Air Pure DC Fast Charging

20240229_102055.jpg

That's the fastest I was able to get my 2023 Pure AWD. This speeds literally lasts for a second and then drops like a brick. To achieve this, you have to have mercury in retrograde, kiss the lucid logo 3 times and swear to never buy a Tesla.

View attachment 18822
That's the fastest I was able to get my 2023 Pure AWD. This speeds literally lasts for a second and then drops like a brick. To achieve this, you have to have mercury in retrograde, kiss the lucid logo 3 times and swear to never buy a Tesla.

I really wish it could hold these kind of numbers up to like 30 or 40%. I don't understand the fascination with having a crazy high peak rate at a super low SOC. The Lucid charges to 80% slower than my Rivian...which has lower peak and a larger battery but retains 200kW up to 50%.

Totally agree, I used to have an Audi e-tron and the flat charging curve spoiled me.
Kind of strange how Lucid is all about their "amazing battery tech" and has one of the worst charging curves for its class, beaten by 400V battery tech from 2019.

And dont get me started on the genius move of only having a 50KW converter for 400V to 800V 🤦‍♂️

And dont get me started on the genius move of only having a 50KW converter for 400V to 800V 🤦‍♂️
It made a lot of sense when there was no chance Tesla would open their network. CCS charging stations that could only output 400V were also limited to 50kW.

It made a lot of sense when there was no chance Tesla would open their network. CCS charging stations that could only output 400V were also limited to 50kW.
My rivian is 400V and charges at 210kw. I’ve never run into a station that limits to 50kW

My rivian is 400V and charges at 210kw. I’ve never run into a station that limits to 50kW
There were only a few very early CCS charging stations that were limited to 400 volt maximum output. They were all also limited to 50kW.
Soon after that, CCS adopted a minimum of 920 volt output and available power also increased.

Just means you’ve been lucky you haven’t run into a 350 charger undergoing maintenance/having software upgrade where they limit power. Or a 150 charger that will only get to 40 for weeks/months until they fix it.

Totally agree, I used to have an Audi e-tron and the flat charging curve spoiled me.
Kind of strange how Lucid is all about their "amazing battery tech" and has one of the worst charging curves for its class, beaten by 400V battery tech from 2019.

Decisions are made with present knowledge, not perfect future knowledge.

For a long time, CCS had won, and there was zero chance Tesla would open up their network at all. Thus, there was no reason to care about 400v chargers because the world was moving to 1000v.

Now, with NACS winning, we have to deal with antiquated tech in the form of Tesla’s 400V chargers; but nobody had predicted that, including people at Tesla itself, and apparently Lucid.

OTAs can solve a lot of things, but nobody ever has perfect future information, and hardware is more difficult to change.

I suspect the charging curve, over time, will get more aggressive. Lucid tends to be more conservative initially and rarely the first to the party; but once they show up they usually show up with a bang. In that specific way, they share a lot with Apple.

You will not see max initial rate unless you precondition and start below 20% SOC.

Here I am at an EA 350 charger. Preconditioned for ~ 20 min. Started at about 50% SOC see I'm only pulling 118 kW
1709237642757.jpeg
1709238656906.jpeg

...and ended at 65 kW lower than typical
and drove home like an old lady. check out my efficiency on the 9 mile mostly flat 40 mph roads.
1709237585894.jpeg

Also pretty happy with winter (trip B) average = 3.3 mi/kWh which includes very cold days and ski trips...and some speeding.
Here's the EA 150 charger
1709236943612.jpeg

62 kWh in 30 minutes. Started at 24% SOC. Preconditioned for ~ 15 minutes EA 150 charger. Initial rate was ~ 160kW Dam car charges so fast I had to run across the lot...ruins my shopping. Why can't they put the EA chargers in the store next to the chargers for those electric riding shopping carts.
1709239021175.jpeg

I've only seen 322 kW rate on an EA 350 when around 10% SOC. Don't like to get that low...pretty happy with the charging curve. Finding that the 20 minutes to charge the car is not short enough to do nothing, nor long enough to do something.

So the most I've seen so far is a max of 221kW (briefly) when I was at 19% SOC to start. I see the 2 photos here were at 10% and 5% SOC so I suspect that explains the higher start speed for charging. It's interesting though to see above 250kW on a Pure AWD though because I thought 250kW was the max.

So the most I've seen so far is a max of 221kW (briefly) when I was at 19% SOC to start. I see the 2 photos here were at 10% and 5% SOC so I suspect that explains the higher start speed for charging. It's interesting though to see above 250kW on a Pure AWD though because I thought 250kW was the max.
Not too far off. Pure battery pack should be around 675 volts at low SoC, and assuming the car receives at least 400 amps from the charger this would put peak speeds around 270 kW. Lots of factors affecting this, of course.

Back