Epic road trip: I survived Colorado's big snowstorm

Vette2Lucid

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
Folks, my round-trip from Phoenix to Colorado Springs went well, but not without excitement.

This was my first EV road trip and as you saw from another recent thread of mine, I was a bit worried. What if I couldn't charge successfully at a charging station and didn't have enough range left to make it to another? There are enough horror stories on the web. This isn't another one :)

Lucid's navigation system was very reassuring in that it slightly underestimated how much range I'd have left at each charging stop. The car's range outlasted mine-- I had to make one restroom stop where I wasn't charging. I was conservative and kept charging past the recommended state of charge at each stop-- which I knew meant arriving with a higher state of charge and thus getting lower peak charging rates, lengthening my stops. If there were more charging stops along the way, I might have been less conservative. I was actually considering stopping at every charging station along the way, but when the nav updated my course along the way and told me I could skip the stop in Gallup and go all the way to Grants, I suddenly realized this car is a real-deal road-tripper. I still stopped in Gallup but felt greatly reassured.

On the way up, I did have a few issues:
  • Hearing "Follow the highway" what seemed like every ten minutes, interrupting my music, got aggravating. Why does the nav bother saying this? I eventually figured out I could mute the nav.
  • Thankfully this only happened once-- and I knew better than to follow its directions: the nav wanted me to get off I-40 at one exit, just to rejoin I-40.
  • For a few minutes, my music got stuck at the reduced volume level it plays at while the nav system is talking over it, except that the nav system wasn't talking. Playing with the volume didn;t help because it would only adjust the nav volume. I solved the issue by making a phone call: after the call ended, the music was back to normal volume.
  • After over 600 miles of driving, my back was getting sore. But, as I've discovered with other endurance activities, time in the saddle helps you discover little adjustments that make things so much better. I played with the lumbar and thigh support and the seat feels better than ever. It was fantastic for the remainder of the trip.
The reason for the trip was to see my brother and my parents the day before he was to donate a kidney for a friend who needs one. My brother is amazing. It was so good to see him. It had been a few years. I had never been to Colorado Springs and it was so beautiful, sunny and cool when I arrived. But the weather changed quickly, bringing rain and then snow while he showed us around Garden of the Gods. The snow cleared in time for us to do a 5K run together (he had been running one EVERY DAY for almost four years straight, and this would be his last one in this streak). But the forecast was dire and he had to be in Denver the next morning for his operation. So, after dinner, he headed to Denver, while I headed south, back over Raton Pass, in hopes of not getting snowed in for a few days.

I woke up early in Raton and quickly hit the road, pushing the pace in hopes of avoiding the worst of the storm. I did wind up driving in very-quickly-accumulating snow for maybe ten miles but thankfully that was the worst of it. The cold, the pace, and the headwind all conspired to reduce my efficiency that morning-- and throughout the rest of the day, as temps didn't pop up over 50 until the very last leg of the trip. When I approached Grants, I was initially planning on continuing on to Gallup, but decided to take the road less travelled down through Quemado, Springerville, Show Low, and Globe. My Lucid hit 10,000 miles driving down into Salt River Canyon. Due to damp roads, I kept it in Smooth and never once had to touch the brake pedal, but even still, it was a delightful drive.

I'm happy to note that I didn't notice a single plug being down at the stations I visited, and plug-and-charge worked flawlessly at all but two of my stops on the first try. And where it didn't work on the first try, it did eventually work. Still, people coming from ICE will expect it to work every time. On the other hand, when I was in Albuquerque, I noticed that the other vehicles charging there had to fuss with phone apps to get charging going. So Lucid scores big here by supporting plug-and-charge.

I was surprised to see so few EVs out on the open road-- I believe I counted FOUR that weren't in an urban/suburban area. You can see evidence of that in the table below, where the only charging stop where I encountered another EV was Albuquerque. Well, there was a Lightning in Show Low, but it was presumably a Show Low City Hall employee and they were not occupying a charging station. In Albuquerque, I did meet the Rivian mobile service tech who covers the entire state, and he was quite surprised to see a Lucid. On the way back, in the same place, I met a family road-tripping in their Rivian R1S. I'm hopeful that as the number of charging stations grow, people will become more confident about road-tripping their EVs. I really enjoyed this opportunity.

1710739733755.png

Thankfully this only happened once-- and I knew better than to follow its directions: the nav wanted me to get off I-40 at one exit, just to rejoin I-40.
Excellent write up. If you have the date and time, location and your navigation points, please share this with customer care. We spoke with the project manager for navigation and she would really like this information so that she can improve the system.

Nice write-up. I'm assuming you meant to put March and not April???

Folks, my round-trip from Phoenix to Colorado Springs went well, but not without excitement.

This was my first EV road trip and as you saw from another recent thread of mine, I was a bit worried. What if I couldn't charge successfully at a charging station and didn't have enough range left to make it to another? There are enough horror stories on the web. This isn't another one :)

Lucid's navigation system was very reassuring in that it slightly underestimated how much range I'd have left at each charging stop. The car's range outlasted mine-- I had to make one restroom stop where I wasn't charging. I was conservative and kept charging past the recommended state of charge at each stop-- which I knew meant arriving with a higher state of charge and thus getting lower peak charging rates, lengthening my stops. If there were more charging stops along the way, I might have been less conservative. I was actually considering stopping at every charging station along the way, but when the nav updated my course along the way and told me I could skip the stop in Gallup and go all the way to Grants, I suddenly realized this car is a real-deal road-tripper. I still stopped in Gallup but felt greatly reassured.

