Lucid is changing my HV battery

blueice89

Cars
Lucid 22”AGT quantum
So Lucid has decided to change my HV battery in my car due to some test showing potential for failure. The battery was doing fine as far as I know and it’s being done as preventive maintenance. I handed my car in last week and am told it make take 1-2 weeks. I am glad that Lucid is being very upfront and just doing this out of warranty. They tell me they may replace the inverter, and wonderbox as well to keep everything same version. I asked if they used refurbished parts and they said they mostly do not. They gave me red lucid GT loaner with 14k miles on it. They told me it has speed reducers at 85 mph. I have not experienced a reduction in speed. Did your loaners reduce your speed past 85? Overall I am sad I don’t have my car, but glad that Lucid service is taking good care of me. In the end if I get a brand new battery I guess that’s winning. My car has 12k miles on it so this will be a reset I suppose. It does not reset the warranty tho so it’s the same longevity of the warranty I think 8 years /80k miles.

If you are curious how the new battery performs we can run tests once I get my car back. I am thinking I don’t get my car until near end of Feb that’s my guess.

It’s nice I got a loaner so life hasn’t changed too much. Altho I have no Alexa, or any of my apps purely relying on car play. With loaners do you used your Lucid login? Install apps like Alexa etc?
I got no clue but car play has been sufficient.
IMG_3969.jpeg

So Lucid has decided to change my battery in my car due to some test showing potential for failure. The battery was doing fine as far as I know and it’s being done as preventive maintenance. I handed my car in last week and am told it make take 1-2 weeks. I am glad that Lucid is being very upfront and just doing this out of warranty. They tell me they may replace the inverter, and wonderbox as well to keep everything same version. I asked if they used refurbished parts and they said they mostly do not. They gave me red lucid GT loaner with 14k miles on it. They told me it has speed reducers at 85 mph. I have not experienced a reduction in speed. Did your loaners reduce your speed past 85? Overall I am sad I don’t have my car, but glad that Lucid service is taking good care of me. In the end if I get a brand new battery I guess that’s winning. My car has 12k miles on it so this will be a reset I suppose. It does not reset the warranty tho so it’s the same longevity of the warranty I think 8 years /80k miles.

If you are curious how the new battery performs we can run tests once I get my car back. I am thinking I don’t get my car until near end of Feb that’s my guess.

It’s nice I got a loaner so life hasn’t changed too much. Altho I have no Alexa, or any of my apps purely relying on car play. With loaners do you used your Lucid login? Install apps like Alexa etc?
I got no clue but car play has been sufficient. View attachment 18310
I wouldn’t log in to anything personal on a loaner. Speed limiter should be at 88mph, sometimes they aren’t set.

Yes my GT Is in service center too. They are replacing HW battery.

I am glad that Lucid is being very upfront and just doing this out of warranty . . . . My car has 12k miles on it so this will be a reset I suppose.

??? Your HV battery has an 8-year/100,000-mile warranty. Surely this is a warranty repair as Lucid has detected a problem with the battery pack?

And what do you mean by a reset? As you indicated, the warranty on the new pack does not run anew from the replacement date but from the original delivery date.

??? Your HV battery has an 8-year/100,000-mile warranty. Surely this is a warranty repair as Lucid has detected a problem with the battery pack?

And what do you mean by a reset? As you indicated, the warranty on the new pack does not run anew from the replacement date but from the original delivery date.
Maybe a reset as in the degradation from the 12k is gone?

Right reset in the degradation of battery

When we had our HV battery pack replaced (along with the rear drive unit) I, too, thought it was at least nice that we recouped several thousand miles of battery life. However, with the charge limit set to 80%, the car did not regularly showing any significant additional miles of range on the dashboard after battery replacement, so there doesn't appear to have been much degradation on the original pack. (I say "regularly" because the indicated range varies between 356 miles and 347 miles at an 80% charge limit, so it's hard to gauge things exactly.)

I do wonder, though, how many of these HV packs are failing. There are already three owners reporting replacements on this one thread, and I've seen reports on other threads. And I wonder if Lucid's gotten to the bottom of the issue if there's something amiss with the engineering or manufacturing. Did anyone at Lucid tell you the nature of the problem?

As I had the same components fail in one of our Teslas and this is covered under the 8-year warranty, I don't worry overmuch about it . . . but I do wonder.

When we had our HV battery pack replaced (along with the rear drive unit) I, too, thought it was at least nice that we recouped several thousand miles of battery life. However, with the charge limit set to 80%, the car did not regularly showing any significant additional miles of range on the dashboard after battery replacement, so there doesn't appear to have been much degradation on the original pack. (I say "regularly" because the indicated range varies between 356 miles and 347 miles at an 80% charge limit, so it's hard to gauge things exactly.)

I do wonder, though, how many of these HV packs are failing. There are already three owners reporting replacements on this one thread, and I've seen reports on other threads. And I wonder if Lucid's gotten to the bottom of the issue if there's something amiss with the engineering or manufacturing. Did anyone at Lucid tell you the nature of the problem?

As I had the same components fail in one of our Teslas and this is covered under the 8-year warranty, I don't worry overmuch about it . . . but I do wonder.
Remember, the amount of failures will be overrepresented in a forum like this. It's rare that people will logon just to say that their battery has NOT failed.

