Lucid is changing my HV battery

The first indication we got of a problem with our 2015 Tesla Model S was when a warning light came on saying that power might fail and that the car should not be driven until contacting customer service. Then the warning would go out, and the car would drive normally. This happened a couple of times before I reached Tesla. (On the first occasion, I assumed it was just a warning light glitch, as it disappeared in a few moments. So I didn't contact Tesla until the second occurrence, although the car still drove normally when that warning light also canceled.) When I finally did reach Tesla, they told me the car was at risk of imminent failure. They had it trucked to a service center where they found a weld break had caused the battery pack, the rear drive unit, and the rear inverter to fail. (The car was purchased as a P85D. That pack had gone out of production, so it got a 90-kWh pack, and the car was rebadged as a P90D, both on the trunk and the interior screens. The P90D was announced literally the day after I took delivery of the P85D, so I actually thought I lucked out in a weird way.)

The first indication we had of a problem with the Lucid was when it went into limp mode on a busy roadway. I was near home and able to get it onto a side street where I could creep along by pressing the accelerator to the floor until the car quit moving, then releasing the accelerator and pressing it again to repeat the cycle. I made it into the garage from where Lucid picked it up the next day.
Did your battery just recently fail?

Maybe the admins would be open to a poll how many have replaced battery lol

Remember, the amount of failures will be overrepresented in a forum like this. It's rare that people will logon just to say that their battery has NOT failed.
My HV battery has not failed. Chameleon will be 1 yo on Wednesday. I'm not sure how I'll top last year's Valentine's Day but I'll figure it out.

My car was built March 2022, Lucid service said they remotely detected a battery fault in August 2023, battery/wunderbox/L2 cable replaced after 18k miles, got a loaner delivered to my job and they did the swap back at work resulting in minimal inconvenience to me. No issues since. The problem detected once they got the car was a ground isolation fault in a single battery module, which should have read zero ohms but read 0.8 ohms.

My car was built March 2022, Lucid service said they remotely detected a battery fault in August 2023, battery/wunderbox/L2 cable replaced after 18k miles, got a loaner delivered to my job and they did the swap back at work resulting in minimal inconvenience to me. No issues since. The problem detected once they got the car was a ground isolation fault in a single battery module, which should have read zero ohms but read 0.8 ohms.
I wonder if 2022 has a batch of bad batteries

The first indication we got of a problem with our 2015 Tesla Model S was when a warning light came on saying that power might fail and that the car should not be driven until contacting customer service. Then the warning would go out, and the car would drive normally. This happened a couple of times before I reached Tesla. (On the first occasion, I assumed it was just a warning light glitch, as it disappeared in a few moments. So I didn't contact Tesla until the second occurrence, although the car still drove normally when that warning light also canceled.) When I finally did reach Tesla, they told me the car was at risk of imminent failure. They had it trucked to a service center where they found a weld break had caused the battery pack, the rear drive unit, and the rear inverter to fail. (The car was purchased as a P85D. That pack had gone out of production, so it got a 90-kWh pack, and the car was rebadged as a P90D, both on the trunk and the interior screens. The P90D was announced literally the day after I took delivery of the P85D, so I actually thought I lucked out in a weird way.)

The first indication we had of a problem with the Lucid was when it went into limp mode on a busy roadway. I was near home and able to get it onto a side street where I could creep along by pressing the accelerator to the floor until the car quit moving, then releasing the accelerator and pressing it again to repeat the cycle. I made it into the garage from where Lucid picked it up the next day.
That is not an example of another manufacturer preemptively diagnosing a potential failure. Your and your car identified it and Tesla confirmed it. That is different than you getting a message that your battery needs replacing when you had no idea that was so.

I am with Lucken. I am not aware of any other auto manufacturer who can and does do this. Kudos to Lucid.

@blueice89 Yes my Lucid loaners were speed limited, it would hit 87 and then settle to 85-86. If you are used to hitting triple digits it is a shock to bust a move and then have the car fall flat on it's face, they forgot to tell me about the limiter :rolleyes:

Probably do, several months ago I had some error pop up the dash screen so I called Lucid and they dropped off a loaner and drove my car back to GI. I ended up with a new wonder box and HV battery pack.

That is not an example of another manufacturer preemptively diagnosing a potential failure. Your and your car identified it and Tesla confirmed it. That is different than you getting a message that your battery needs replacing when you had no idea that was so.