On the way up, I did have a few issues:
  • Hearing "Follow the highway" what seemed like every ten minutes, interrupting my music, got aggravating. Why does the nav bother saying this? I eventually figured out I could mute the nav.
  • Thankfully this only happened once-- and I knew better than to follow its directions: the nav wanted me to get off I-40 at one exit, just to rejoin I-40.
  • For a few minutes, my music got stuck at the reduced volume level it plays at while the nav system is talking over it, except that the nav system wasn't talking. Playing with the volume didn;t help because it would only adjust the nav volume. I solved the issue by making a phone call: after the call ended, the music was back to normal volume.
  • After over 600 miles of driving, my back was getting sore. But, as I've discovered with other endurance activities, time in the saddle helps you discover little adjustments that make things so much better. I played with the lumbar and thigh support and the seat feels better than ever. It was fantastic for the remainder of the trip.
The reason for the trip was to see my brother and my parents the day before he was to donate a kidney for a friend who needs one. My brother is amazing. It was so good to see him. It had been a few years. I had never been to Colorado Springs and it was so beautiful, sunny and cool when I arrived. But the weather changed quickly, bringing rain and then snow while he showed us around Garden of the Gods. The snow cleared in time for us to do a 5K run together (he had been running one EVERY DAY for almost four years straight, and this would be his last one in this streak). But the forecast was dire and he had to be in Denver the next morning for his operation. So, after dinner, he headed to Denver, while I headed south, back over Raton Pass, in hopes of not getting snowed in for a few days.

I woke up early in Raton and quickly hit the road, pushing the pace in hopes of avoiding the worst of the storm. I did wind up driving in very-quickly-accumulating snow for maybe ten miles but thankfully that was the worst of it. The cold, the pace, and the headwind all conspired to reduce my efficiency that morning-- and throughout the rest of the day, as temps didn't pop up over 50 until the very last leg of the trip. When I approached Grants, I was initially planning on continuing on to Gallup, but decided to take the road less travelled down through Quemado, Springerville, Show Low, and Globe. My Lucid hit 10,000 miles driving down into Salt River Canyon. Due to damp roads, I kept it in Smooth and never once had to touch the brake pedal, but even still, it was a delightful drive.

I'm happy to note that I didn't notice a single plug being down at the stations I visited, and plug-and-charge worked flawlessly at all but two of my stops on the first try. And where it didn't work on the first try, it did eventually work. Still, people coming from ICE will expect it to work every time. On the other hand, when I was in Albuquerque, I noticed that the other vehicles charging there had to fuss with phone apps to get charging going. So Lucid scores big here by supporting plug-and-charge.

I was surprised to see so few EVs out on the open road-- I believe I counted FOUR that weren't in an urban/suburban area. You can see evidence of that in the table below, where the only charging stop where I encountered another EV was Albuquerque. Well, there was a Lightning in Show Low, but it was presumably a Show Low City Hall employee and they were not occupying a charging station. In Albuquerque, I did meet the Rivian mobile service tech who covers the entire state, and he was quite surprised to see a Lucid. On the way back, in the same place, I met a family road-tripping in their Rivian R1S. I'm hopeful that as the number of charging stations grow, people will become more confident about road-tripping their EVs. I really enjoyed this opportunity.

View attachment 19324
great report, I'm in road trip mode as well. only problem I had was Sheetz/EE in PA was shut down but not noted on EE website. ugh.

Oops... yes, March, not April :) I'm not driving a Delorean.

A few other things I forgot to note:
  • This trip made me realize, if I arrive at a charging stop above a certain SoC (which is not more than 35%, but I haven't determined the exact number), there's no point to me using a 350kW charger. With nobody there, it didn't matter, but if there were other vehicles, it would have been courteous of me to use a 150kW charger.
  • The nav tells me what SoC to charge up to when I'm approaching, but if I'm already there and have started charging, does it still do that?
  • Driving on I-40E was a game of dodging potholes. I saw a few tow trucks picking up cars that hadn't played that game well, and one abandoned U-Hault that met a similar fate.
  • In Show Low, the nav had me turn left one street later than what would have made the most sense in order to get to the charger.
  • After leaving Show Low, I didn't realize until I was approaching AZ-260 that the nav wanted me to take that route, instead of continuing on AZ-60. Huh??? And unlike other occasions on the way up where I was given a choice of routes before I click Go, I couldn't seem to find that option at this point-- so I turned the nav off. I knew the way home from there.

Oops... yes, March, not April :) I'm not driving a Delorean.

A few other things I forgot to note:
  • This trip made me realize, if I arrive at a charging stop above a certain SoC (which is not more than 35%, but I haven't determined the exact number), there's no point to me using a 350kW charger.
It depends on the version of car - Touring or Pure around 38%, Dream around 47%, Grand Touring likely around 45%.

After leaving Show Low, I didn't realize until I was approaching AZ-260 that the nav wanted me to take that route, instead of continuing on AZ-60. Huh???
I think the 260 route is faster so the nav was guiding for a faster route. Of course the 60 is the more interesting and more fun drive. That is the way that I would have gone.

Back