Highway Assist(?)

Darrell

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Hi all,
Does anyone else find Highway Assist useless? In my experience, it’s nothing but a stress inducing nightmare. Variously I have had it cross over even solid lines, ride with two wheels on top of the line, and bounce from one side of the lane to the other. I realize their software is relatively young, but can’t it see the damn lines?

Hi all,
Does anyone else find Highway Assist useless? In my experience, it’s nothing but a stress inducing nightmare. Variously I have had it cross over even solid lines, ride with two wheels on top of the line, and bounce from one side of the lane to the other. I realize their software is relatively young, but can’t it see the damn lines?
Something is wrong with your HA. Ask service to calibrate it

The one thing I loved most of the car was HA as it use to be dead center in the lane and never ever crossed any lanes and I used to brag about it. Guess what, after updating to 2.1.13, this broke and I don’t use it much as it ping pongs me in the lane. Also, I’m most certain that this will be fixed with future OTAs. Having said that, I still enjoy the drive.

Hi all,
Let me see if I can diagnose your car.

1) Have you ever drive Tesla Autopilot system before?

Let me see if I can diagnose your car.

1) Have you ever drive Tesla Autopilot system before?
I had a FSD M3. I am not trying to compare Highway Assist to FSD. Tesla, with a 12 year head start, has for more sophisticated software. I just want HA, to not drive me off the road, or bounce off each side of the lane.

I had been having good luck with HA with all the recent updates when everyone else seemed to be having issues. That changed yesterday on my drive home from Monterey. The ping ponging was prevalent, the car occasionally hugged/was on the lane markers to the left, and I got the LKA warning a few times despite the fact that the car itself was steering. It also tried to follow a car off the highway once. I gave up and used ACC. Hopefully the issues are fixed soon. Will be driving to LA next week, so I'll give it another shot I'm sure.

I had a FSD M3. I am not trying to compare Highway Assist to FSD. Tesla, with a 12 year head start, has for more sophisticated software. I just want HA, to not drive me off the road, or bounce off each side of the lane.
Excellent. We are making good progress in the troubleshooting but not quite there yet.

The next factor to consider is:

2) Do you place your hand(s) on Lucid steering wheel?

Excellent. We are making good progress in the troubleshooting but not quite there yet.

The next factor to consider is:

2) Do you place your hand(s) on Lucid steering wheel?
Yes, usually one hand on the bottom.

I've tried it a few times an find it terrifying (takes exit lane when it sees a gap, jerks car from side to side, etc.), and because the steering wheel blocks the area where it's indicated I have to take my eyes off the road to find / see if I can get it to Assisted Cruse (which is very nice). I wish I could have it removed from the car, and that it was not the default setting. Very dangerous. Highly not recommended.

There is no such a thing as a self-driving car, and there never will be. Humans are terrible drivers (and getting worse), but still orders of magnitude better at interpreting real world driving situations than machines will ever be.

I am getting used to the duck and juke necessary to see what's behind the enormous A pillars. Had a couple of very close calls pulling out into oncoming traffic that was entirely blocked by driver's side A pillar, and about a half-dozen close calls from both. Haven't let the wife drive the car much until I can train her.

Other minor annoyances: the three bump entry dance: bump head getting in, bump again reaching all the way out to retrieve door, bump head again pulling door shut. It would be nice if the drivers seat stayed in the fully back and down position I have it in when I exit, but it goes back to the programed driving position if you do anything else first, like open one of the rear doors. First thing I do now when I open the driver's door is reach down and put the seat all the way down and back, again. Kinda defeats the auto-preference feature.

Would be kinda nice if: instead of the swag, how about giving Faraday pouches for the fobs, extra fob batteries, extra aero wedges and fasteners. ...

Other minor annoyances: the three bump entry dance: bump head getting in, bump again reaching all the way out to retrieve door, bump head again pulling door shut. It would be nice if the drivers seat stayed in the fully back and down position I have it in when I exit, but it goes back to the programed driving position if you do anything else first, like open one of the rear doors. First thing I do now when I open the driver's door is reach down and put the seat all the way down and back, again. Kinda defeats the auto-preference feature.
Have you tried the easy entry yet? It wouldn't fix your head bumping problem, but it would fix the issue of the seat not staying back when you open another door first.

