RESOLVED Level Two Charging Issue

terrygone

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Touring
I have owned my Lucid Touring for 9 Months now & driven it 4,600 miles. "Love the car and no other issues to date". I have a Lucid Home Charging Station connected on a 100 amp circuit breaker. It has worked flawlessly until last week after returning from a trip out of town. I've been able to DC fast charge successfully at all Electrify America DC fast chargers while out of town. I'm getting a charger error while initiating a charge every time I attempt to use my Lucid Home Charger. The error happens during the process of when Lucid's Interface is attempting to determine the state of charge & how much charging time remains. It times out and states: "Unplug" charging cable and Retry. After several attempts to charge at home with the same results I charged at the local Electrify America DC fast charger. I also tried using a level two charger at a friend's home with the same results. I Called Lucid Customer Care for advice and was informed to continue charging at the local DC fast chargers for the time being. They believe a pending software update may resolve the issue. Lucid scheduled my car for pick up on 29 Nov. 23. They also informed me there are others having issues with level two charging which could be resolved with an upcoming software update. Has anyone had this issue with home charging and resolved a similar issue?

Hmm... no not me. And I'm sure if it were common there would be more posts about it here. Did you try breaking out the charger that came OEM with your car and try that?

When these issues arise, it’s really important to figure out whether it is your charger, cable, or car. Try different combinations to determine which of the three is having an issue. Most often, at least here on the forum, it has been an inconsistent power supply to the outlet/charger or a low quality outlet or installation. Of course, this isn’t always true and it certainly could be your car in the case, but I think narrowing it down before sending it off to service is a good idea.

I also tried using a level two charger at a friend's home with the same results.
Try different combinations to determine which of the three is having an issue.
I think he determined his car is having issues with level-2 charging. I would suggest, however, that he also tries using the mobile charger, even if it's on a 120V plug (Level-1) as a sanity test.

Agree with @Bobby, I would try to isolate what the issue is. Haven't had any issues with my Lucid home charger, other than an early connection issue which I posted on separate thread. No issues since though.

Do you know anyone else that has an EV that you could test on your charger?

Hmm... no not me. And I'm sure if it were common there would be more posts about it here. Did you try breaking out the charger that came OEM with your car and try that?
Yes ! Same result exactly. Also tried a friends level two charger at his house. Again ! Same result exactly. Note: He isn't having problems charging his Grand Touring.

When these issues arise, it’s really important to figure out whether it is your charger, cable, or car. Try different combinations to determine which of the three is having an issue. Most often, at least here on the forum, it has been an inconsistent power supply to the outlet/charger or a low quality outlet or installation. Of course, this isn’t always true and it certainly could be your car in the case, but I think narrowing it down before sending it off to service is a good idea.
Having tried everything Lucid's service personnel requested I'm almost sure it's a vehicle , or software problem. A software update is due soon & I'm hoping it will solve the problem.

At this point, I would tend to agree that it's a vehicle as opposed to charger issue. Although it's possible an update would solve the problem, it's good you have an appointment with your service center...

I have owned my Lucid Touring for 9 Months now & driven it 4,600 miles. "Love the car and no other issues to date". I have a Lucid Home Charging Station connected on a 100 amp circuit breaker. It has worked flawlessly until last week after returning from a trip out of town. I've been able to DC fast charge successfully at all Electrify America DC fast chargers while out of town. I'm getting a charger error while initiating a charge every time I attempt to use my Lucid Home Charger. The error happens during the process of when Lucid's Interface is attempting to determine the state of charge & how much charging time remains. It times out and states: "Unplug" charging cable and Retry. After several attempts to charge at home with the same results I charged at the local Electrify America DC fast charger. I also tried using a level two charger at a friend's home with the same results. I Called Lucid Customer Care for advice and was informed to continue charging at the local DC fast chargers for the time being. They believe a pending software update may resolve the issue. Lucid scheduled my car for pick up on 29 Nov. 23. They also informed me there are others having issues with level two charging which could be resolved with an upcoming software update. Has anyone had this issue with home charging and resolved a similar issue?
Unfortunately 3 months ago I had the same issue I was using level 3 charging when I returned home My level 2 charger was constantly failing the car would not allow a charge whatsoever the interior was show red lights the port itself would show a red light then the port .....

