Returned from NJ-Indy road-trip. Learnings: 1) Found Highway Assist much improved. Still is confused by dotted line demarcating an entrance ramp (but not an exit) where it wanted to veer. Further refinement for this and smoothing out centering needed. 2). Drove in light rain and mist for over a hundred miles and never once had HA shut down because sensor was blocked. 3) Drove several hours in the dark with stops. Wish the auto-dim could be set to default without having to remember to re-engage it after a stop. 4). The Lucid Nav App was good at setting charge locations and estimating how much charge was needed to reach the next stop with one exception. 5) the one exception - Overnighted in Dayton on the way out. Charged enough to make Indy the next day according to Lucid Nav App (temperature was in low 40’s at the time). Awoke to 28 degrees and not enough charge to reach Indy. The charging station was nearby but I was on leaving to eulogize a friend at his funeral. Before charging I had enough time to arrive 30 minutes early. After charging the minimum needed, I arrived 10 minutes late. 6). It pays to have your last stop not be your destination but the nearest charging station to that destination. When I arrived for the funeral I had an 8% charge left. Luckily, I had checked and knew a charging station was just 6 miles away. By the time I arrived there after the funeral I had 6%. If the church had been 20 miles away from the charging station I would never have made it. 7) EA stations performed well on average. Round trip I had 7 charging experiences. With only 2 did I find the charge severely limited by the machine. When adjacent chargers opened in each place I changed and found high rates of charge. 8). The chargers not once accepted my Lucid App for payment on the first go. I had to unplug at least 3 times for it to recognize and accept. The longest and most frustrating (6 retries) was in a cold driving rain. Those suckers need canopies over them.

How did the rest of you fare on Thanksgiving road trips?
I figured I'd post here as I planned a last minute road trip from Providence RI to Crown Point Indiana and probably went a somewhat similar route to you (80 west?). My intent was to visit my grandparents who are 90 and 92 because they're increasingly frail. Unfortunately I had to abandon the trip after stopping in Medina OH overnight and return home because I got sick and spiked a fever to 102.7 (Covid negative) and didn't want to expose my grandparents. So I drove 1,280 miles for nothing but I did learn a lot. I stopped at the Sheetz in Bloomsburg PA (sucked, 2 of 4 chargers down in spite of PlugScore of 10, had to wait 40 minutes to plug in), Clarion PA EA WalMart which was great and got me 234kw and also the thermometer that told me I needed to abandon the trip, the Holiday Inn Express in Medina OH as I'd already made the reservation and really needed the rest now that I got sick and they had a L2 charger, back to the Clarion PA EA on the way back since it was a good one, and then the WalMart EA in East Stroudsburg PA which were new units and I got 245 Kw, and added 53kw in 18 minutes meanwhile the Kona next to me added 53Kw in 51 minutes! All I can say is the car was awesome, there's no other vehicle I could have done this trip in with this little fatigue and stress (ICE or EV!), especially while being sick driving back home in heavy rain. Highway assist made the drive much less fatiguing and only required rare interventions, and many times in severe rain it could see the road when I couldn't. The heated/massaging seats plus phenomenal audio definitely made me feel less ill and helped me power through the 640 mile drive back in terrible conditions. The lone criticism I have for HA is that it doesn't slow down for corners, so you have to manually. The Mercedes ADAS does slow down (they call it route based speed adaptation). And you're right it would sometimes mistake on-ramp lines as the point of reference pulling you to the right if you were in the right lane.

More than anything else, more than the car's range estimator which we know to be useless, more than ABRP, more than Plugshare, the solution to smart road tripping is anyone with an iPhone and Grand Touring needs this GT Range Siri shortcut, just say Hey Siri GT range and it will figure out your range prediction based on that number, or any number if you want so you could see what it would be like if you drove slower or faster. I don't recall who made this shortcut but I want to shake their hand! I'm sure someone can mod it for the Touring/Pure battery pack size if they want.

You can do the math yourself or ask Alexa to do the math (multiply current efficiency x battery percentage x battery pack size) but that's a lot more cumbersome.
The reason why this shortcut was helpful is efficiency changes based on multiple conditions, as you experienced. I started out my trip with 4.2 mi/kwh after going 180 miles, got to the charger at 3.8 mi/kwh, hit torrential rain and blinding fog on the way back with efficiency as low as 2.8 mi/kwh and ended at home with 3.4 mi/kwh, compounded by the fact that I was driving as fast as traffic would allow because I was trying to beat a big storm that was supposed to hit with flash flood conditions and 60mph wind gusts. Using the Siri GT Range shortcut saved me from my original plan of charging in Stamford CT on the way back and stopping much sooner at the WalMart in East Stroudsburg PA, as my efficiency on the way back due to the worse conditions would have made me not make the originally planned charging stop.

