JerseyStrong

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring
On a Thanksgiving weekend round trip from NJ to Indy, I had a chance to give the software update a good test run. Highway Assist is significantly improved. I did notice that it had trouble staying centered when passing an entrance onto the freeway marked by dotted lines. It did seem to maintain centeredness in curves better of Insid not have my hand on the wheel. It could be further refined for a yet smoother experience.
The Lucid nav app dependably set charging points for me and the estimates of % charge left were within 1-2% every time.
I did quite a bit of nighttime driving with stops and after each stop had to remember to reset the auto-dim feature. I searched the manual and could not find instructions to make auto-dim a default. Did I miss something?
This car is way too much fun driving! Usually after a 400 mile trip I am worn out. Not so with the Lucid.
My EA experience was mostly positive. However an annoyance is that EA chargers consistently failed to accept Lucid payment on the first try. Usually it took 3-4 tries (the longest of which was in a cold driving rain). My rate of charging was extremely good in all but 2 instances where it was machine limited. With each I was able to shift to a different one with a high rate of charge.
I learned the impact of cold temps on range. On my way out. I charged up enough according to the app to make it to Indy from my overnight stop. The temperature was in the high 30’s. The next morning it was in the high 20’s and I found I now did not have enough charge and I had to return to the charging station. I was on my way to a funeral to eulogize a friend. The extra 30 minutes charging to get me to Indy meant I arrived about 10 minutes late rather than 20 minutes early. Also, because of the time constraint I charged the minimum needed to get there. I knew there was a charging station six miles from the church. When I arrived there after the service I had 6% charge left. Lesson reinforced: know how far the next station for recharging is from the final destination and make sure you have enough electrons to get there.
Looking forward to the next road trip which will be after Christmas to see family in GA.

Returned from NJ-Indy road-trip. Learnings: 1) Found Highway Assist much improved. Still is confused by dotted line demarcating an entrance ramp (but not an exit) where it wanted to veer. Further refinement for this and smoothing out centering needed. 2). Drove in light rain and mist for over a hundred miles and never once had HA shut down because sensor was blocked. 3) Drove several hours in the dark with stops. Wish the auto-dim could be set to default without having to remember to re-engage it after a stop. 4). The Lucid Nav App was good at setting charge locations and estimating how much charge was needed to reach the next stop with one exception. 5) the one exception - Overnighted in Dayton on the way out. Charged enough to make Indy the next day according to Lucid Nav App (temperature was in low 40’s at the time). Awoke to 28 degrees and not enough charge to reach Indy. The charging station was nearby but I was on leaving to eulogize a friend at his funeral. Before charging I had enough time to arrive 30 minutes early. After charging the minimum needed, I arrived 10 minutes late. 6). It pays to have your last stop not be your destination but the nearest charging station to that destination. When I arrived for the funeral I had an 8% charge left. Luckily, I had checked and knew a charging station was just 6 miles away. By the time I arrived there after the funeral I had 6%. If the church had been 20 miles away from the charging station I would never have made it. 7) EA stations performed well on average. Round trip I had 7 charging experiences. With only 2 did I find the charge severely limited by the machine. When adjacent chargers opened in each place I changed and found high rates of charge. 8). The chargers not once accepted my Lucid App for payment on the first go. I had to unplug at least 3 times for it to recognize and accept. The longest and most frustrating (6 retries) was in a cold driving rain. Those suckers need canopies over them.

How did the rest of you fare on Thanksgiving road trips?

Sorry to hear about your friend. Since my round trip to Jersey and back was about 200 miles, no charging was necessary. My roundtrip efficiency was 4.2, so I was quite pleased given that we left with temps in the low 40s. When I got to our destination, I was still showing a bit over 200 miles remaining. Comforting.

What a great trip it was and I can’t remember making this trip and feeling so relaxed when we got home at night. :)

I posted on another thread about my (positive) Highway Assist experience over Thanksgiving. My drive was round trip Ft Lauderdale to Asheville. And my Electrify America charging experiences were, for the most part, okay. Sometimes the charger wouldn’t recognize the car and I got “Charging Error. Unplug.” No matter which charger I tried at that station, same error. After a long, friendly (and wasted) call with Lucid’s CS, I called Electrify America directly. After a 20 minute hold, someone finally did a “manual push” (Ahh! The magic secret!) and it worked fine after that. In general though, I found charging speeds to be pretty good. While I enjoyed gossiping with fellow chargers while we waited at these stations, I wish the stops were shorter. If anything prevents would-be shoppers from buying an EV, it would be the unreliable and infrequent charging stations. Until they become as ubiquitous as gas stations, people just won’t sign up for these kinds of long road trips.

I mistakenly said I had 200 miles remaining at our destination but it was actually a bit over 300 miles remaining.

3) Drove several hours in the dark with stops. Wish the auto-dim could be set to default without having to remember to re-engage it after a stop.
Wait, what does this mean? What auto-dim?

Borski, when the lights are on, you can push the left stalk towards the dash and it engages the auto-dim feature. A white icon shows up between the high and low beam icons. I found it by chance.

Borski, when the lights are on, you can push the left stalk towards the dash and it engages the auto-dim feature. A white icon shows up between the high and low beam icons. I found it by chance.

😆 That feature was there since beginning of UX2.0. 😊

That feature was there since beginning of UX2.0. 😊

Tesla 2.0, is ther a way to make it the default? I could not find that as an option in the manual.

That feature was there since beginning of UX2.0. 😊

Tesla 2.0, is ther a way to make it the default? I could not find that as an option in the manual.

Settings -> Vehicle -> Drive Settings
Scroll to bottom, turn High Beam Assist “ON”

Ah, you mean for high beam assist. It is the default, assuming you set the setting @Tesla2.0 listed above to 'On'. That said, if you push it twice, it will toggle between 'always on' and 'auto dim'. The blue icon means it's on, the icon with the A in it means it is autodimming.

That said, when you get into the car after you've parked, you will need to hit the switch once to turn on high beam assist. This is done so that you don't accidentally blind oncoming traffic if you're, say, in a parking lot or something.

Borski, “Foot garage” was a Rawlinson term in one of the first Lucid videos referring to what I have always known as the rear footwells of a car.

Borski, “Foot garage” was a Rawlinson term in one of the first Lucid videos referring to what I have always known as the rear footwells of a car.
Actually, I believe the term originated from the Porsche Taycan, where they used "foot garages" to increase the rear legroom.

It does sound stupid, but you would need a name for your clever thinking of putting batteries somewhere else to increase rear legroom!

Wait, what does this mean? What auto-dim?
It's high beam assist. And I wish I could set it to automatically engage as well.

You can, just need to do it Everytime you drive

Back