Water damage in trunk due to spill

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a few things to break down here.

- The manual says don’t do this in a very clear manner. What is at fault here is pretty black and white at this point.
- It’s worth acknowledging most if not all EV manufacturers have electronic components hidden in these particular areas.
- Trunks and frunks are high traffic areas for damp items and are prone to getting a little wet.

We don’t know how much liquid was spilled, but I’m going to guess it wasn’t much more than a plant pot leaking water? Lucid should be better about this. They don’t even sell a proper weather floor mat for the top portion of the trunk which is unacceptable given this as the circumstance. I should be able to put a bag of ice in my car without concern for car failure.

Both parties are at fault IMO.

To iterate, a design flaw like this (and it is a “known” design flaw per Lucid) doesn’t make it a bad car, but does urge some education to prevent a large headache. It also justifies a little pressure to change it from us.
Another interesting point you bring up is that this is a 'known' design flaw by Lucid. This is what i have been saying from the start and this is my grouse with this repair bill. Will anyone on this forum, who support Lucid, pay to fix an issue that arises out of a design flaw that the car has. Is it the responsibility of the owner/leasor to pay to fix issues that arise out of a design defect/flaw?

As I remember, my last couple of ICE cars (an Audi and a BMW) had sensitive electronic components located in the trunk area. In the Audi, I recall the battery and fuses being under a cover on the right side of the trunk, while in the BMW, they were under the trunk cover in the center. I would expect those cars, as well as Lucid, to be able to handle minor water ingress. It would be helpful to understand more about the quantity of water that was spilled.

Regardless, this serves as a good reminder to ensure that liquids are securely sealed. I usually place a decent-sized water bottle in the trunk a couple of times a week when driving to a run, and based on this incident, I will be more cautious in the future

Another interesting point you bring up is that this is a 'known' design flaw by Lucid. This is what i have been saying from the start and this is my grouse with this repair bill. Will anyone on this forum, who support Lucid, pay to fix an issue that arises out of a design flaw that the car has. Is it the responsibility of the owner/leasor to pay to fix issues that arise out of a design defect/flaw?
I'll use an example that is unrelated but still applies. The rims on the 21" DE tires stick out further than the tire itself. I believe this is a design flaw, but if I curb my wheels and scrape the rims, would I expect Lucid to cover the cost of repairing my rim? The answer is obviously no. Another design flaw on this car is the rear doors. The pointy part is a flaw. My rear door was opened by my daughter and put a hole in the wall in the garage. If the door edge were flatter, it would not have done so. Do I expect Lucid to pay to have my wall repaired? Again, no. In your situation, it may be a design flaw, it's definitely not a defect. Like you stated in a previous post, if you had spilled water inside the car where electronics were you would of course be expected to pay for the repair. Is the design flaw that the cup holder is too close to an electronic screen? Would you be claiming the same if this were the case?

I'll use an example that is unrelated but still applies. The rims on the 21" DE tires stick out further than the tire itself. I believe this is a design flaw, but if I curb my wheels and scrape the rims, would I expect Lucid to cover the cost of repairing my rim? The answer is obviously no. Another design flaw on this car is the rear doors. The pointy part is a flaw. My rear door was opened by my daughter and put a hole in the wall in the garage. If the door edge were flatter, it would not have done so. Do I expect Lucid to pay to have my wall repaired? Again, no. In your situation, it may be a design flaw, it's definitely not a defect. Like you stated in a previous post, if you had spilled water inside the car where electronics were you would of course be expected to pay for the repair. Is the design flaw that the cup holder is too close to an electronic screen? Would you be claiming the same if this were the case?
So all your examples state 'Visible' design flaws. u can still drive the vehicle with curb rash rims. If you want them fixed, you would pay for it. Its pretty visible to see that the rims stick out and you have to be careful while parallel parking. The same goes for the door edge and liquid spills inside the car, on the dashboard or console. These r visible flaws that can be seen and have to be accommodated for in how u use the vehicle. In my case, I did not know about the electronics In the trunk. I also expect highly trafficked passenger areas to be secured from sensitive electronics.