The car has been in service now for approximately 2 months they've changed the Wonder box they've changed the battery HV unit they found other issues where the air conditioner was drawing too much so they changed the compressor they also changed the front drive unit the only unit that hasn't been changed in the vehicle so far has been the rear drive unit... I hope to be getting the vehicle back within the next couple of weeks but other issues came up a leak in the rear window which was causing water to accumulate on the electrical control unit located in the left rear of the trunk so this module needs to be replaced and we're waiting for its replacement apparently they do not have spare parts for the critical CPU components.....

Hi, @terrygone. Thank you for sharing. I just sent you a DM.

(Resolved). Home charging problem resolved with OTA software update to v 2.1.42 Have successfully charged my Lucid Touring three times without incident.
Did you notice if it takes a couple minutes after plug in for the charging to start? Seems longer than I remember.

Charging the car for the first time yesterday after update to 2.1.4.2
The fan was on continuously for 4 hours.
Garage's temp was 77 F. ChargePoint hardwired, getting 11 kW.
Tried the Lucid charger as well as the Lucid cable at the SC today. Fand didn't come.
Tried it again at home just now for 30 minutes and the fan was on the entire time.
Plugged the ChargePoint in another EV. No problem here. Fan remained off as expected with the 77F ambient temp.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Charging the car for the first time yesterday after update to 2.1.4.2
The fan was on continuously for 4 hours.
Garage's temp was 77 F. ChargePoint hardwired, getting 11 kW.
Tried the Lucid charger as well as the Lucid cable at the SC today. Fand didn't come.
Tried it again at home just now for 30 minutes and the fan was on the entire time.
Plugged the ChargePoint in another EV. No problem here. Fan remained off as expected with the 77F ambient temp.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
So your Chargepoint charger is triggering the fan, but the Lucid cable does not. Weirddddddddddddddddddddddddd

No kidding!
Should I be worried about taking the car on a trip?
Have you tried at a DCFC or a Tesla destination charger or another L2?

Have you tried at a DCFC or a Tesla destination charger or another L2?
No, I haven't.
Planning to do that in next couple of days since we're staying in town.
I don't think this is related to ChargePoint because I just used the Lucid cable on the outlet and the fan came on instantly.
Why didn't the fab come on at Lucid SC.? If anything, I'd say the battery must have been hot after the 10-mile drive, as opposed to the car having been in the garage most of the night.
Should not be related to the update since nobody else on the forum seemed to experience the same problem.

No, I haven't.
Planning to do that in next couple of days since we're staying in town.
I don't think this is related to ChargePoint because I just used the Lucid cable on the outlet and the fan came on instantly.
Why didn't the fab come on at Lucid SC.? If anything, I'd say the battery must have been hot after the 10-mile drive, as opposed to the car having been in the garage most of the night.
Should not be related to the update since nobody else on the forum seemed to experience the same problem.
77 degrees should be a nice temperature. It seems that your Chargepoint is 11kW where the mobile charger is 9kW. The fans cool either the battery or the Wunderbox (Voltage boost and DC to AC conversion) or both. If it is on the edge of needing cooling, the higher power may trigger the fans. I would not worry too much about it. Maybe try to charge when the car is cooler, below 70 degrees.

77 degrees should be a nice temperature. It seems that your Chargepoint is 11kW where the mobile charger is 9kW. The fans cool either the battery or the Wunderbox (Voltage boost and DC to AC conversion) or both. If it is on the edge of needing cooling, the higher power may trigger the fans. I would not worry too much about it. Maybe try to charge when the car is cooler, below 70 degrees.
Charged this morning. 60 F. Fan stayed on the whole time.
The Wunderbox was replaced in August.
Something is not right.

I am getting most of the issue, when on the air update is pending. So looks like it related to that. Once you update the car software, issue must be resolved.

Back