New HV Battery

Yes, understood, but 2% is probably a representative set of owners (insofar as the car is concerned).
Forum members and their posts may be a highly skewed sample of all owners. Problems tend to cause owners' posting on forums.

Bobby, I’m not worried, just wondering. As you know I’ve had a slew of issues. We’re at 7 weeks in the shop of 14 weeks having the car. But we’re hanging in, hoping it it comes back next week running smoothly!
I had no idea of a battery issue. My car was running perfectly fine and then Lucid contacted me and said they saw some discrepancies in one of the packs. So they replaced my pack. The answer is really, no one knows why some packs are being replaced except Lucid. So if they contact you, just hope it's after many many miles and you get a new pack and more range!

Forum members and their posts may be a highly skewed sample of all owners. Problems tend to cause owners' posting on forums.
True but the reverse is true as well. Auto brand forums tend to get naysayers and fanboys. Goes with the territory. Like everything else these days, read it with a few grains of salt and decide whether it is useful to you.

True but the reverse is true as well. Auto brand forums tend to get naysayers and fanboys. Goes with the territory. Like everything else these days, read it with a few grains of salt and decide whether it is useful to you.
I read every single post on this forum, as do the rest of the mods. Just trust me on this one: this forum attracts far far more negative commentary than positive. It is not a useful representative sample of owners, from that perspective.

That doesn’t mean I haven’t met some of my absolute best friends here, of course.

@andrew61 the answer would appear to be that it is in earlier vehicles, yes, but not in every single one and not consistently. They developed software that was able to diagnose this, which is why they’re able to address it ahead of time now. It is not clear to me that if they *didn’t* address it anything would ever even happen, since for most people, nothing ever did.

But the problem was that when it did it was pretty bad; so they decided to address it proactively, that’s all.

The takeaway is that Lucid is monitoring so drivers won't get stuck somewhere. It would be better if it was not an issue, but it is a close second that they proactively take care of us. I'm good and I appreciate your points.

The takeaway is that Lucid is monitoring so drivers won't get stuck somewhere. It would be better if it was not an issue, but it is a close second that they proactively take care of us. I'm good and I appreciate your points.
Yeah, precisely. I don’t know how widespread it is, but before they were calling in proactively we weren’t able to figure out any specific reason or indication that was consistent among the vehicles. Based on conversations with service, it has to do with some “interference” of some kind which only crops up under specific conditions.

So the solution was to write software that checks if the vehicle is vulnerable to that, and then fix it before it happens.

That’s all the knowledge I have, and agree it would be better if the issue didn’t exist. But since it does, I’m glad they’re on top of it.

Agreed, I wish every automaker is as proactive as Lucid is.

There were not many cars delivered by Q2/3 2022 so seeing the number of proactive battery replacements posted here (mine included) there must have been a bad batch of batteries in earlier cars during the Covid supply chain. Lucid has been VERY VERY proactive on the issue, more so than any other manufacturer I know. I am happy they called me, before I saw any problems. They brought the car in, gave me a loaner for 2 weeks and fixed the issue I was unaware of. I am extremely happy for their service and would tell anyone considering a Lucid to highly relate that level of corporate committment.

I also joined the new HV battery club today and am wondering if anyone can share some best practices for breaking it in. I can't seem to find any threads on this topic.

I also joined the new HV battery club today and am wondering if anyone can share some best practices for breaking it in. I can't seem to find any threads on this topic.
Drive it, charge it. Repeat!

Drive it to a low SOC and then charge to a high SOC so the BMS sees the full battery voltage range. I do not know if Lucid does some BMS calibration based on voltage over a broad SOC but many products do.

Drive it to a low SOC and then charge to a high SOC so the BMS sees the full battery voltage range. I do not know if Lucid does some BMS calibration based on voltage over a broad SOC but many products do.
Good advice, thank you!

Have just joined this club. Lucid called last week to say that my car (GT, 4k miles) sent a message and they needed to bring it in. The tech drove a Pure loaner out from the new KoP service center to my house on Monday to swap cars (I live 95 miles from KoP). Just got a call telling me they are replacing the battery and should get it back early next week.

Its been interesting comparing the GT with the Pure. I miss the glass roof, massaging seats, 360 cameras, and overall finish of the interior materials, but the kids prefer the additional depth in the rear seat footwells and say the seats are better as they are not as slippery as the leather in the GT. Noticeable drop in power, and the loaner is speed restricted.

Overall, very impressed with Lucid's communication, attention and prompt dealing with this issue which I didn't even know existed.

Not meaning to be a Negative Nancy here -

We all need to enjoy this premium level of service we’re now enjoying. We really do. Once Lucid’s mass market model, whatever that turns out to be, hits the streets it’ll be all over. We won’t even be able to get anyone to pick up the phone never mind snap up a loaner.

I witnessed Tesla’s downward dare I say precipitous plunge in service levels once their mass market M3s and MYs went on sale. There was no way they could have maintained their “white glove” service after that (early Model S and Model X buyers will remember). I don’t believe any car manufacturer could have, or can.

Not meaning to be a Negative Nancy here -

We all need to enjoy this premium level of service we’re now enjoying. We really do. Once Lucid’s mass market model, whatever that turns out to be, hits the streets it’ll be all over. We won’t even be able to get anyone to pick up the phone never mind snap up a loaner.

I witnessed Tesla’s downward dare I say precipitous plunge in service levels once their mass market M3s and MYs went on sale. There was no way they could have maintained their “white glove” service after that (early Model S and Model X buyers will remember). I don’t believe any car manufacturer could have, or can.
While I agree that’s a risk, it doesn’t necessarily have to go that way. Many companies separate service for their lower end models, with their luxury models being much better service. They usually call it a different brand (Toyota/Lexus, etc.) but they don’t *have to*.

I don’t see why Lucid couldn’t potentially pull off the same. But they’d have to think ahead, certainly.

They’ve at least had some indications of different treatment, as DE owners have completely free maintenance and others don’t. So we’ll see!

But I do agree that’s a huge risk. They have the benefit of having seen Tesla deteriorate though, which Tesla didn’t get to see before it happened.

Lucid returned my car to me this morning. New HV battery, plus other issues (internal and external trim, HVAC system, frunk switch) all repaired. All under warranty. In all, took a week. Even though its a new battery, the warranty still applies from the date of purchase of the vehicle.

Put about 800 miles on the loaner which started developing its own issues (pilot panel screen would blank out regularly, CarPlay in and out, asking for PIN to drive, not recognizing a key). Hoping Lucid can improve consistency of software across the fleet as it detracts from the wonderful driving experience.

Back