With respect, @hydbob, I think these issues are different. As posted in a separate thread, I have suspected water issues in my trunk. In my case I didn't spill anything, the only potential "crime" would be opening the trunk briefly while it was snowing. So while I don't agree with the OP's response to a couple of comparatively minor annoyances that shouldn't spoil the enjoyment of an otherwise exceptional automobile, I do think there are likely some components in the trunk that could use better waterproofing.

Incidentally my various issues eventually fixed themselves, presumably when the trunk dried out. But the trunk has since stopped raising again, so off to the service center we go.

With respect, @hydbob, I think these issues are different. As posted in a separate thread, I have suspected water issues in my trunk. In my case I didn't spill anything, the only potential "crime" would be opening the trunk briefly while it was snowing. So while I don't agree with the OP's response to a couple of comparatively minor annoyances that shouldn't spoil the enjoyment of an otherwise exceptional automobile, I do think there are likely some components in the trunk that could use better waterproofing.

Incidentally my various issues eventually fixed themselves, presumably when the trunk dried out. But the trunk has since stopped raising again, so off to the service center we go.
Agreed. But I believe your issues were from external water intrusion which is a design flaw and should be fixed by Lucid under warranty.

The problem is that we really do not know how much water was spilled. It is unfortunate because it seems to have spilled in the exact wrong location. I am assuming it is much more water that would get in the trunk from loading gear in the rain or something that should be expected during normal use. My assumption may be incorrect but that is why I think it is fair for you to pay for the repair. There is both a 12V plug and fuses in the corner of the trunk which are shown in the manual. We as owners should know about electrical connections in that area.

The problem is that we really do not know how much water was spilled. It is unfortunate because it seems to have spilled in the exact wrong location. I am assuming it is much more water that would get in the trunk from loading gear in the rain or something that should be expected during normal use. My assumption may be incorrect but that is why I think it is fair for you to pay for the repair. There is both a 12V plug and fuses in the corner of the trunk which are shown in the manual. We as owners should know about electrical connections in that area.
Seriously. You knew all about your Lucid and the location of the fuses and electronics within a day of getting your car?

Just got my Lucid Air on October 28th. On the 29th i put my Son's water bottle in the trunk and it leaked a bit and water seeped into a battery and control module that is placed below the 12 voltage charger in the right rear of the trunk. The leakage damaged the battery and the control module and caused an malfunction indication on the dash and the complete disabling of the trunk opener. Thus I was locked out of the trunk and could not retrieve my items.
Thanks for the tip RE: liquids in Trunk / Funk. I received the Lucid well liners yesterday. Kinda surprised you can't get into a locked trunk from by putting the rear seats down ? Just tried it: huh. I can't quite fit through the ski pass-thru.
I am now 3 days without a car or loaner, paying a lease on an apparently defective car.
That's a long journey. It's your water bottle that is defective.

We should not be held liable for an apparent design defect in placing the battery and control modules in a location where they could be easily damaged.
I was at an EV car show and one of the displays had the Funk full of ice and brews. I think it was a Ford...only had room for a six pack.
Yes it makes sense that these low storage areas should be able to accommodate some liquid, but it is the nature of water to seek it's level, and driving with a water bottle rolling around = predictable result = water being flung around looking for an electronic circuit.

I had an experience like that: I washed my Pixel 5a. It's supposed to be "water resistant", but it's not wash cycle resistant. It's a design flaw. Who hasn't checked their pockets before doing a load?

Agree. All the electronics should be in the roof, where they are safe from wet. Of course, if one forgets and leaves the water bottle on the roof...

I am beyond upset with the whole situation and will not recommend this car to anyone.
Where have I heard that before ?

It has too many issues and a service dept that looks to stiff the customer for issues with the design of the car.
I understand your state of mind. In a few weeks you will be praising this car. Welcome to the club.

