Electrify America: you may need to open the Lucid App to charge!

Hi, I just took a delivery on my 2023 Lucid Air. My delivery advisor didn't mention that it comes with 2 years EA free charging. Even the website didn't mention about the promotion. I initially thought the EA promotion got phased out. Any thoughts?
View attachment 18248
Congrats! I only got 1 year 😭

Hi, I just took a delivery on my 2023 Lucid Air. My delivery advisor didn't mention that it comes with 2 years EA free charging. Even the website didn't mention about the promotion. I initially thought the EA promotion got phased out. Any thoughts?
View attachment 18248
It's being phased out for the 2024 model year and beyond, I think inventory 2023 cars still get it as you're seeing. Grand Touring came with 2 years free EA, Touring only with 1. Congrats on the car!

It's being phased out for the 2024 model year and beyond, I think inventory 2023 cars still get it as you're seeing. Grand Touring came with 2 years free EA, Touring only with 1. Congrats on the car!
2023 inventory cars are not supposed to get it per the website terms, but its probably a bug in the same way people buying '22 cars are still getting 3 years, or those selling and buying used are not getting their free EA cancelled. It's probably just not being enforced

View attachment 18248
What the heck??? Why’d I only get a year? 😭 it’s only been 1 1/2 months.

Report it to EA? Are you kidding me? Been there/done that! Would rather bang my head against a wall because at least I get immediate feedback that my action is causing an equal an opposite reaction! ;)
I had the same authentication error once out of 5-6 times I used EA charger. Since I didn’t realize I have to open Lucid app to authenticate and given that the stations were busy with many waiting, I started the session using EA app.
Ended up getting charged. Wrote to EA customer support and within a day they responded having reversed the charge but advised me to use only Lucid app in future (ie until I have free charging). So writing to them works.

View attachment 18248
Same here. On their website while booking it said no free charging. But when I first charged my car at EA, it just authenticated on its own with EA app. Later I saw in app that car came with 24 months free Charging. And I took delivery on Jan 31 ‘24

2023 inventory cars are not supposed to get it per the website terms, but its probably a bug in the same way people buying '22 cars are still getting 3 years, or those selling and buying used are not getting their free EA cancelled. It's probably just not being enforced
I did the special 18-mo. lease on a '23 inventory Touring, taking delivery in early Nov. '23, and oddly my car came with 3 years of free EA charging.
Weird that I somehow got a 3-year package on my car, and weirder still since I only leased for 18 months. You'd think they'd adjust the free period to never be longer than the lease. But happy to take advantage of it. Wonder if the remaining 18 months will go to whomever gets the car after my lease is over?
IMG_2564.jpeg

Come to think of it, maybe they do that on purpose as an additional incentive to buy the car at the end of the lease.

View attachment 18248
As your app is showing you have the free charging for 2 years. Try it at EA charging station

I did the special 18-mo. lease on a '23 inventory Touring, taking delivery in early Nov. '23, and oddly my car came with 3 years of free EA charging.
Weird that I somehow got a 3-year package on my car, and weirder still since I only leased for 18 months. You'd think they'd adjust the free period to never be longer than the lease. But happy to take advantage of it. Wonder if the remaining 18 months will go to whomever gets the car after my lease is over?
View attachment 18569

Come to think of it, maybe they do that on purpose as an additional incentive to buy the car at the end of the lease.
This is because the build date on your car is probably from when they were offering 3 years free. So I’m guessing pre September 2023

My October built car had 1 year :(

Heads up #LucidOwnersClub … Lucid has changed its app wrt Electrify America . No longer plug 🔌 &play (charge)! Now you have to open the app, tap the Electrify America icon then tap which charger you’re at. If you do not do that, you’ll get an authentication error 🚨 and won’t be able to charge! You cannot do it on the pilot panel, native to the car!

Sunday 1/28/24 was the last time I used EA without this issue and Tues. 1/30/24 is the first time I used EA and found this update.

Now I can bitch at how there are more steps, but I’m more concerned about loaning somebody my car who doesn’t have the app and won’t be able to free-charge!
View attachment 18046
This is connected to the problems I am seeing on this trip. Something changed in the software, either on EAs end, Lucid or both. Lucid and EA authenticate using different methods. If the authentication can be done with true plug and charge, the system works. If you need to authenticate using the Lucid App,then the likelihood of an authentication error is high. One of several things happen: 1) EA button never pops up on the Lucid App, 2) EA button pops up but it is not the correct station or 3) Button pops up, right station is there but the handshake does not occur correctly and the connection fails, or 4) everything actually works with the added step.

This is connected to the problems I am seeing on this trip. Something changed in the software, either on EAs end, Lucid or both. Lucid and EA authenticate using different methods. If the authentication can be done with true plug and charge, the system works. If you need to authenticate using the Lucid App,then the likelihood of an authentication error is high. One of several things happen: 1) EA button never pops up on the Lucid App, 2) EA button pops up but it is not the correct station or 3) Button pops up, right station is there but the handshake does not occur correctly and the connection fails, or 4) everything actually works with the added step.
Except for one time, my sessions were automatically authorized with clean handshake though I keep the app running. Only that one time I had to disconnect and reconnect the charger and authenticate using the app. So yes, there could be inconsistencies which I am expecting to get better as more and more cars are sold.

Strange, I have never had an issue authorizing via the Lucid app when I have to. Just did it on Saturday. I seem to always have better luck than other people at the station trying to use the EA app or credit card.

I know that you want this to be connected, and maybe it is, but please avoid spamming every possible related thread with your issue. This is in the guidelines:

Please do not post the same post in multiple threads; minor paraphrasing falls into this as well. Please refrain from “shouting” by posting an issue multiple times on multiple threads.

Yes, sometimes the Lucid app requires you to authenticate EA manually. No, your issue of the authentication failing by being one station behind is *not* a common one. That doesn’t make it suck any less, I completely agree - but most people have had no issues authenticating an EA station via the Lucid app when necessary.

That doesn’t mean your issue isn’t important.

Yes, sometimes the Lucid app requires you to authenticate EA manually. No, your issue of the authentication failing by being one station behind is *not* a common one. That doesn’t make it suck any less, I completely agree - but most people have had no issues authenticating an EA station via the Lucid app when necessary.
And still does not obviate the problem of loaning the car out :eek:

And still does not obviate the problem of loaning the car out :eek:
Agreed. My solution when I loaned it to a friend for a trip to LA was just to have him pay for the charges at EA or EVGo or wherever. No more expensive than gas, and actually way more flexibility than limiting oneself to EA.

But I agree the issue is real - I would love for it to always PnC. And when all this free charging nonsense ends, I’ll hook it up with the EA app and we’ll be all good.

I must be doing something wrong??? It's always been plug N play with EA for me. 18 months. Don't even have the app.

Back