EA Charging Issues

I have two issues with the Electrify America and one with battery range.
1. I live in the near north suburbs of Chicago. I have not been able to find an unused charger the last 2-3 weeks. I have four EA locations located within 15 miles of my house. Whenever I look at the EA app, it says that all chargers in all 4 locations are in use. I had to wait till after 1:00 AM Sunday to charge my Lucid Air. I check these four charging stations on the EA app several times a day and the app consistently says that are all being used. There were also a few times when the app said 1 or 2 chargers are available but are then occupied by the time I get to that location. Sometimes there are 2-3 other electric cars waiting to use a charger. Extremely frustrating.
2. I also have issues with the EA charging rates. I was at 7% battery life yesterday AM when I finally plugged into a 350 kW "Hyper Fase" charger. The fastest charging rate I got was 138 kW. This charger is a half a mile away from where is live, so I was only able to pre-condition the battery for 3-4 minutes before plugging in. This 138-kWh rate is the highest I have ever gotten when charging my Lucid. These slow charging rates happens regardless of what my battery percentage is. I have had instances where the Hyper Charger is only charging at the rate of 10-12 kW when my battery is half empty. What am I doing wrong?
3. I am also getting abut 50-60% of the range that my Lucid says I should get when I am done charging. For example, I charged battery my Lucid to 450 miles. I was only able to get 250 miles before the battery got to 10%. Please note, I do not drive fast or crazy like some aggressive drivers do. Do other owners have the same or similar issues?
One of the issues I encounter is that EA throttles back the charging speed. It states it on you panel that EA is is restricting the charging rate.

1. I live in the near north suburbs of Chicago. I have not been able to find an unused charger the last 2-3 weeks. I have four EA locations located within 15 miles of my house. Whenever I look at the EA app, it says that all chargers in all 4 locations are in use. I had to wait till after 1:00 AM Sunday to charge my Lucid Air. I check these four charging stations on the EA app several times a day and the app consistently says that are all being used. There were also a few times when the app said 1 or 2 chargers are available but are then occupied by the time I get to that location. Sometimes there are 2-3 other electric cars waiting to use a charger. Extremely frustrating.
2. I also have issues with the EA charging rates. I was at 7% battery life yesterday AM when I finally plugged into a 350 kW "Hyper Fase" charger. The fastest charging rate I got was 138 kW. This charger is a half a mile away from where is live, so I was only able to pre-condition the battery for 3-4 minutes before plugging in. This 138-kWh rate is the highest I have ever gotten when charging my Lucid. These slow charging rates happens regardless of what my battery percentage is. I have had instances where the Hyper Charger is only charging at the rate of 10-12 kW when my battery is half empty. What am I doing wrong?
3. I am also getting abut 50-60% of the range that my Lucid says I should get when I am done charging. For example, I charged battery my Lucid to 450 miles. I was only able to get 250 miles before the battery got to 10%. Please note, I do not drive fast or crazy like some aggressive drivers do. Do other owners have the same or similar issues?
I live in Wisconsin. I use EA charging frequently driving to/from Detroit. There is a scarcity of EA locations in your area and many chargers have been occasionally down for maintenance in the past 6 months. One bright spot of hope. On the other side of Chicagoland (so not helpful to you) there is a new EA location in Michigan City, IN with 6 350 KW chargers. I have been there twice with about 220 KW initial power starting at 20-30% SOC and 45 min preconditioning. Temps 25-40F as of late. So newer EA chargers seem to work better. Worse case I get 150 KW from a 350 KW charger. (Not your locations just generally.) Suggestions: When you can, go to a different location and see if you get better power. Try 45 minutes of preconditioning in cold temps.

I posted recently about range. I observe a 25-30% decline in efficiency in winter temps. I get 4-4.2 on trips in the summer and 2.8-3.2 in the winter. (AT with 19 inch all season tires.)

In addition to modest max speed of 74, more like 65 mph on stretches of I-80/94, equally important is driving style, acceleration, driving in traffic, etc. Using ACC improves my efficiency .3-.5 compared manual use of the accelerator pedal.

Everything you report here is my experience exactly. I wonder if many other owners have strangers come up and ask about the car (always with admiration). I tell them the performance is out of this world, but range is about 1/2 unless temps are 70 and a wind is helping push the car. My greatest complaint right now is the car cannot be taken thru a carwash without risking it becoming convinced that the frunk is open, and one has to reboot the software to get the car back into neutral, and then drive. So I'm not exactly good free advertising for Lucid.

Everything you report here is my experience exactly. I wonder if many other owners have strangers come up and ask about the car (always with admiration). I tell them the performance is out of this world, but range is about 1/2 unless temps are 70 and a wind is helping push the car. My greatest complaint right now is the car cannot be taken thru a carwash without risking it becoming convinced that the frunk is open, and one has to reboot the software to get the car back into neutral, and then drive. So I'm not exactly good free advertising for Lucid.
I answered this concern on the other thread. This thread is about EA, not frunk issues.

