight charges, in a pinch would be really nice to have. I’m thinking: forgot to plug in and need to make a long commute for work, utilize full AC charge rate capability of the Air, etc.
This is exactly the reason I did it. I actually couldn't even use the V2H without some very annoying trenching, but I liked the ability to get a full charge when my ADHD inevitably forgets to plug in the one night I needed to. In the morning I can plug in and grab a lot of charge in an hour or two in a pinch.

Ordered the Lucid connected home charging station! I am really looking forward to those charge rates at home. Slightly off topic but related as my electrician is recommending it at time of wall unit install: for those who have researched it, do you find that a whole home surge suppressor is worth the investment? Have you heard about significant voltage fluctuations with home EV chargers (in general)?

Slightly off topic but related as my electrician is recommending it at time of wall unit install: for those who have researched it, do you find that a whole home surge suppressor is worth the investment? Have you heard about significant voltage fluctuations with home EV chargers (in general)?
My experience is that utility-based voltage surges never happen.

Slightly off topic but related as my electrician is recommending it at time of wall unit install: for those who have researched it, do you find that a whole home surge suppressor is worth the investment? Have you heard about significant voltage fluctuations with home EV chargers (in general)?
A whole-home surge suppressor is meant to protect your equipment from upstream surges (as in coming from the power lines), not from devices in your house. I don't see any relation to installing an EV charger. However, if you're getting work done in your panel for your charger, you may as well add a surge suppressor at the same time. It should be relatively cheap, probably $50-$100 in materials. Don't let them sell you on some pay-over-time scam like I've heard from some power companies. Chances are you'll never need it, and anecdotal evidence here will say the same, but it'd say the same about home insurance too.

(Disclaimer: Not an electrician, only mildly electrically competent)

EV charging won't cause transients on your home's power. If you live in an area with frequent lightning, or like I do, have overhead high voltage lines that are sometimes subject to arcing from nearby tall trees, I think it's definitely worth having a whole-house surge suppressor installed when the electrician has your panel open anyway. Material cost is about $100 and labor is minimal.

Back