Actually, it was an example of Tesla preemptively diagnosing a potential failure. I got a warning on the dashboard of an imminent failure while the car was still driving as normal, something I did twice over a 24-hour period before I called Tesla as the dashboard warning instructed me to do. And the car was still drivable when Tesla arrived at my home to truck it off to a service center. By contrast, my Lucid battery pack and drivetrain failed with no warning while on a busy roadway.

It seems the warnings of potential failure in my Tesla and Blueice89's Lucid both originated in the car's monitoring software. The difference was that the Tesla software sent the preemptive message directly to me via a dashboard warning message, while the message from Lucid's software is only accessible to Lucid service, who then has to pass the news along to the owner. Frankly, I like the Tesla method better.

It may go beyond this. As with some other reports on this forum, my rear drive unit as well as the battery pack failed. Perhaps it has something to do with some of the supply chain disruptions Lucid dealt with during the earlier production runs. Many manufacturers were dealing with a rotation of pinch-hitter suppliers during the pandemic. I was entertaining myself by doing some "builds" of possible orders on Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche websites during that time. All had messages that some options or even standard features might not be available due to supply chain issues. Ford ran into problems with quick vendor switchovers while launching some of its EVs. Nobody really knows what pandemonium was unfolding behind the scenes during that timeframe.

This is where the 8-year / 100,000-mile powertrain warranty really struts its stuff. It may be a crushing burden on Lucid, but owners will be protected.

Actually, it was an example of Tesla preemptively diagnosing a potential failure. I got a warning on the dashboard of an imminent failure while the car was still driving as normal, something I did twice over a 24-hour period before I called Tesla as the dashboard warning instructed me to do. And the car was still drivable when Tesla arrived at my home to truck it off to a service center. By contrast, my Lucid battery pack and drivetrain failed with no warning while on a busy roadway.

It seems the warnings of potential failure in my Tesla and Blueice89's Lucid both originated in the car's monitoring software. The difference was that the Tesla software sent the preemptive message directly to me via a dashboard warning message, while the message from Lucid's software is only accessible to Lucid service, who then has to pass the news along to the owner. Frankly, I like the Tesla method better.

I had a pre-emptive message on the dashboard of my Lucid, as I stated above Lucid dropped off a loaner and drove my car with the pre-emptive message to Goose Island. No different than your experience with the Tesla.

I am just being a little annoying probably but I didn’t realize we all had battery issues lol

I had a pre-emptive message on the dashboard of my Lucid, as I stated above Lucid dropped off a loaner and drove my car with the pre-emptive message to Goose Island. No different than your experience with the Tesla.

Yes, and I think a couple of others said the same when reporting their battery issues here. What's interesting, though, is that some pending failure conditions in the Lucid seem to generate a warning, and some don't. Mine didn't when I was losing both the battery pack and the rear drive unit.

Agree but look at the people in this thread in it’s almost an all star line up. You got me the powder coater, electrified always here, and hmp10 founding member

In my case the service person said they did their routine full diag check they always do when car is serviced and they found some tests fail. So mine was completely pre emptive cause I didn’t know about this until I got a call saying come pick up the loaner

I am just being a little annoying probably but I didn’t realize we all had battery issues lol

Not all . . . but with a quick (and probably sloppy) forum search today I found nine owners who did. What I couldn't tell was when those cars were built.

Here's the Honor Roll:

Mkatz
Snafu
Shuasha
hmp10 (me)
Blueice89
enzro
Htx lucid
natebeske
Electrified

There were also a couple who were notified by Lucid of a possible battery pack problem but whose cars subsequently checked out.

Not all . . . but with a quick (and probably sloppy) forum search today I found nine owners who did. What I couldn't tell was when those cars were built.

Here's the Honor Roll:

Mkatz
Snafu
Shuasha
hmp10 (me)
Blueice89
enzro
Htx lucid
natebeske
Electrified

There were also a couple who were notified by Lucid of a possible battery pack problem but whose cars subsequently checked out.
Me too.

But, and again I must stress this: battery replacements will be overrepresented in this forum because the first thing someone will do is google it and find this forum and post to see if everything will be okay, lol.

But yes, there seems to have been a bad batch of parts and/or process for some of the earlier vehicles. All of the ones that have had their batteries replaced, to my knowledges, were DEs or early vehicles, sometimes already sold and owned used. I know they iterated to produce new versions of the Wunderbox and battery pack, along with moving some components between them to prevent the issue, and now they seem to be replacing it on vehicles that have those faulty components, proactively.

I wouldn’t call it a major issue, given that it has now been entirely proactive afaik.

Back