Electrify America to change pricing and begin charging Idle fees

I received this email today from Electrify America. Was very glad to hear they'll start charging idle fees.

"Thank you for being part of the Electrify America family and supporting the e-mobility movement. It's electric vehicle (EV) owners like you that make our electric journey possible.

Electrify America is reaching out to make you aware of pricing changes that will soon be taking place.

Beginning August 17, 2023, we’ll shift from uniform energy or time based pricing nationwide to a station-specific pricing model and resume charging for idle fees at most nationwide charging stations. Electrify America's mobile app will have pricing information for a given charger, but you should check the pricing of a charging station at the charger when you start charging.

The Electrify America Terms of Use are changing to reflect these changes. To view Electrify America's new Terms of Use, including a number of important changes, click here. These new terms will be applied when using our mobile app or chargers after August 17, 2023.

This is an ideal time to upgrade to a Pass+ membership, where members save 25% on charging."
Just curious -- how did you get this email? The only way I am connected to EA is via the Lucid App, I dont have a separate EA account, (car was purchased used). Did you create a separate EA account? Let me know if I missed some step here.

I am in favor of local pricing rather than national pricing because it should be lower her in AZ. However, I suspect the California users may not like it.
Strangely on Tesla network, I dont find the california prices to be very different from AZ prices so i am not sure it would vary a ton, but I am not sure how Tesla determined prices nationally or locally. The biggest savings on price in general is people that charge off peak at like 9pm+ but then again who is going to be at a charger then. Does EA use time of use yet?

Strangely on Tesla network, I dont find the california prices to be very different from AZ prices so i am not sure it would vary a ton, but I am not sure how Tesla determined prices nationally or locally. The biggest savings on price in general is people that charge off peak at like 9pm+ but then again who is going to be at a charger then. Does EA use time of use yet?
EVgo switched to peak and off-peak pricing a few months ago. EA has not said anything about it but it does make sense because their cost for electricity will be higher during peak hours.

Just curious -- how did you get this email? The only way I am connected to EA is via the Lucid App, I dont have a separate EA account, (car was purchased used). Did you create a separate EA account? Let me know if I missed some step here.
Yes - I've had an EA account for a long time. The Air is my fifth EV in twelve years of driving electric.

Allelujah!!! Now no more waiting for oblivious, self-absorbed shoppers to come strolling back, weighed down by their Gucci shopping bags, to their Mercedes Benz EVs that long since stopped charging. Infuriating when that happens!

and BAN THEM from the 350kW dispensers!!
Could EA write an algorithm that makes the HyperFast charger unavailable if an UltraFast charger is available at that station? Flash a message on the screen perhaps? That would increase the odds of availability to users who can actually take advantage of the speed.

Allelujah!!! Now no more waiting for oblivious, self-absorbed shoppers to come strolling back, weighed down by their Gucci shopping bags, to their Mercedes Benz EVs that long since stopped charging. Infuriating when that happens!
Unfortunately, I suspect if they can afford their Guccis they won’t worry too much about idle fees.

Unfortunately, I suspect if they can afford their Guccis they won’t worry too much about idle fees.
Yep. Rounding error. Same with speeding tickets. I believe some Nordic countries base speeding ticket price on income. EA fees should follow suit.

Yep. Rounding error. Same with speeding tickets. I believe some Nordic countries base speeding ticket price on income. EA fees should follow suit.
Yes, Finland billed one high roller €54k for speeding, and another paid €116k!

...Idle fees at 1% of salary per minute, anyone?

Back