Lucid is changing my HV battery

Once I got over the anxiety of limping the car home on back streets, the repair experience was painless. Lucid picked the car up at out house, left a Grand Touring loaner, and returned our car to the house a little over a week later. In fact, I kind of enjoyed getting familiar with a later-production Grand Touring and comparing it to our Dream Edition.

This was not my first rodeo, however. Our 2015 Tesla Model S had a weld joint break that took out its battery pack and rear drive unit.
Well, I was able to limp it off I-40 at the next exit over a mile away going a whopping 4MPH. Little did I know that the location I left it (North Memphis) was, umm, very not nice! lol

Long story short, they got me a cab to a hotel to spend the night, and I booked a flight the next morning to NY. They had a tow pick up the vehicle to store it securely until it could be moved to the Plainview service center (after arguing with them that it's logistically ridiculous for them to take it to GA, the nearest repair location, and then have it shipped to me while I have a service center near me). According to the app, it's still sitting in Memphis, so I'm not holding my breath on when I'll finally take possession of it. It's been quite the adventure. At least I'm glad it didn't happen with my wife during the day on the highways here, with the volume we have. Something much worse could have happened.

At least I'm glad it didn't happen with my wife during the day on the highways here, with the volume we have. Something much worse could have happened.

I had an 1998 Corvette that kept going into "limp mode". Chevrolet tried several times to fix the issue. The next-to last try involved them keeping the car for almost a month while they worked with engineering to troubleshoot the issue. They finally called to tell me I could pick the car up. It went into limp mode again as I was pulling off the service lot.

They made one more attempt until . . .

I was driving on the inside lane of a 12-lane stretch of I-95 in Connecticut next to a concrete lane barricade when the car went into limp mode and reduced speed to 8 mph. I literally thought I was going to die as I tried to get the car over to the right shoulder. (Harry Chapin had been killed on this same highway some years earlier while trying to cross lanes at 15 mph with his flashers on.) I was a few hundred yards from an exit ramp. I walked down it to a service station, called a tow truck, and never got in the car again. (It was a company car, so they swapped me into a different car -- a Jaguar S-Type that had all its dashboard electronics black out shortly before the transmission went. From that I went into an Audi A6 V8 which actually served its sentence with me honorably.)

I had an 1998 Corvette that kept going into "limp mode". Chevrolet tried several times to fix the issue. The next-to last try involved them keeping the car for almost a month while they worked with engineering to troubleshoot the issue. They finally called to tell me I could pick the car up. It went into limp mode again as I was pulling off the service lot.

They made one more attempt until . . .

I was driving on the inside lane of a 12-lane stretch of I-95 in Connecticut next to a concrete lane barricade when the car went into limp mode and reduced speed to 8 mph. I literally thought I was going to die as I tried to get the car over to the right shoulder. (Harry Chapin had been killed on this same highway some years earlier while trying to cross lanes at 15 mph with his flashers on.) I was a few hundred yards from an exit ramp. I walked down it to a service station, called a tow truck, and never got in the car again. (It was a company car, so they swapped me into a different car -- a Jaguar S-Type that had all its dashboard electronics black out shortly before the transmission went. From that I went into an Audi A6 V8 which actually served its sentence with me honorably.)
This is where I sit down and STFU while I await the return of my vehicle! LOL Damn that was a rough experience. I'm glad you came out the better.

This is where I sit down and STFU while I await the return of my vehicle! LOL Damn that was a rough experience. I'm glad you came out the better.
Hope u get ur ride back soon!! Kinda late now but I’m in memphis if u need some one to go check on something!

Hope u get ur ride back soon!! Kinda late now but I’m in memphis if u need some one to go check on something!
I really appreciate it dwfallin. I may take you up on the offer since the app is telling me the car hasn't moved yet Lucid said it would be in Plainview today so unless they also developed some kind of teleportation device...

If they could develop a way to remotely access the cameras via the app, just to check on the status of the vehicle, that would be amazing!

that capability seems like a software update away, but yeah - would be amazing! i'm guessing maybe due to the severity of the issue you experienced that the car just stopped updating the gps... but dm me an address if you want an in-person validation that its not there

I really appreciate it dwfallin. I may take you up on the offer since the app is telling me the car hasn't moved yet Lucid said it would be in Plainview today so unless they also developed some kind of teleportation device...