So Lucid has decided to change my HV battery in my car due to some test showing potential for failure. The battery was doing fine as far as I know and it’s being done as preventive maintenance. I handed my car in last week and am told it make take 1-2 weeks. I am glad that Lucid is being very upfront and just doing this out of warranty. They tell me they may replace the inverter, and wonderbox as well to keep everything same version. I asked if they used refurbished parts and they said they mostly do not. They gave me red lucid GT loaner with 14k miles on it. They told me it has speed reducers at 85 mph. I have not experienced a reduction in speed. Did your loaners reduce your speed past 85? Overall I am sad I don’t have my car, but glad that Lucid service is taking good care of me. In the end if I get a brand new battery I guess that’s winning. My car has 12k miles on it so this will be a reset I suppose. It does not reset the warranty tho so it’s the same longevity of the warranty I think 8 years /80k miles.

Congratulations. You are receiving, IMHO, superb service from lucid. This is how it is supposed to work. The company determined the problem before you encountered it, is taking excellent action, and provided you with a quality loaner.

Congratulations. You are receiving, IMHO, superb service from lucid. This is how it is supposed to work. The company determined the problem before you encountered it, is taking excellent action, and provided you with a quality loaner.
Yes, I don't believe I would ever get this type of Service from the other EV maker here Tesla. One time I had to fight Tesla to replace my steering wheel cause the leather started peeling. SO completely agree they are treating me well, and being smart and pro-active here to replace a battery. Miss my car though, but the red loaner is not bad.

Mine was not a true failure like I did not have any problems at all except for a small door problem issue. They found mine while running the service diagnostics on car for 1 year service which I also elected to have done since it can be a little hard for me to time Service on my calendar. During the inspection they informed me of all this. So they could have put blinders on and told me everything is okay, we'll replace when it fails. It seems Lucid is more careful in this regard and being pro active to make sure I dont face a drive fault later down the road. I don't recall Tesla or other EV makes being this pro-active and hence I think what you are seeing is more cases of Lucid just being careful. I do wonder a little bit these are nice really nice things to do owners but imagine this is probably not the most cost efficient way service customers. I guess its a trade off, focus emphasize spend more to create the very best customer experience. I wont complain I am getting a new battery wooot.

Mine was not a true failure like I did not have any problems at all except for a small door problem issue. They found mine while running the service diagnostics on car for 1 year service which I also elected to have done since it can be a little hard for me to time Service on my calendar. During the inspection they informed me of all this. So they could have put blinders on and told me everything is okay, we'll replace when it fails. It seems Lucid is more careful in this regard and being pro active to make sure I dont face a drive fault later down the road. I don't recall Tesla or other EV makes being this pro-active and hence I think what you are seeing is more cases of Lucid just being careful. I do wonder a little bit these are nice really nice things to do owners but imagine this is probably not the most cost efficient way service customers. I guess its a trade off, focus emphasize spend more to create the very best customer experience. I wont complain I am getting a new battery wooot.
Actually, I think it is probably very cost efficient. The alternative is to wait till it breaks down and then there will be an expensive tow, etc.

Interesting, they called me a couple weeks ago about some anomaly in my battery and they have to take it in for a look. It goes in next week. 🤔

Interesting, they called me a couple weeks ago about some anomaly in my battery and they have to take it in for a look. It goes in next week. 🤔
Hopefully they give you a nice loaner if they have to replace :)

My car was manufactured September 2022 for some context on age, and it had 12k miles on it. I purchased it used on May 2023.

Same thing happened to me RE: HV replacement. Fantastic service (had loaner that was same model as my GT and was even equipped with same winter tire set up as mine is).

Haven't noticed any difference in range/performance/energy consumption.

Same thing happened to me RE: HV replacement. Fantastic service (had loaner that was same model as my GT and was even equipped with same winter tire set up as mine is).

Haven't noticed any difference in range/performance/energy consumption.
How long did the t take to do the replacement and get car back ?

Is there another manufacturer that can preemptively diagnose a potential failure? If so, I’m not aware of who that might be.

Is there another manufacturer that can preemptively diagnose a potential failure? If so, I’m not aware of who that might be.

The first indication we got of a problem with our 2015 Tesla Model S was when a warning light came on saying that power might fail and that the car should not be driven until contacting customer service. Then the warning would go out, and the car would drive normally. This happened a couple of times before I reached Tesla. (On the first occasion, I assumed it was just a warning light glitch, as it disappeared in a few moments. So I didn't contact Tesla until the second occurrence, although the car still drove normally when that warning light also canceled.) When I finally did reach Tesla, they told me the car was at risk of imminent failure. They had it trucked to a service center where they found a weld break had caused the battery pack, the rear drive unit, and the rear inverter to fail. (The car was purchased as a P85D. That pack had gone out of production, so it got a 90-kWh pack, and the car was rebadged as a P90D, both on the trunk and the interior screens. The P90D was announced literally the day after I took delivery of the P85D, so I actually thought I lucked out in a weird way.)

The first indication we had of a problem with the Lucid was when it went into limp mode on a busy roadway. I was near home and able to get it onto a side street where I could creep along by pressing the accelerator to the floor until the car quit moving, then releasing the accelerator and pressing it again to repeat the cycle. I made it into the garage from where Lucid picked it up the next day.

Back