Last edited:
Seriously. You knew all about your Lucid and the location of the fuses and electronics within a day of getting your car?
I’m a unique case as well. To back this statement up, I knew where they were day #1. The 12v outlet is also a good indicator to avoid liquids in that area.

I’m a unique case as well. To back this statement up, I knew where they were day #1. The 12v outlet is also a good indicator to avoid liquids in that area.
The 12 volt outlet is hidden below a cover so unless someone tells you or you go looking thru the car you would never know.

The 12 volt outlet is hidden below a cover so unless someone tells you or you go looking thru the car you would never know.
But that doesn't really matter when it is your fault regardless of whether it was an accident or not.. right? It explicitly says that no water should be spilled and that is what happened. You did something(even if it was an accident) that you werent supposed to do.

@Spin Doctor s case is different as he did not spill any liquids or do things that were explicitly warned about in the manual. I do agree it could use better waterproofing in the trunk, but until that happens, I wouldn't expect Lucid to pay for the water bottle spill. Spin's case should be covered in the warranty as it wasnt warned about.

Or if you read the manual for the expensive machine you’re operating?
When it's expensive it shouldn't be so delicate. Or do I have that wrong?
I assume you read your car manuals immediately when receive them.

Not to beat a dead horse, but there are two covers to get to the access panel/electronic components in that corner. These electronics are semi-tucked out of a direct spillage line of fire. Remnants of snow or rain covered items will never be an issue because the black carpet material is absorbent of water in those quantities.

It takes all of five minutes to open every last crevice in the car when you first get it. This is basic education of your own vehicle for utility and emergency purposes.

Water bottles when leaking tend to leak a lot more than initially suspected. My children have proven this many a time on our couches and floors, even for spill proof cups. Say what you may about the quality, but my son has a tendency to pound them relentlessly and toss from the top of the dinning table.

Ignorance is not an excuse.

Thats like saying my iphone is expensive so I should be able to put it in lava even though the manual CLEARLY says not to(subject it to high heat in that case).

I think it’s more of a bit of shaming on spending this much money and not putting a bit more effort into understanding what you’re purchasing.

I don’t particularly disagree with the commentary on that statement and have a general distaste for those who flaunt money without a keen sense of ownership responsibility on anything really.

For emphasis, this isn’t just about purchasing a Lucid. It’s about having a bit more up front ownership responsibility.

I’m not looking to come across making too many assumptions, this is just how it reads and why the response comes across this way.

No, I read the Lucid manual before I received the car so I wouldn’t have any issues/surprises at delivery time.
I’m not saying you shouldn’t ask your service team about this to be sure, and to be clear I definitely understand the upset. It’s just unfortunately not a clear cut warranty issue. If some of that water got in the 12V socket or the wiring beneath it, that’s not an issue unique to this car or a defect. Could something have been designed differently to prevent that? Probably. But that doesn’t automatically make it a defect.

Thats like saying my iphone is expensive so I should be able to put it in lava even though the manual CLEARLY says not to(subject it to high heat in that

I think it’s more of a bit of shaming on spending this much money and not putting a bit more effort into understanding what you’re purchasing.

I don’t particularly disagree with the commentary on that statement and have a general distaste for those who flaunt money without a keen sense of ownership responsibility on anything really.

For emphasis, this isn’t just about purchasing a Lucid. It’s about having a bit more up front ownership responsibility.

I’m not looking to come across making too many assumptions, this is just how it reads and why the response comes across this way.
R you serious? You knew every nook and crevice of your car on day 1 because you spent money to buy it. How much ownership responsibility should one have on day 1?
How about responsibility of Lucid who know this is a design defect/ flaw and have done nothing to address it. Even a basic plastic cover to protect the electronics could have helped, or even a warning to by trunk mats and not put any damp/wet items in the trunk until then. How much slack are you willing to give.companies that ignore a known problem? Yet a first time.lucid owner owner should know everything about the car on day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back