If they could develop a way to remotely access the cameras via the app, just to check on the status of the vehicle, that would be amazing!
Sorry for your experience! Lucid service will take good care of you but unfortunately like most auto makers they’re dependent on 3rd party towing companies and their availability and competence. The studio manager of one Lucid studio needed his Lucid towed after his 12v battery died at an EA charger, and his car was stuck plugged in for half a day to the ire of other drivers, and then the tow company damaged his bumper even after they expressly described to them how to properly tow the vehicle. So even a VIP Lucid employee is at the mercy of unpredictable towing infrastructure. My GT had a LIN Bus failure on the way home from a road trip on a Sunday night with wife and kid in the car and Lucid got us an Uber home, literally responded to my call for help within one minute, and towed my car the next day due to availability, so at least on the Lucid end of it they’re responsive. Hope yours gets sorted out soon and no more issues!

that capability seems like a software update away, but yeah - would be amazing! i'm guessing maybe due to the severity of the issue you experienced that the car just stopped updating the gps... but dm me an address if you want an in-person validation that its not there
I'd like to recognize dwfallin for going out of his way to check on my car. I really appreciate it and also appreciate how helpful this community appears to be.

No prob!! next time you (or anyone else!) are driving through memphis - gimme a heads up and we’ll grab some bbq and compare airs! Btw - ur white de looks sharp! My son was with me and asked why I didn’t get white on my touring, was it not available? lol

No prob!! next time you (or anyone else!) are driving through memphis - gimme a heads up and we’ll grab some bbq and compare airs! Btw - ur white de looks sharp! My son was with me and asked why I didn’t get white on my touring, was it not available? lol
Sharp as a bowling ball, when its top speed is 4MPH! lol Greatly appreciated. Memphis "Q" is magnifique! Curious what color did you go for?

My HV battery and associated components were changed last week preemptively at the Scottsdale SC. All went well including a test at an EA charger to verify the charging certificate

Sharp as a bowling ball, when its top speed is 4MPH! lol Greatly appreciated. Memphis "Q" is magnifique! Curious what color did you go for?
sorry - didn't see the question at the end, i went with infinite black - looks pretty good with tinted windows, i just love to drive it and still get looks/questions around here (outside of yours - i've still not seen another in town although i'm told there are a few)

sorry - didn't see the question at the end, i went with infinite black - looks pretty good with tinted windows, i just love to drive it and still get looks/questions around here (outside of yours - i've still not seen another in town although i'm told there are a few)
With the running lights, it should look like a modern-day K.I.T.T., right? ;)

So Lucid has decided to change my HV battery in my car due to some test showing potential for failure. The battery was doing fine as far as I know and it’s being done as preventive maintenance. I handed my car in last week and am told it make take 1-2 weeks. I am glad that Lucid is being very upfront and just doing this out of warranty. They tell me they may replace the inverter, and wonderbox as well to keep everything same version. I asked if they used refurbished parts and they said they mostly do not. They gave me red lucid GT loaner with 14k miles on it. They told me it has speed reducers at 85 mph. I have not experienced a reduction in speed. Did your loaners reduce your speed past 85? Overall I am sad I don’t have my car, but glad that Lucid service is taking good care of me. In the end if I get a brand new battery I guess that’s winning. My car has 12k miles on it so this will be a reset I suppose. It does not reset the warranty tho so it’s the same longevity of the warranty I think 8 years /80k miles.

If you are curious how the new battery performs we can run tests once I get my car back. I am thinking I don’t get my car until near end of Feb that’s my guess.

It’s nice I got a loaner so life hasn’t changed too much. Altho I have no Alexa, or any of my apps purely relying on car play. With loaners do you used your Lucid login? Install apps like Alexa etc?
I got no clue but car play has been sufficient. View attachment 18310
They took mine in last week for the same reason. I don't have it back yet.

What are you manufacturing dates?
Is there any tend on manufacturing dates and battery/wonder box replacements?

What are you manufacturing dates?
Is there any tend on manufacturing dates and battery/wonder box replacements?
Here's the replacements I have from the survey:
1722021240983.png

Back