Charging issues

ultragasman

Cars
lucid touring
I posted this on the lucid owners thread on Facebook and I imagine many people crossover, so I apologize if this is something you read already.

Has anyone had trouble charging their car? My touring has 3000 miles and is 3 months old. In the last week or two I’ve noticed that when I charge it will randomly stop charging and give me an error message telling me to unplug and replug. When I do this it sometimes restarts, sometimes not. Sometimes it won’t even start charging at all. I took it on a 350 mile trip this weekend. I charged up to 430 before leaving, stopped to charge after about 150 miles at which point the car had dropped around 200 miles of range, meaning I had 230 remaining. After about 10 minutes and adding 40 miles range it stopped and would not restart. The same thing has happened to me at home, at work at multiple of the 6 chargers there, and at electrify America, and even on a 120 wall outlet, so I must conclude this is a problem with my car, not with the chargers. I spoke with customer service in real time as this was happening, so they witnessed the problem, but they didn’t know why it was happening. At first they suggested it was a problem with my charger at work but that was before I had the problem elsewhere. Also nobody else with their teslas, fords etc has any problem. They said they will send a technician. One other note, occasionally when I charge it will randomly fluctuate, charging at 40 mi/hr but then down to 10 mi/hr, then 0 mi/hr then back up to 30 or 40 etc. On my trip this weekend I returned home with 40 miles remaining, plugged in at home, and fortunately it charged without an issue, but that didn’t alleviate my weekend anxiety, more or less partially ruining the weekend.

I posted this on the lucid owners thread on Facebook and I imagine many people crossover, so I apologize if this is something you read already.

Has anyone had trouble charging their car? My touring has 3000 miles and is 3 months old. In the last week or two I’ve noticed that when I charge it will randomly stop charging and give me an error message telling me to unplug and replug. When I do this it sometimes restarts, sometimes not. Sometimes it won’t even start charging at all. I took it on a 350 mile trip this weekend. I charged up to 430 before leaving, stopped to charge after about 150 miles at which point the car had dropped around 200 miles of range, meaning I had 230 remaining. After about 10 minutes and adding 40 miles range it stopped and would not restart. The same thing has happened to me at home, at work at multiple of the 6 chargers there, and at electrify America, and even on a 120 wall outlet, so I must conclude this is a problem with my car, not with the chargers. I spoke with customer service in real time as this was happening, so they witnessed the problem, but they didn’t know why it was happening. At first they suggested it was a problem with my charger at work but that was before I had the problem elsewhere. Also nobody else with their teslas, fords etc has any problem. They said they will send a technician. One other note, occasionally when I charge it will randomly fluctuate, charging at 40 mi/hr but then down to 10 mi/hr, then 0 mi/hr then back up to 30 or 40 etc. On my trip this weekend I returned home with 40 miles remaining, plugged in at home, and fortunately it charged without an issue, but that didn’t alleviate my weekend anxiety, more or less partially ruining the weekend.
Keep us posted on what service says.

Many people have reported problems with EA where an error will occur during charging and the car will stop charging and not restart until you unplug and plug back in. It is an issue with EA not your car. In these cases it is best to switch to a different plug.

For level 2 charging, your car should not stop charging unless there is an error with the EVSE that you are using. You should ask service, as you have, to investigate this. Customer care does not trust workplace chargers so when I have had issues in the past they always ask me to reproduce it at home using the mobile charger that same with the car.

The varying charge rate that you see during level 2 charging is normal behavior. I had service investigate this. It happens when it is hot out and the battery cooling cycles on and off. The power from the EVSE is diverted to cooling the battery and the charge rate to the battery decreases. While service says this is normal, it is not desirable. In fact, last summer the car would run the battery cooling at a low constant level rather than cycling on and off like it does now. I preferred the old way better.

Many people have reported problems with EA where an error will occur during charging and the car will stop charging and not restart until you unplug and plug back in. It is an issue with EA not your car. In these cases it is best to switch to a different plug.

For level 2 charging, your car should not stop charging unless there is an error with the EVSE that you are using. You should ask service, as you have, to investigate this. Customer care does not trust workplace chargers so when I have had issues in the past they always ask me to reproduce it at home using the mobile charger that same with the car.

The varying charge rate that you see during level 2 charging is normal behavior. I had service investigate this. It happens when it is hot out and the battery cooling cycles on and off. The power from the EVSE is diverted to cooling the battery and the charge rate to the battery decreases. While service says this is normal, it is not desirable. In fact, last summer the car would run the battery cooling at a low constant level rather than cycling on and off like it does now. I preferred the old way better.
Thanks for the reply. This isn’t just an EA problem or a problem at any one charger. It has happened at many chargers and I can’t get it to restart charging even if I unplug and replug.

Thanks for the reply. This isn’t just an EA problem or a problem at any one charger. It has happened at many chargers and I can’t get it to restart charging even if I unplug and replug.
That definitely sounds like a service issue (and not one I've heard of before). Let us know how It ends up!

I have had this happen at EA multiple times this week - as well as the 3 EA facilities that are within my use radius have had at least 2 of the 4, and often all 4, stations unavailable for days on end. This is the type of unreliability that gives all the ICE proponents a field day in criticizing the EV movement :(

This only happens to me at EA chargers. 4 separate times trying multiple chargers. I brought it up to service as it's going in for an unrelated issue and they said they'd look into it.

Back