Replace entire HV battery?

I haven't been on the forum for a while, but our HV battery replacement took almost 3 weeks. We got a poor rental but they eventually updated to a Q5. As for service, I would give the Torrance Service Center an A, and everything above them including Customer Care and Roadside Assistance a D-. It's been 1300 miles since our total shutdown in the desert, with no issues since but no DC fast charging since either. The wife takes Luci for her second real road trip this weekend (the first ending in the shutdown in Needles) so likely will see DC fast charging on the way.

With the exception of the West Palm Beach / Florida service center, service everywhere else appears to be top-notch.
Don't agree. My experiences in NJ have not been top-notch. While the technicians are knowledgeable, the infrastructure is not here yet and service is not well coordinated or communicated.

My car went in for a windshield replacement yesterday morning, first thing, along with resolving some other more minor issues since I took delivery. Was told it would take 2-3 days. At no time while I was explaining the other issues did the service rep write any of it down. The car, as of this morning, a full 24 hours later, has not moved from the spot I parked it in, in front of the Riviera Beach service center. Don't have the greatest confidence that I will see my car this week, nor will any of the other items be addressed since there was no formal work order created. Will happily report back if I am proven wrong.

Best of all.. they gave me an ICE rental with an inoperable right turning signal and am constantly reminded to check the back seat. Ghost of a previous passenger I guess who refuses to leave. Happy belated Halloween!

Last edited:
Don't agree. My experiences in NJ have not been top-notch. While the technicians are knowledgeable, the infrastructure is not here yet and service is not well coordinated or communicated.
That sucks. That’s not the typical experience, and I agree it’s important.

That sucks. That’s not the typical experience, and I agree it’s important.
On a positive note it seems to be slowly getting better over the past month. First 3 months of ownership were not good with service. They are still very understaffed but the new service manager, who I believe is actually located in MA, is at least more responsive and organized. I just think they need to go on a hiring spree.

My car went in for a windshield replacement yesterday morning, first thing, along with resolving some other more minor issues since I took delivery. Was told it would take 2-3 days. At no time while I was explaining the other issues did the service rep write any of it down. The car, as of this morning, a full 24 hours later, has not moved from the spot I parked it in, in front of the Riviera Beach service center. Don't have the greatest confidence that I will see my car this week, nor will any of the other items be addressed since there was no formal work order created. Will happily report back if I am proven wrong.

Best of all.. they gave me an ICE rental with an inoperable right turning signal and am constantly reminded to check the back seat. Ghost of a previous passenger I guess who refuses to leave. Happy belated Halloween!

Given the trials and tribulations with service out of the southeast region, I need to give massive props to Andy Frank. Andy is the District Service Manager for the Southeast region. He reached out to me last night given my challenges with the double vision in the windshield, communication missteps, and a couple of other minor post-delivery issues. We spoke at length about the lack of follow-up by my service rep and the apparent lack of enthusiasm or effort in assisting customers with their issues. I have a better sense that Andy is on top of what's happening and will only get better from here! With regards to the windshield issues, it sounds like it has gone all the way up the food chain and is being acknowledged as a problem for taller drivers. I get the sense that all options are on the table to find a solution. I won't be getting it replaced at this point as the new windshield will most likely have the same ghosting and is a rather large job to replace.

Why did you leave without a written report?

My preference is to send an email with a listing of what needs to be done so that I have a written record. Of course, that is my practice with BMW as I don't have my Pure yet.

I have had two problems since getting my car....First, a wiring harness was broken and the car stopped. Now, the car died and needed a new HV battery. The service out of Goose Island was amazing. I called at noon and told them I would be out with my wife until 5:30. No problem. at 5:30 both a Hertz Tesla and the tow truck pulled up. It's been a week and a half and I should have the car back tomorrow. I hate the flaws that issues I have had but LOVE the car so much that I'm not going to let those bother me.

I have had two problems since getting my car....First, a wiring harness was broken and the car stopped. Now, the car died and needed a new HV battery. The service out of Goose Island was amazing. I called at noon and told them I would be out with my wife until 5:30. No problem. at 5:30 both a Hertz Tesla and the tow truck pulled up. It's been a week and a half and I should have the car back tomorrow. I hate the flaws that issues I have had but LOVE the car so much that I'm not going to let those bother me.
When you say car died, what happened? Trying to figure out what your sequence of events was to determine you needed a new HV battery? Did it die while driving? Did it not start? What error did you get?

My car went 12v dead and then turtle mode in middle of trip to middle of Ohio last month. They came and picked up car, got me a rental (still have not been reimbursed for it) and after a week or so, as they waited for a part, delivered my car back to me. Part of the service record shows they checked tire pressure in all 4 tires. Good. However when delivered it appears one of the tires has developed a bulge about the size of 1/2 golf ball. Doesn't look safe to me. They have not responded yet after weekly requests for answer (ship me a tire and I'll get it put on). Frustrating. Initial service was good.

Attachments

• thumbnail_PXL_20221022_144649277.jpg
    thumbnail_PXL_20221022_144649277.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 101
My GT went unresponsive after the 2.0.14 update. Had to be towed to Milbrae Service Center. After several weeks of diagnosis they believe the HV has to be replaced. Not sure about wunderbox at the moment. Targeting completion around Thanksgiving week which would put total time at 4 weeks. The service center and customer care have been great through the process.

My postscript: The battery didn’t need to be replaced after all. A multiday process of tests and diagnostics seemed to pin the blame on the AC compressor. This has been replaced, and I have the car back. Total time: two weeks. Fingers crossed.

I haven't been on the forum for a while, but our HV battery replacement took almost 3 weeks. We got a poor rental but they eventually updated to a Q5. As for service, I would give the Torrance Service Center an A, and everything above them including Customer Care and Roadside Assistance a D-. It's been 1300 miles since our total shutdown in the desert, with no issues since but no DC fast charging since either. The wife takes Luci for her second real road trip this weekend (the first ending in the shutdown in Needles) so likely will see DC fast charging on the way.
Hello, when your vehicle shut down, was there any indication it was about to happen or was it completely sudden? Does this happen while driving? Or, did you come out to your vehicle and it wouldn't turn on? What happens?

My postscript: The battery didn’t need to be replaced after all. A multiday process of tests and diagnostics seemed to pin the blame on the AC compressor. This has been replaced, and I have the car back. Total time: two weeks. Fingers crossed.
That’s good news in the end. On Lucid’s end it seems strange that a bad AC compressor could lead them to suspect the HV battery needed to be replaced.

That’s good news in the end. On Lucid’s end it seems strange that a bad AC compressor could lead them to suspect the HV battery needed to be replaced.
This is not the first Lucid to have this identical failure that was traced to the AC, as essentially the AC is partly responsible for cooling the HV battery and so a fault in the AC could trigger an alarm in the battery. Maybe it shows up more in relation to DCFC where active cooling is needed more?

Back