Have you tried the easy entry yet? It wouldn't fix your head bumping problem, but it would fix the issue of the seat not staying back when you open another door first.
no...going to try it. so much to learn about this car! Thanks.

Oh, and another minor annoyance: the door detents: I can't seem to get the door to stay open unless I am very careful to get a leg out and hold it until it stays. Doesn't matter if it's even on a flat surface, like my garage. Had my leg trapped a few times until it trained me not to trust it. No way you can just push the door and it stays. Next time I go to a Lucid rally I'm going to have a contest to see who can get the door to stop at both detents just by pushing from the driver's seat. Or is that just my car?

I've tried it a few times an find it terrifying (takes exit lane when it sees a gap, jerks car from side to side, etc.), and because the steering wheel blocks the area where it's indicated I have to take my eyes off the road to find / see if I can get it to Assisted Cruse (which is very nice). I wish I could have it removed from the car, and that it was not the default setting. Very dangerous. Highly not recommended.
Have you turned off the distracted driver alerts? That should get rid of the pesky alerts.

There seems to be a steady drum beat of customer dissatisfaction of both the HA bugs and the implementation of the torque system for signaling that the driver is alert. The posts on X and Facebook regarding these issues are brutal. My hope is that Lucid is paying close attention and behind the scenes is making major changes to the system. It sure would be nice if these changes are announced when the Gravity is released.

The excuse of “it’s a drivers car and Lucid customers don’t care” is not going to cut it as Lucid attempts to gain significant market share. Like it or not, software is a major factor when buyers decide on what car to buy and they factor the feedback on social media.

Reactions: DBV
After hitting my head on the pillar (not once, but twice), I learned to enter the car with both feet on the ground facing away from the door and sitting down backwards butt first. If you attempt to look to the front of the car while doing this, you will head your head on the pillar. Your head needs to stay in a position that does not leave the high point of the door. I also give this advice to all 1st time passengers.

Now that I can afford the exotics...I must surrender my dignity to use them. No wonder SUVs are so popular with we fat and unfit Americans.

Yes, usually one hand on the bottom.
BINGO!!!!!

Don't touch your steering wheel if you want your Lucid to center the lane.

I come from Tesla, so I would rest my hand/arm on the steering wheel to prevent the alarms. It senses the constant torque, and I seldom get any warning messages/visual/audio at all.

If I bring that practice to Lucid, my Lucid would drift out of the center and by the time it alarms it might be too late and it's already drifting out of lane (and not just off center within the lane).

I don't doubt that other people don't have this kind of problem. I am just saying if you do, try to stop touching your Lucid steering wheel!

Have you turned off the distracted driver alerts? That should get rid of the pesky alerts.

There seems to be a steady drum beat of customer dissatisfaction of both the HA bugs and the implementation of the torque system for signaling that the driver is alert. The posts on X and Facebook regarding these issues are brutal. My hope is that Lucid is paying close attention and behind the scenes is making major changes to the system. It sure would be nice if these changes are announced when the Gravity is released.

The excuse of “it’s a drivers car and Lucid customers don’t care” is not going to cut it as Lucid attempts to gain significant market share. Like it or not, software is a major factor when buyers decide on what car to buy and they factor the feedback on social media.
Totally agree with you. I want both, a drivers car and a car with really good software/tech too, especially at this price range. They really need to start having more frequent software updates that whittle away at some of these repeated issues that are coming up.

I am getting used to the duck and juke necessary to see what's behind the enormous A pillars. Had a couple of very close calls pulling out into oncoming traffic that was entirely blocked by driver's side A pillar, and about a half-dozen close calls from both. Haven't let the wife drive the car much until I can train her.

You can press park to enable the cameras if you like. It might help. Also you have the camera on the main screen when you turn unless you don't have that option? I love the cameras.

There is no such a thing as a self-driving car, and there never will be.
They said the same thing about Chess, Go, Jeopardy, replicating humans via video and audio, translating language in real-time (babelfish), spy and missile drones, etc.

Never underestimate the power of technology to surprise us. :)

Friendly wager? :)

Back