Hardwire your home charging station! Or use a Hubbel / Bryant / Cooper 14-50 receptacle, not Leviton

Had electrician return to check receptacle he installed. It was Leviton and he said he would swap it out for Hubble/Bryant receptacle.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. While it’s likely many of these failed outlets weren’t used or installed correctly, I’m happy with the peace of mind and slightly higher charger speeds I’ve gotten from hardwiring.

I've always charged my cars over 120. I never needed anything faster, even in the before times when we commuted every day. Since the charger included with the Lucid comes with the adapter for 240 (which I'm assuming is this 14-50 thing) I'm planning to hire someone to install the appropriate outlet. I'll be sure to get a recommended outlet and avoid the Leviton. That being said, in the 7 years I've owned EVs, I've unplugged the charger cable from the wall maybe six to ten times, including the times a charger was unplugged to return a leased vehicle. I unplug my dryer to clean behind it, fix it, or replace it just as often. is there something different about a 240 charger where I can't just leave it plugged into the wall like I can the 120?

...is there something different about a 240 charger where I can't just leave it plugged into the wall like I can the 120?
You can, and should, just leave it plugged in.

Speaking of highly-rated 50 A outlets, does anyone have a Journeyman-Pro outlet that is billed as EV-compatible?

Speaking of highly-rated 50 A outlets, does anyone have a Journeyman-Pro outlet that is billed as EV-compatible?
If you must use a receptacle, I'd spend the extra money on the correct Hubbell or Cooper. There are several Amazon comments that this item is not as good as it should be. But I wouldn't install a receptacle for EV charging at all. Ever.

Run away, do not walk.

Listen to my brother from a different mother. It's a no-name Chinese copy of the Hubbell and not even a direct copy. Notice the receptacle diameter is 2.15 inches on this Chinesium while the truly industrial plugs are 2.45. So, Wang Chung is taking the same molds as the $10 Levitons, and adding hex lugs. Lip stick on a pig.

Notice it's sold by ONE Chinese import shop in Washington state with other cheap Chinese imports, and not by any REAL electrical suppliers. Risking an electrical fire on saving ten or 15 bucks? This knock-off is the type of screw the unsuspecting consumer product Amazon does best: you just know the margin on this four times a Hubbell.

Remember, the UL rating is not the issue. The $10 Levitons are fully and properly UL rated and are just fine for stoves, dryers and welders. Nothing wrong with them for Intermittent use!!

Despite the name, I can assure you that no licensed journeyman would touch this crap.

Gotta love how the Chinese name shit, trying to imply a licensed and bonded electrician would use this. If a Chinese product has PRO in the name, you can be damn sure it's not.

One last point from Brother @DeaneG. I also generally agree against the use of receptacles for continuous use high amperage applications, I.e. EV charging, but if you are going to do it,be damn sure you are doing it spot on: proper size copper conductors, proper size HD wall box, newish proper size breaker, use the best receptacle you can get and torque the receptacle lugs TWICE to specs. And don't constantly pull out and plug in the charging cord.

One last point from Brother @DeaneG. I also generally agree against the use of receptacles for continuous use high amperage applications, I.e. EV charging, but if you are going to do it,be damn sure you are doing it spot on: proper size copper conductors, proper size HD wall box, newish proper size breaker, use the best receptacle you can get and torque the receptacle lugs TWICE to specs. And don't constantly pull out and plug in the charging cord.
I went to a hubbel after my Home depot outlet melted

Professional installation, the receptacle wasn't cycled with hundred of connects and disconnects; and zero issues as should be expected! The key here is the professional installation.

Leviton builds many high quality receptacles for the industry with different specification grades just as Hubbell, and Legrand does; know your use and needs, and use the specification that meets your needs and you will have years of trouble free use.
ELECTRICAL FUNDAMENTALSJANUARY/FEBRUARY 2005

Receptacle Grades: What Do They Mean?​

I hope not.

I hope not.
OMG, @Electrified , I love the article on receptacle grades. 2005, well before EVs.

