Trip planning methods

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
Today I worked on planning a road trip to a somewhat remote area in the Eastern Sierras, and am wondering how many of you do it. After 13 years driving EVs, here is my strategy.

1) Use a combination of Google Maps and ABRP to arrange an initial list of destinations and the charging stations that can get me there and back.

2) Check Plugshare and each charging vendor's phone app to make sure the charging stations are mostly functional. Refine plan as needed.

3) Repeat step 2 the night before departing.

4) While enroute, before leaving a charging station, check the next charging station's phone app again to make sure the next location is still operational.

I tried using Plugshare today for trip planning, and while it could draw lines on a map, it didn't predict where I would need to charge, and seemed to be happy to route me to a place I could not return from due to insufficient charge. I was a little surprised by this, lacking the main functionality of an EV trip planner.

Attachments

• Lucid Long Road with Wooden Fence.jpg
    Lucid Long Road with Wooden Fence.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 57
@DeaneG same method here. It always feels like roulette in the remote areas even when you check plug share and it has a high rating and operational chargers because you know there's no plan B. My wife experienced this with me last fall, and said, "what do we do if there's a problem at the next charging station." She didn't appreciate my response, which had something to do about packing comfortable shoes...

Hopefully when we get NACS support, this will all be stresses of the past! I never really worried too much about supercharger availability when I had my Tesla, so never used PlugShare. I would still use ABRP for better efficiency estimation.

Hopefully when we get NACS support, this will all be stresses of the past! I never really worried too much about supercharger availability when I had my Tesla, so never used PlugShare. I would still use ABRP for better efficiency estimation.
Same here when I had my Model 3. There are Rivian and Tesla sites in the area that would come in very handy, if they were available to us.

Same here when I had my Model 3. There are Rivian and Tesla sites in the area that would come in very handy, if they were available to us.
I think rivian was planning to open theirs up later this year too.

Mostly ditto. For my trip, I made an Excel spreadsheet that combined the Google Maps turn-by-turn data with the ABRP-recommended chargers, and sprinkled in all the other chargers EA listed along the way. Here's a good chunk of my end result. I didn't go so far as to add in turn-by-turn directions to each charger, but I'm considering it.
1710028947871.png

I forgot to mention, for long trips I also make a charger list with addresses, and the distance to the next charging stop, so I know what SOC I should charge to in order to make it to the next stop.
Longing for the day when all this isn't necessary, but I think it will be a decade or so for trips to remote areas.

I pick my lunch and overnight stopping points just as I would in an ICE vehicle, and then use PlugShare to show me what's on the way and what's near my stopping points. I used this method for Seattle area to Cupertino and back and also to Banff/Jasper and back and it's worked well. I'll be doing a round trip to Santa Barbara next month and already have the trip planned in PlugShare. I just find ABRP odd and non-intuitive. But, I also have apps for all the major charging networks and use those as needed once underway. I also try not to go much under 20% SOC to have a decent reserve for the inevitable EA screw-up.

I pick my lunch and overnight stopping points just as I would in an ICE vehicle, and then use PlugShare to show me what's on the way and what's near my stopping points....
Well, hello from Cupertino! I'm one of two white GT's with 19" wheels.

Using Plugshare, how do you know where you'll need to stop to charge, and how much to charge?
Agreed ABRP's UI is miserable, but it does predict SOC reasonably accurately, so it's been useful for estimating where I'll need to charge.

I just look at time and miles from my starting point to figure out when I'll want to stop to eat and take a bio break. For example, my first stop will be in Salem, OR, since that's about 230 miles and 3 1/2 hours from home. I look to see what EA charging is in or near Salem and found one at the Walmart. PlugShare also tells me there's dining nearby, so I go into Google Maps and see there's a deli inside the Walmart and a McDonald's close to EA (I didn't say I ate well on my road trips ....). As for how much to charge, I usually just take what I can get in 45 minutes. I try not to plan for more than 250 miles between charging stops so if I get to 80-85% on the charge, I'm generally pretty safe within that range. I do try to get to 100% when starting the trip and staying at places that have Level II chargers that can get me to or close to 100% overnight. I'm especially wary when climbing the mountain passes on 5, but once I reach the top I know I'll be fine because of all the regen going back down.

Oh, and I'm stopping in Cupertino on the way down since we'll be celebrating my MIL's 90th birthday and she lives in a retirement community there.

