Tesla wall charger to Lucid set up

Asked that very question and service advisor told me to be careful because a customer used an adapter, bricked his battery, voided warranty and $10k to replace. That prompted a ton of doubt but thought best to ask here first.
If you look in Ebay or Amazon, there must be a hundred cheap Chinese no name adapters. Good luck collecting on a warranty from two guys selling from a garage in Guangzhou that also sell vibrators and wigs. Or is it vibrating wigs? The lectron and tesla tap seems to be the only after market adapters with legitimate electronics engineering.

If you look in Ebay or Amazon, there must be a hundred cheap Chinese no name adapters. Good luck collecting on a warranty from two guys selling from a garage in Guangzhou that also sell vibrators and wigs. Or is it vibrating wigs? The lectron and tesla tap seems to be the only after market adapters with legitimate electronics engineering.
True. But sometimes I wonder: as Wunderbar as the wunderbox why do I wunder if it would cook the car should I try the toddler equivalent of sticking a fork in a socket? Surely as it throttles up for max current, it should throttle down for a hotwire. Or am I giving the engineering too much credit?

Asked that very question and service advisor told me to be careful because a customer used an adapter, bricked his battery, voided warranty and $10k to replace. That prompted a ton of doubt but thought best to ask here first.
sorry but there needs to be more to this story.

I am not the nerdy tech type but it is very unlikely that using a tesla adaptor could cause such damage.

I am and have been charging my 2 EVs using a gen 2 tesla EVSE and a teslatap adaptor for about two years and have never had any kind of a glitch

sorry but there needs to be more to this story.

I am not the nerdy tech type but it is very unlikely that using a tesla adaptor could cause such damage.

I am and have been charging my 2 EVs using a gen 2 tesla EVSE and a teslatap adaptor for about two years and have never had any kind of a glitch
SOME adapters may not be properly made, and could cause failures. Teslataps though should be fine!

Is anybody concerned about voiding their warranty or causing damage to the battery or charging port long-term with an aftermarket adapter? When I was purchasing my lucid, I was inquiring about adapters as I have a Tesla wall charger already and the sales rep said that it would void the warranty, and could possibly cause damage to the Battery but more likely to the charging port itself. Thoughts?
A company can't void a warranty just because you use a third party accessory. That being said, damage caused by you isn't covered by warranty in the first place, so a defective adapter that actually causes damage will result in damage that's not covered by the warranty. The warranty will still apply to everything else covered by warranty, as long as the device didn't damage it.

It's hard to say what sort of damage could be caused. With Tesla, they made a point of saying that damage from charging, even if it's your fault, would be covered by warranty. The car should be able to detect problems.

My wife thinks it's odd that her Tesla on the Tesla charger doesn't charge as fast as my Lucid on her Tesla charger.
It's because of how charging speed is measured. A more efficient car will go more miles on a given amount of electricity than a less efficient one, so adding the same amount to the battery at the same speed would be reflected as adding more miles in the same amount of time. It's a bit like saying that the 2x concentrated laundry detergent pours out of the bottle twice as fast as the 1x, because it takes half the time to pour out enough for a load. It still pours at the same speed but you don't need as much. Likewise you don't need to use as much electricity to go 100 miles in a Lucid as you do in a Model S, so to add 100 miles of range, you stop charging a Lucid sooner. You've added less but you need less.

Also, the device itself isn't a charger. The charger is built into the car. The charging equipment delivers power from the mains that is unchanged, and is essentially an intelligent power cord that tells the car what to expect and won't let the power flow until the car asks for it.

Last edited:
I have been using my Tesla Wall Charger since I got my AGT. I don't really have a problem charging but I want to replace it with the Lucid Wall Charger.

My problem is that I have been told by 2 electricians that I do not have 100 AMP available and they will have to upgrade my system.

Will I be able to do bidirectional charging once available, without upgrading my circuit? If this is not possible, will it still be worthwhile to get the Lucid Wall Charger?

Thanks.

I have been using my Tesla Wall Charger since I got my AGT. I don't really have a problem charging but I want to replace it with the Lucid Wall Charger.

My problem is that I have been told by 2 electricians that I do not have 100 AMP available and they will have to upgrade my system.

Will I be able to do bidirectional charging once available, without upgrading my circuit? If this is not possible, will it still be worthwhile to get the Lucid Wall Charger?

Thanks.
No one knows any extra info about bi-directional charging. My Lucid Wall Charger is installed on an existing 30-amp line until I can pull my ass together and clean out my other garage where I had a 100-amp line installed.

No one knows any extra info about bi-directional charging. My Lucid Wall Charger is installed on an existing 30-amp line until I can pull my ass together and clean out my other garage where I had a 100-amp line installed.
I'll be happy to help.

Thanks.

I recommend continuing using your Tesla wallcharger as so many of us are already doing.

I can’t imagine any scenario where I’d require my car to feed electricity to my house. Even less than likely if I’m looking at having to upgrade my electrical box first.

I recommend continuing using your Tesla wallcharger as so many of us are already doing.

I can’t imagine any scenario where I’d require my car to feed electricity to my house. Even less than likely if I’m looking at having to upgrade my electrical box first.
Got it. Thanks.

Agree. I have a Tesla Wall Adapter at home, wired for 100Amp (100A circuit breaker and appropriate wiring, charger DIP switches set to 80A delivery), and I bought the relatively expensive 80A TeslaTap Mini (https://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160) for the Lucid. It works great, and charges as fast as you'll ever see from an AC charger. My wife thinks it's odd that her Tesla on the Tesla charger doesn't charge as fast as my Lucid on her Tesla charger.
The faster charging has to do with the Lucid, not the adapter.

Back