The two edged sword of HD Lowes and Amazon. Any numpty (English term) can easily buy parts that if improperly installed, can burn down their home or kill them. Those same numpties leave bad reviews on Amazon for great devices because the part does not have DIY LCD simplistic instructions. Or bitch because their boob of a handyman screwed up the install.

OMG, @Electrified , I love the article on receptacle grades. 2005, well before EVs.

The two edged sword of HD Lowes and Amazon. Any numpty (English term) can easily buy parts that if improperly installed, can burn down their home or kill them. Those same numpties leave bad reviews on Amazon for great devices because the part does not have DIY LCD simplistic instructions. Or bitch because their boob of a handyman screwed up the install.
And quite frankly not much has changed since then, open a project spec book and what you see below is standard receptacle specs for commercial and institutional space. Google 5362 with any of those manufacturers name below and you will see a 20 amp 120 V receptacle , Hubbell and Leviton call it there industrial grade while P&S calls it there hard use Spec Grade.

Please note that you will not see Journey-Pro listed anywhere :)

spec r.png

Run away, do not walk.

Listen to my brother from a different mother. It's a no-name Chinese copy of the Hubbell and not even a direct copy. Notice the receptacle diameter is 2.15 inches on this Chinesium while the truly industrial plugs are 2.45. So, Wang Chung is taking the same molds as the $10 Levitons, and adding hex lugs. Lip stick on a pig.

Notice it's sold by ONE Chinese import shop in Washington state with other cheap Chinese imports, and not by any REAL electrical suppliers. Risking an electrical fire on saving ten or 15 bucks? This knock-off is the type of screw the unsuspecting consumer product Amazon does best: you just know the margin on this four times a Hubbell.

Remember, the UL rating is not the issue. The $10 Levitons are fully and properly UL rated and are just fine for stoves, dryers and welders. Nothing wrong with them for Intermittent use!!

Despite the name, I can assure you that no licensed journeyman would touch this crap.

Gotta love how the Chinese name shit, trying to imply a licensed and bonded electrician would use this. If a Chinese product has PRO in the name, you can be damn sure it's not.
Since I jumped the gun and ordered the Journeyman PRO from Amazon before posting here, after reading the replies I also ordered a Bryant and decided to compare their designs. The Journeyman came as a pleasant surprise - very sturdily built, the plug fits nicely, and I didn't have to get a different faceplate to replace my run-of-the-mill Leviton. The Bryant didn't feel or look much better. So, I took a chance and installed the Journeyman. The results, so far at least, are good - with the Leviton the plug used to get quite warm, if not hot. With the Journeyman, the charger body is warmer than the plug. The charging speed is marginally higher than before. The Chinese must have improved their design, since some early Amazon comments claim that the charger plug wouldn't even go into the outlet all the way. Just my 5 cents.

I've always charged my cars over 120. I never needed anything faster, even in the before times when we commuted every day. Since the charger included with the Lucid comes with the adapter for 240 (which I'm assuming is this 14-50 thing) I'm planning to hire someone to install the appropriate outlet. I'll be sure to get a recommended outlet and avoid the Leviton. That being said, in the 7 years I've owned EVs, I've unplugged the charger cable from the wall maybe six to ten times, including the times a charger was unplugged to return a leased vehicle. I unplug my dryer to clean behind it, fix it, or replace it just as often. is there something different about a 240 charger where I can't just leave it plugged into the wall like I can the 120?
That is what I do. I only had a plug installed in case I needed/wanted to change out the EVSE without calling an electrician.

A friend-recommended electrician arrives tomorrow morning. I've specified, twice, that the outlet must be a Hubble/Bryant or Cooper 14-50 installed with copper wire and properly torgued to 75in-lb. We aren't hardwiring because we expect to sell the house within a year.
He did ask what it was the outlet as for and I told him a Lucid, he wondered if it was for a welder. I wasn't looking for a new hobby like that but never say never, I guess.

Back