Home Charger Compatibility

BradSholl

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, R1S, M3
Does anyone know of a reason a Lucid Air wouldn’t charge properly from a Rivian home wall charger? I’m looking at buying one and the charger is included in the deal. Up til now, I’ve simply been using the Lucid cable plugged directly into a 14-50 outlet, in turn connected via a 50A breaker to a 100A sub panel. It would be relatively simple to replace the outlet with a hardwired 60A circuit with the Rivian charger on it.

Anyone using Rivian’s charger?

Does anyone know of a reason a Lucid Air wouldn’t charge properly from a Rivian home wall charger? I’m looking at buying one and the charger is included in the deal. Up til now, I’ve simply been using the Lucid cable plugged directly into a 14-50 outlet, in turn connected via a 50A breaker to a 100A sub panel. It would be relatively simple to replace the outlet with a hardwired 60A circuit with the Rivian charger on it.

There is no reason it should not work.

my question is why spend the money!

Any J-1772 charger should work. Even a Tesla charger with an adapter will work.

I got a Lectron V-Box which does nothing but provide current (no connectivity), It was the cheapest 48 amp charger I could find. Works great.

I will replace it with the Rivian charger when I get a Rivian.

You will have to do more than replace the circuit. The wiring will have to be replaced as it won’t be the right gauge for 60 amps. The extra amperage is just not going to make much a difference. If you were going to add something, I would leave the 50 amp circuit and run a 100 amp one with a Lucid Home charger. That will double your charging speed.

Honestly, I don’t have a need for the Lucid charger. Don’t need V2H since I have a natural gas backup generator. The 100A sub panel was an 80’ run, so a second line, not to mention the price of Lucid’s charger, would be overspend. We don’t drive long distances on a daily basis so I generally charge the AGT once a week or so. Just need a charger with a 25’ cable to reach the bay the Rivian will occupy. Any electrician-types out there know if a 5’ run of 6 gauge wire is sufficient for a 48A charger on a 60A breaker? Haven’t researched that yet...

Back