Replace entire HV battery?

Gil

Cars
Lucid Air
Has anyone had their entire HV battery + WunderBox replaced? What was your experience? How long did it take?

Apparently this is about to happen to me. They’re not yet sure—though they’ve now had the car for a full week. Not what I bargained for when I bought the car, to put it mildly.

Has anyone had their entire HV battery + WunderBox replaced? What was your experience? How long did it take?

Apparently this is about to happen to me. They’re not yet sure—though they’ve now had the car for a full week. Not what I bargained for when I bought the car, to put it mildly.
There have been a few on the forum thus far. I believe @Pete44 and @HC_79 were a couple i think. Pretty certain it was 2-4 weeks, depends on how long it takes to source the pack

There have been a few on the forum thus far. I believe @Pete44 and @HC_79 were a couple i think. Pretty certain it was 2-4 weeks, depends on how long it takes to source the pack
Had mine. Took a week or two. Had a loaner in the meantime.

Service was excellent and nobody has ever had a recurrence after the replacement, so you’ll be good to go.

Had mine. Took a week or two. Had a loaner in the meantime.

Service was excellent and nobody has ever had a recurrence after the replacement, so you’ll be good to go.
No loaners now, so I have a crap rental. It’s been a week so far and …

No loaners now, so I have a crap rental. It’s been a week so far and …
I meant rental - sorry. Eventually they’ll have loaners.

Had my HV replaced in August, not the Wunderbox. It took a month, mostly due to time to source the battery, but also to ship car from Massachusetts service center to Chicago. No problems since. I had a rental that they set up.

Tesla had to do similar things in their early days. This is difficult and leading-edge engineering.

Part of me wishes mine would fail now so that it doesn’t fail during my planned thanksgiving trip haha, but hey maybe mine will be invincible. Zero of the 9 New England owners I met yesterday had had any significant failures, all issues were minor trim things and software.

Part of me wishes mine would fail now so that it doesn’t fail during my planned thanksgiving trip haha, but hey maybe mine will be invincible. Zero of the 9 New England owners I met yesterday had had any significant failures, all issues were minor trim things and software.
Yeah, I thought I’d escaped it at 8k miles 🤷‍♂️

If it happens, it happens, but most people won’t have it happen. And the service afterward is top notch, which is the important part.

I said this to a few folks, but as breakdowns go this was literally the most pleasant I could imagine. 5 minute warning, got off the highway, called service while rebooting, they picked up within 30 seconds, offered to tow, but reboot drove fine, so we drove it there. Got there and they had a Hertz contract and rental waiting. Honestly as pleasant as any breakdown could go, especially since a reboot fixed it (though who knows for how long; at minimum, the 30-40 min drive to Millbrae)

About 3 weeks ago, I got the 5-minute battery countdown.

From ATL, they've transported my car to the Florida service center.

Unfortunately, there's not much customer support:
- We're waiting on batteries from AZ, but no ETA
- They don't actually know whether the battery replacement will resolve the issue
- I call and check in once a week (they've never proactively called me)

In the meantime I'm driving around in a rental pickup truck that smells like smoke (irony?).

So far this is much worse than anything I experienced (or heard of others experiencing) with Teslas. I owned them for eight years.

I think it’s fair to say that Lucid should be better prepared to take care of customers who experience a total failure of their new car. They should have batteries on hand for this situation and expedite them. They should have loaners. I’m on Day 9 since my breakdown and don’t even know for sure whether the total replacement is needed.

Yes, mine was replaced last week after a couple weeks plus of transport and diagnostics. The day after the replacement, I was told there was a coolant leak. That’s was a week ago. I remember driving the car, but the thrill is fading after a month in the shop.

So far this is much worse than anything I experienced (or heard of others experiencing) with Teslas. I owned them for eight years.

I think it’s fair to say that Lucid should be better prepared to take care of customers who experience a total failure of their new car. They should have batteries on hand for this situation and expedite them. They should have loaners. I’m on Day 9 since my breakdown and don’t even know for sure whether the total replacement is needed.
Agree. I still have my p85+ from 2012 (driving it while lucid in shop). During this ownership the Tesla motor replaced 2x, battery once, door handles, sunroof, tail lights, cooling fan etc. High performance car, high performance repairs.

The difference is Tesla gave me a loaner car during the first 6 years while it worked through the new car problems.

Agree. I still have my p85+ from 2012 (driving it while lucid in shop). During this ownership the Tesla motor replaced 2x, battery once, door handles, sunroof, tail lights, cooling fan etc. High performance car, high performance repairs.

The difference is Tesla gave me a loaner car during the first 6 years while it worked through the new car problems.
They will eventually have loaner cars, but they at least handle a rental. For now they’re focused on deliveries.

Yeah, I thought I’d escaped it at 8k miles 🤷‍♂️

If it happens, it happens, but most people won’t have it happen. And the service afterward is top notch, which is the important part.

I said this to a few folks, but as breakdowns go this was literally the most pleasant I could imagine. 5 minute warning, got off the highway, called service while rebooting, they picked up within 30 seconds, offered to tow, but reboot drove fine, so we drove it there. Got there and they had a Hertz contract and rental waiting. Honestly as pleasant as any breakdown could go, especially since a reboot fixed it (though who knows for how long; at minimum, the 30-40 min drive to Millbrae)
Service is not top notch. Maybe the parts and labor, but service means the whole handling of the event. Lucid people have been quite nice, but the company has not built the service processes commensurate with a $100k+ car.

They will eventually have loaner cars, but they at least handle a rental. For now they’re focused on deliveries.
I understand that’s the choice they’ve made, and IMO it’s a mistake. They’re creating a cadre of extremely unhappy new owners. Because of cash flow? We’re the people who after six weeks of ownership would be evangelizing Lucid (as you are).

I understand that’s the choice they’ve made, and IMO it’s a mistake. They’re creating a cadre of extremely unhappy new owners. Because of cash flow? We’re the people who after six weeks of ownership would be evangelizing Lucid (as you are).
Preach Gil !

What happened to the original battery?

Service is not top notch. Maybe the parts and labor, but service means the whole handling of the event. Lucid people have been quite nice, but the company has not built the service processes commensurate with a $100k+ car.
With the exception of the West Palm Beach / Florida service center, service everywhere else appears to be top-notch.

I respect your opinion. I know their plan is to definitely have loaners available, but it's Hertz rentals for now.

And no, I don't think it's cash flow - I think it's because they were constrained building cars at first. I have no reason to suspect they won't overproduce tourings and pures and have some available as loaners.

Back