I tried using Plugshare today for trip planning, and while it could draw lines on a map, it didn't predict where I would need to charge, and seemed to be happy to route me to a place I could not return from due to insufficient charge. I was a little surprised by this, lacking the main functionality of an EV trip planner.
their route planning on desktop supports it. I always use it. It draws a circle based on your car's range which you can customize it. Once you set it up on desktop, you can use the mobile app. I prefer Plugshare to ABRP.

I just look at time and miles from my starting point to figure out when I'll want to stop to eat and take a bio break. For example, my first stop will be in Salem, OR, since that's about 230 miles and 3 1/2 hours from home. I look to see what EA charging is in or near Salem and found one at the Walmart. PlugShare also tells me there's dining nearby, so I go into Google Maps and see there's a deli inside the Walmart and a McDonald's close to EA (I didn't say I ate well on my road trips ....). As for how much to charge, I usually just take what I can get in 45 minutes. I try not to plan for more than 250 miles between charging stops so if I get to 80-85% on the charge, I'm generally pretty safe within that range. I do try to get to 100% when starting the trip and staying at places that have Level II chargers that can get me to or close to 100% overnight. I'm especially wary when climbing the mountain passes on 5, but once I reach the top I know I'll be fine because of all the regen going back down.
This is exactly what I do. Making spreadsheets and keeping addresses is far too much planning for my ADHD brain.

Never gotten stranded yet. 🤷‍♂️

(And I also use PlugShare)

I created a new app for the iPhone that calculates the range of any EV according to efficiency and battery size. It is easy to use and available on the Apple Store free of charge.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/evrc/id6478421298

Features:

EV Range Calculator for all EV cars and trucks. Perfect for trip planning and knowing when to unplug the charger and get back on the road. On the road you can quickly calculate what efficiency is needed to reach your destination. Adjusting to a lower speed improves your efficiency, and assures you that you will arrive without range anxiety. EVrc is simple to use and quickly will confirm any range estimate for stress-free EV driving.

I like your approach to use the estimate to inform driving style choice.
There are a LOT of variables, that often vary along the entire route:
- Temperature
- Elevation
- Precipitation
- Road surface
- Tire inflation
- Cabin temp, defog
- Driving style (acceleration, speed)
For now, intuition and conservative charging stops are my M.O. Let's me drive fast and fun.
(I regularly drive up the other side of the Columbia past Chelan to and from the Methow, might have to take the west route through Chelan just so your Lucid isn't the only one there!)

Reactions: Plg
I think rivian was planning to open theirs up later this year too.
Load up the Rivian app-- you can already use their network with their app (open to all it says) and I've already heard others mention seeing non-Rivian charging up (even tesla) at Rivian stations

I created a new app for the iPhone that calculates the range of any EV according to efficiency and battery size. It is easy to use and available on the Apple Store free of charge.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/evrc/id6478421298

Features:

EV Range Calculator for all EV cars and trucks. Perfect for trip planning and knowing when to unplug the charger and get back on the road. On the road you can quickly calculate what efficiency is needed to reach your destination. Adjusting to a lower speed improves your efficiency, and assures you that you will arrive without range anxiety. EVrc is simple to use and quickly will confirm any range estimate for stress-free EV driving.
If you like the app, please give it a Rating & Review on the App Store. I will be adding many more "nerdy" features with updates coming soon.

Load up the Rivian app-- you can already use their network with their app (open to all it says) and I've already heard others mention seeing non-Rivian charging up (even tesla) at Rivian stations
You might be talking about their L2 chargers. 11kw. Those are like destination chargers and afaik they are open to everyone. But not the 300KW L3 chargers

You might be talking about their L2 chargers. 11kw. Those are like destination chargers and afaik they are open to everyone. But not the 300KW L3 chargers
@momo3605 is correct. Only the Rivian L2 chargers are currently available to all. The DCFCs are only available to Rivians. The Rivian DCFCs are, in my opinion, much better than EA's. They are fast and reliable. And they routinely deliver more than 200kW (rated @ 300kW). Rivian charges $0.36/kWh. This is cheaper than EA and Tesla.

@momo3605 is correct. Only the Rivian L2 chargers are currently available to all. The DCFCs are only available to Rivians. The Rivian DCFCs are, in my opinion, much better than EA's. They are fast and reliable. And they routinely deliver more than 200kW (rated @ 300kW). Rivian charges $0.36/kWh. This is cheaper than EA and Tesla.
As others have noted, Rivian plans to open their chargers to all later this year. Many of the Rivian Adventure charging Stations are located in remote areas where people go hiking, 4-wheeling, etc.. I prefer the Rivian chargers to EA/EVGo/Tesla.

Back