I answered this concern on the other thread. This thread is about EA, not frunk issues.
I know, I apologize Bobby. I'm just so frustrated that Lucid is abandoning me with respect to the frunk/carwash issue. You answered my concern, where I posted a video of what happenned the 2nd time, but it did not solve the problem. I'm convinced it is a software issue, and the tech who came to me home felt the only solution was to hand wash the vehicle. So my posting this complaint on this thread is to make other owners aware. Eventually I'll try the car wash again, and will post a new video on the appropriate thread. Thank god the carwash I go to does not allow cars to collide if one doesn't move at the end; they have excellent software and hardware.

I tried to charge at an EA station for the first time today. I have a 2023 GT that I took delivery of in August. When I plugged it in I had a few connection errors but finally got it to say it was connected. There was no free charging and I had to go struggle through using the App and credit card. Don’t the cars come with free Electrify America? I heard all you needed to do is plug it in and it would start

I tried to charge at an EA station for the first time today. I have a 2023 GT that I took delivery of in August. When I plugged it in I had a few connection errors but finally got it to say it was connected. There was no free charging and I had to go struggle through using the App and credit card. Don’t the cars come with free Electrify America? I heard all you needed to do is plug it in and it would start
Has yours been activated? Check your app for information.

Has yours been activated? Check your app for information.
According to the app it has. I’ll try again today on the way home. I was very surprised by my range actually. We drove 350 miles between Atlanta Georgia and Gainesville Florida. We averaged about 80 miles an hour and 2.8 miles/ kWh. Our actual range was insufficient to make the trip without stopping. I estimate a practical range of 315 miles. We do have the big wheels but that’s a pretty disappointing result.

According to the app it has. I’ll try again today on the way home. I was very surprised by my range actually. We drove 350 miles between Atlanta Georgia and Gainesville Florida. We averaged about 80 miles an hour and 2.8 miles/ kWh. Our actual range was insufficient to make the trip without stopping. I estimate a practical range of 315 miles. We do have the big wheels but that’s a pretty disappointing result.
That’s fairly poor efficiency for good weather highway driving even with 21s. I have a Touring with 21s, my lifetime efficiency is currently 3.2mi/kWh including plenty of Fun driving. In summer it was more like 3.5, but now we’re in the 30s-50s regularly. Highway efficiency for me driving with HA set at 75 or 80 has never been below 3, and is usually more like 3.5+ in good (not rainy or too windy) weather.
Have you checked your tire pressure? Were you using ACC/HA, or driving the old fashioned way?

Try the same trip at 70.

That’s fairly poor efficiency for good weather highway driving even with 21s. I have a Touring with 21s, my lifetime efficiency is currently 3.2mi/kWh including plenty of Fun driving. In summer it was more like 3.5, but now we’re in the 30s-50s regularly. Highway efficiency for me driving with HA set at 75 or 80 has never been below 3, and is usually more like 3.5+ in good (not rainy or too windy) weather.
Have you checked your tire pressure? Were you using ACC/HA, or driving the old fashioned way?
I’m using cruise control and my tires are 45 cold. One thing I will say is there is a lot of wind noise and buffing for a car with a .2 cd.

I would rather die lol
I know. It sucks. But there is a massive difference in efficiency between 70 and 80. It’s exponential with speed, not linear.

I’m using cruise control and my tires are 45 cold. One thing I will say is there is a lot of wind noise and buffing for a car with a .2 cd.
hah, but if you are experiencing that much wind noise, you probably had a strong headwind which means you're efficiency will take a dive.

But there is a massive difference in efficiency between 70 and 80.
Not to mention the difference in efficiency between EPA test speed and 70.

If you try to cruise at 80mph, you will surely have to pass trucks and slow cars and slow down on top of the usual traffic and construction zones and average perhaps 72 or 73. If you cruise at 70mph and the speed limit is 70mph, you may average 67. So, in 3 hrs of driving you probably gain 15 min and probably spend more time at the charging stations to get to the same SoC. And of course you either have a radar detector or keep watching the rear view mirror for cops at 80mph. I prefer 70mph and less time at the charging station when I stop.

I had the joy of visiting 3 different EA stations yesterday. At the best functioning station, 66% of the chargers worked. The worst had 50% of the chargers working. All 3 stations has twice as many people waiting for a charge as available chargers. Another frustrated person waiting for a charge said that the nonworking chargers at that last station had been out of service for months.
WTF ?????

I had the joy of visiting 3 different EA stations yesterday. At the best functioning station, 66% of the chargers worked. The worst had 50% of the chargers working. All 3 stations has twice as many people waiting for a charge as available chargers. Another frustrated person waiting for a charge said that the nonworking chargers at that last station had been out of service for months.
WTF ?????
Yes. This is the reality with EA more so in CA. During holiday travel, I would also consider 125kW chargepoint or EVgo. And slow down to increase your range.

WTF ?????
If you pull up, and find a station with a blank screen, try it anyways as PnC bypasses the screen.

And they wonder why so many EVs are sitting on dealer’s lots. Obviously there are other reasons too, but this doesn’t help.

Reactions: DBV
Back