Here’s the thread on the shortcut. With links for various versions for different trims. Glad it came in handy.

(I’m actually working on something that makes it even better. But not prepared to announce that just yet.)

Here’s the thread on the shortcut. With links for various versions for different trims. Glad it came in handy.

(I’m actually working on something that makes it even better. But not prepared to announce that just yet.)

Thanks again for making that. Why the car doesn’t adapt miles remaining to current efficiency in 15min increments is beyond me, but I must have used your shortcut 8 times on my trip to decide whether to push it or stop early. That plus this app showing the weather along the route based on time really helped. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/weather-on-the-way/id1471394318

These are both great tools to know about. Thanks, Bunny and joec. I am heading back down to Atlanta and Chattanooga the day after Christmas and will add these to my repertoire. I couldn’t agree more - this car is awesome, even without massaging seats, in terms of driving long distances without fatigue.

Bunny, hope you have recovered with no after affects and will be able to make that visit to see your grandparents in the near future. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Thanks man, can’t kick this fever even on Tylenol so I’ll see if urgent care has any solutions. Let me know how your trip to Chattanooga goes, try and use that Mercedes charging site they opened up in Atlanta, looks like what we wish every charging location could be! Merry Christmas and happy new year to you too.

Thanks man, can’t kick this fever even on Tylenol so I’ll see if urgent care has any solutions. Let me know how your trip to Chattanooga goes, try and use that Mercedes charging site they opened up in Atlanta, looks like what we wish every charging location could be! Merry Christmas and happy new year to you too.llc
Good luck. I had what I could only diagnose as RSV (neg. flu, neg. covid, definitely not a typical cold virus) and it laid me out for like 1.5-2 weeks. Then Annie caught it, and it laid her out for 1.5-2 weeks lol. Hope you fare better.

It probably was. It’s what put my grandma in the hospital, gave her Afib and triggered a heart failure exacerbation, which was why I was trying to go visit her. It’s going around like crazy right now and she didn’t get the new RSV vaccine in time.

It probably was. It’s what put my grandma in the hospital, gave her Afib and triggered a heart failure exacerbation, which was why I was trying to go visit her. It’s going around like crazy right now and she didn’t get the new RSV vaccine in time.
Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Sounds like ASA 3. Hope she has speedy recovery.
Lots of professional folks down here want to have the vaccine but are turned down because of the age requirement.
Good luck. I had what I could only diagnose as RSV (neg. flu, neg. covid, definitely not a typical cold virus) and it laid me out for like 1.5-2 weeks. Then Annie caught it, and it laid her out for 1.5-2 weeks lol. Hope you fare better.
I'm really impressed that you even thought of RSV.
Yes, a really bad player. A 40-some-year-old friend of ours said RSV was worse than COVID for her.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Sounds like ASA 3. Hope she has speedy recovery.
Lots of professional folks down here want to have the vaccine but are turned down because of the age requirement.

Yes, a really bad player. A 40-some-year-old friend of ours said RSV was worse than COVID for her.
Thanks she’s in a rehab now and just today started improving, was able to FaceTime at least. Of course my temp won’t budge below 100.4, most of the time more like 101-102F. Urgent care said they’re seeing this all over the place, Covid/flu negative febrile illness, all you can really do is hydrate and suffer.

It was similar to COVID for me; but it lasted longer and I continue to have this latent cough, as does Annie. I only had a fever for about a day, same with Annie.

The majority of it was just extreme fatigue, congestion, sneezing, and classic upper respiratory symptoms.

I'm very glad it didn't get worse, though, as it certainly can.

I caught RSV last year at my mother’s funeral. Definitely worse than COVID for me. But I got pretty lucky when it comes to COVID. It only seemed to manifest as a mild cold to me.

RSV lasted a lot longer, gave me a wicked cough, and took out my voice for the most part. Nasty little bug.

I caught RSV last year at my mother’s funeral. Definitely worse than COVID for me. But I got pretty lucky when it comes to COVID. It only seemed to manifest as a mild cold to me.

RSV lasted a lot longer, gave me a wicked cough, and took out my voice for the most part. Nasty little bug.
I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's passing.
My late condolences to you and family.

Yup, same. I'd say that COVID was 'more intense' but much shorter, just like a normal flu.

RSV is still making me wheeze, weeks later, and Annie lost her voice for like 3-4 days.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's passing.
My late condolences to you and family.
Thanks. I appreciate that.

Back