what will be my charging rate?

Regarding 80%. I thought you would only get 60% of range because you should stay between 20%-80%.

I wasn't aware of a 20% base but i am nor
You will probably lose another 15% in charging losses (Voltage step up and AC to DC conversion). Your numbers are still optimistic.

I know I can get at least 3.6 KWH into a car because my BMW app tells me that I am putting 7 KWH into my PHEV in 1 Hr 55 minutes. And that is measuring at the car, not the clipper creek unit. My question is whether that is the max I can get. Based on the Clipper Creek web site it looks like I could do better but that is not really very clear.

I wasn't aware of a 20% base but i am nor

I know I can get at least 3.6 KWH into a car because my BMW app tells me that I am putting 7 KWH into my PHEV in 1 Hr 55 minutes. And that is measuring at the car, not the clipper creek unit. My question is whether that is the max I can get. Based on the Clipper Creek web site it looks like I could do better but that is not really very clear.
I thought that you said your clipper creek was on a NEMA 14-50 plug implying it can take 40A or provide 9.6kW. If so, getting 3.6kW into the BMW battery would be limited by the BMW onboard charger not your electrical circuit.

I was also under the impression that you were trying to add another charging circuit that would only be 20Amp at 240V or 3.84kW into the car. With charging losses, I do not see getting 3.6kW into the battery.

I apologize if I misunderstood your setup. Maybe you are running your clipper creek on the 20A circuit?

I thought that you said your clipper creek was on a NEMA 14-50 plug implying it can take 40A or provide 9.6kW. If so, getting 3.6kW into the BMW battery would be limited by the BMW onboard charger not your electrical circuit.

I was also under the impression that you were trying to add another charging circuit that would only be 20Amp at 240V or 3.84kW into the car. With charging losses, I do not see getting 3.6kW into the battery.

I apologize if I misunderstood your setup. Maybe you are running your clipper creek on the 20A circuit?

Yes...I am running the Clipper Creek on a 20 AMP dedicated 240 circuit. I am aware that the internal charger on my BMW is limited to 3.6 KWH which is why I am trying to determine what I will get when the internal charger is not so limited. The Clipper Creek website table suggests that I will get more but it is measured in range, not KWH.

I tend to drive fast, especially away from a light, so I expect that my miles per KWH will not be as good as many others. So long as there is enough range in the car to enable me to meet my goals, I will be happy. That is what I like about the Lucid. It has enough range that I can keep a base level and use my somewhat limited garage charger to refill. At least I think so.

Yes...I am running the Clipper Creek on a 20 AMP dedicated 240 circuit. I am aware that the internal charger on my BMW is limited to 3.6 KWH which is why I am trying to determine what I will get when the internal charger is not so limited. The Clipper Creek website table suggests that I will get more but it is measured in range, not KWH.

I tend to drive fast, especially away from a light, so I expect that my miles per KWH will not be as good as many others. So long as there is enough range in the car to enable me to meet my goals, I will be happy. That is what I like about the Lucid. It has enough range that I can keep a base level and use my somewhat limited garage charger to refill. At least I think so.
As mentioned by @Adnillien above, a 240-volt 20-amp breaker won't go higher than 3.84 KWH (16 amps times 240 volts) continuously. There will be charging losses, plus a nominal 240-volt circuit may not deliver the full 240 volts (230 to 235 volts seems pretty common). If somehow you're getting 3.6 KWH into your BMW, the Lucid definitely won't go significantly higher than that. Still, let's say you get around 3.26 KWH into the Lucid battery pack each hour (0.85 times 3.84). If the Lucid gets 3 miles per KWH in your driving cycle, you might get about 9.8 miles of range per hour of charging.

I recall an old rule of thumb that a conventional 120-volt outlet gives the typical electric car about 3 miles per charging hour in range. Your 240V, 20A circuit would deliver about 2.67 times as much power each hour, so 2.67 times 3 equals 8 miles of range per charging hour. So, maybe 8-10 miles of range per charging hour?

As mentioned by @Adnillien above, a 240-volt 20-amp breaker won't go higher than 3.84 KWH (16 amps times 240 volts) continuously. There will be charging losses, plus a nominal 240-volt circuit may not deliver the full 240 volts (230 to 235 volts seems pretty common). If somehow you're getting 3.6 KWH into your BMW, the Lucid definitely won't go significantly higher than that. Still, let's say you get around 3.26 KWH into the Lucid battery pack each hour (0.85 times 3.84). If the Lucid gets 3 miles per KWH in your driving cycle, you might get about 9.8 miles of range per hour of charging.

I recall an old rule of thumb that a conventional 120-volt outlet gives the typical electric car about 3 miles per charging hour in range. Your 240V, 20A circuit would deliver about 2.67 times as much power each hour, so 2.67 times 3 equals 8 miles of range per charging hour. So, maybe 8-10 miles of range per charging hour?
That should work for me. I should be able to get at least ten hours daily of charging and very few days do I do 100 miles or more. So long as I can keep a base (by occasionally visiting an EA fast charger), I should be fine.

Thanks.

I decided to plug in and see what the rate ended up being. I have a Chargepoint home flex on a 30 amp breaker.
20220204_172045.jpg

I decided to plug in and see what the rate ended up being. I have a Chargepoint home flex on a 30 amp breaker.
View attachment 713
@hydbob, If your charge rate is 5kW, then the car is drawing about 5kW/240V = 20.8amps. It's below the limit of 24amps that you should not exceed (for the 30amp breaker you have). Although, I'm curious why it did not go up to 24amps and what is setting/limiting that. I think after the recent updates, it is showing the power being drawn from the wall (not going into the battery).

@hydbob, If your charge rate is 5kW, then the car is drawing about 5kW/240V = 20.8amps. It's below the limit of 24amps that you should not exceed (for the 30amp breaker you have). Although, I'm curious why it did not go up to 24amps and what is setting/limiting that. I think after the recent updates, it is showing the power being drawn from the wall (not going into the battery).

I believe it shows the power into the battery, which doesn’t account for power loss. My 48A/11.5kW charger only supplies about 10.6kW of real power.

Back