No glitch - Hilton Head Island to Boston - 1000+ miles roadtrip

aardee

Cars
Lucid,BMW X5 X-Drive 50e
Just completed a wonderful 1000+ miles roadtrip from HHI, SC - (NC-VA-DC-MD-PA-NJ-NY-CT) - Boston, MA in our black Lucid Air Pure with 19" wheels.

First quick observations about the range:
  1. On 100% SOC, I have learnt to expect about 335-345 miles in perfect conditions.
  2. Temperature below 50F impacts efficiency.
  3. Wind and rain impacts the efficiency.
Left HHI with 100% SOC.
  1. Our first stop was Walmart in Lumberton, NC about 240 miles away. It was a cloudy day with little headwind. Our efficiency was about 3.2KwH - lower that what I was expecting. We were doing 75mph mostly on highway. We reached Lumberton with about 30% SOC. EA 350 Charger was available and provided a decent start 175kW. We found Panera nearby, so decided to charge to about 95%. Took us about 50 minutes.
  2. Our next stop was in Emporia, VA about 175miles away. We reached there with 43% SOC. We got a 150kW charger - We started with 145kW and added 186 miles (86%) in 30 minutes. We found a starbucks just across the walmart plaza.
  3. Our next, overnight halt was in Maryland about 200 miles away. We made it there with 25% SOC.
That was 600miles with just 2 charging stops. Both EA chargers worked without any issues. No complaints there.
  1. We left Maryland with 100% SOC - to get to Boston about 475 miles away. I planned just 1 charging stop in Lener Denville Square on Rt. 80 in NJ - about 260 miles away. We managed to get there with about 16% SOC or 65miles to spare. Temperature was around 40F. The efficiency was around 3.3/3.4 resulting into little less range than expected. We drove on Rt 15, Rt. 78 and Rt. 278 which has hills along the way - that may have impacted the efficiency as well.
    This place has four 150kW charger. We had to wait for 5 minutes to get the charger but when it opened up, it worked as expected - starting at 145kW. Starbucks around the corner provided the needed coffee break.
    We added 305 miles in 50 minutes (charged to 88%)
  2. Our destination was another 230 miles from this location. We reached home with 75 miles to spare.
Overall - what a pleasure it was to take Lucid on a long road trip. I have heard horror stories about EA chargers. We certainly found things worked out well for us.

It certainly took a little bit of planning - with the ICE, you can just drive. With the EV, I did spent sometime before hand to ensure that I was pushing limits without getting stranded.

Looking forward to our next trip.

Nice to hear, thank you for posting!

This is great. If only all EA trips could be like this!
I agree. I have heard horror stories. I am just hoping this is a sign that the EA infrastructure is improving. Fingers crossed.

I agree. I have heard horror stories. I am just hoping this is a sign that the EA infrastructure is improving. Fingers crossed.
I've heard that on average, EA is improving, slowly. YMMV.

The Internet tends to bias to the negative. I’m sure there are many happy EA stories… I’ve had many and don’t post them.

Just completed a wonderful 1000+ miles roadtrip from HHI, SC - (NC-VA-DC-MD-PA-NJ-NY-CT) - Boston, MA in our black Lucid Air Pure with 19" wheels.

First quick observations about the range:
  1. On 100% SOC, I have learnt to expect about 335-345 miles in perfect conditions.
  2. Temperature below 50F impacts efficiency.
  3. Wind and rain impacts the efficiency.
Left HHI with 100% SOC.
  1. Our first stop was Walmart in Lumberton, NC about 240 miles away. It was a cloudy day with little headwind. Our efficiency was about 3.2KwH - lower that what I was expecting. We were doing 75mph mostly on highway. We reached Lumberton with about 30% SOC. EA 350 Charger was available and provided a decent start 175kW. We found Panera nearby, so decided to charge to about 95%. Took us about 50 minutes.
  2. Our next stop was in Emporia, VA about 175miles away. We reached there with 43% SOC. We got a 150kW charger - We started with 145kW and added 186 miles (86%) in 30 minutes. We found a starbucks just across the walmart plaza.
  3. Our next, overnight halt was in Maryland about 200 miles away. We made it there with 25% SOC.
That was 600miles with just 2 charging stops. Both EA chargers worked without any issues. No complaints there.
  1. We left Maryland with 100% SOC - to get to Boston about 475 miles away. I planned just 1 charging stop in Lener Denville Square on Rt. 80 in NJ - about 260 miles away. We managed to get there with about 16% SOC or 65miles to spare. Temperature was around 40F. The efficiency was around 3.3/3.4 resulting into little less range than expected. We drove on Rt 15, Rt. 78 and Rt. 278 which has hills along the way - that may have impacted the efficiency as well.
    This place has four 150kW charger. We had to wait for 5 minutes to get the charger but when it opened up, it worked as expected - starting at 145kW. Starbucks around the corner provided the needed coffee break.
    We added 305 miles in 50 minutes (charged to 88%)
  2. Our destination was another 230 miles from this location. We reached home with 75 miles to spare.
Overall - what a pleasure it was to take Lucid on a long road trip. I have heard horror stories about EA chargers. We certainly found things worked out well for us.

It certainly took a little bit of planning - with the ICE, you can just drive. With the EV, I did spent sometime before hand to ensure that I was pushing limits without getting stranded.

Looking forward to our next trip.
Try 70mph and you might see 3.7miles per kWh and you spend less time at the charging station. The time for door to door may well be the same.

EA stations were more reliable outside CA on my 8000 mile round trip from CA to Montreal Canada. at 70mph in hot weather 95 to 115F Air Pure AWD averaged 4miles per kWh with AC 75F and fan speed 7. In cold weather 37 to 55F it averaged 3.5miles per kWh at the same 70mph heat 68F Auto.

All the EA stations at Walmart Fremont Osgood were working yesterday as expected. 350kW but of course at 37% SoC they delivered 100 to 130kW. I am not complaining if that is consistent.

All the EA stations at Walmart Fremont Osgood were working yesterday as expected. 350kW but of course at 37% SoC they delivered 100 to 130kW. I am not complaining if that is consistent.
I have seen close to 150 between 30 to 55 SOC. Having car pre-conditioned helps as well.

EA stations were more reliable outside CA on my 8000 mile round trip from CA to Montreal Canada. at 70mph in hot weather 95 to 115F Air Pure AWD averaged 4miles per kWh with AC 75F and fan speed 7. In cold weather 37 to 55F it averaged 3.5miles per kWh at the same 70mph heat 68F Auto.
Yeah, with cold weather here in North East, I am seeing 3.4 to 3.7 KwH consistently these days.

The Internet tends to bias to the negative. I’m sure there are many happy EA stories… I’ve had many and don’t post them.
Agree. I have nothing to complaint so far.

Aardee, I'm in Bluffton. Are you local? Am a potential customer but concerned about service here in the low country. No service centers near here!

Back