Car won't charge all of a sudden

Joshua M

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Pure
My Lucid will not charge using the mobile wall connector on a NEMA 14-50 plug anymore. Car gives me a "charging error", sometimes switches to "charging" status but no power is being registered. I did notice this started with the cold weather we have been having recently. Currently sitting on 27% at home. Closest charging station from me is well out of range and I am basically trapped with my car at home. What's going on?

My Lucid will not charge using the mobile wall connector on a NEMA 14-50 plug anymore. Car gives me a "charging error", sometimes switches to "charging" status but no power is being registered. I did notice this started with the cold weather we have been having recently. Currently sitting on 27% at home. Closest charging station from me is well out of range and I am basically trapped with my car at home. What's going on?
Take a picture of your charging screen

Possible problems:
1. charging cable
2 house/wiring/outlet
3. car
Do you know anybody else with a home charger that you can try? Do you have a second cable you can try, perhaps the one that came with the car?

Take a picture of your charging screen
This is what's been happening. Says it's charging with no power, then error. Tried using a regular wall outlet and same thing.

Attachments

• IMG_6834.png
    IMG_6834.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6835.png
    IMG_6835.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
This is what's been happening. Says it's charging with no power, then error. Tried using a regular wall outlet and same thing.
Have you tried a different charger?

I have not, the mobile one that came with the car is all I have.
Check Plugshare.com - there are tons of J1772 charging stations you could try in Port Aransas to narrow down the problem between charging cable vs car.
Port Aransas charging stations.png

I have not, the mobile one that came with the car is all I have.
Well, before calling service, it’s best to determine whether the problem is with your charger or your car. Just take it somewhere and charge it. You must have a friend or neighbor who has a charger at his home… Or use any of the level 2 chargers indicated by the post above.

Check Plugshare.com - there are tons of J1772 charging stations you could try in Port Aransas to narrow down the problem between charging cable vs car.
View attachment 17765
I will try this. Despite what plug share says, these business here are stingy with who they let use the chargers. I know one hotel in the area might let me, I'll see if I can check that. Electric cars are not popular down here, phoning a friend or finding someone is out of the question for me.

Is your outlet a GFCI? I recollect that when I had my ChargePoint Flex installed it specified no GFCI. I just depended on my electrician. I did not have any interruption with charging either with the CP system or after it was removed before I moved a 14-50 outlet and the Lucid cable. Just an idea.

Is your outlet a GFCI? I recollect that when I had my ChargePoint Flex installed it specified no GFCI. I just depended on my electrician. I did not have any interruption with charging either with the CP system or after it was removed before I moved a 14-50 outlet and the Lucid cable. Just an idea.
No GFCI on my outlet

Well, before calling service, it’s best to determine whether the problem is with your charger or your car. Just take it somewhere and charge it. You must have a friend or neighbor who has a charger at his home… Or use any of the level 2 chargers indicated by the post above.
For sure. I'll see what I can do, like I said the businesses here are stingy with letting people use their stations if you're not a guest. One might let me though so I'll see. No errors flashing on my charging cable and a regular wall outlet does not work so very weird.

I will try this. Despite what plug share says, these business here are stingy with who they let use the chargers. I know one hotel in the area might let me, I'll see if I can check that. Electric cars are not popular down here, phoning a friend or finding someone is out of the question for me.
You don’t know a single person with a CCS EV?

Yeah - get a ChargePoint account setup and head over to alister square inn, looks like that’s the closest cp location

For sure. I'll see what I can do, like I said the businesses here are stingy with letting people use their stations if you're not a guest. One might let me though so I'll see. No errors flashing on my charging cable and a regular wall outlet does not work so very weird.
Did your mobile charger work before? Have you ensured your outlet works properly? Is it a 110 or 220? Check to make sure the mobile charger is completely plugged in. The cable from the wall into the transformer box sometimes gets loose and won't register. Also, like a previous poster mentioned, any light sequence on your charger?

Did your mobile charger work before? Have you ensured your outlet works properly? Is it a 110 or 220? Check to make sure the mobile charger is completely plugged in. The cable from the wall into the transformer box sometimes gets loose and won't register. Also, like a previous poster mentioned, any light sequence on your charger?
Outlets do work, and I've tried both 110 and 220. No error lights on charger.

Update: Went to local hotel, thankfully they allowed me to test the car and see if it would charge at least. Same error, has to be something with the car. Waiting on a call back from service. We tried some tried some trouble shooting over the phone, no luck :(

Update: Went to local hotel, thankfully they allowed me to test the car and see if it would charge at least. Same error, has to be something with the car. Waiting on a call back from service. We tried some tried some trouble shooting over the phone, no luck :(
I'm glad you've got the problem isolated. Best of luck getting it fixed quickly - ask for a loaner vehicle.

Back