Highway Assist Lane Centering

Why exactly are you engaging in this thread then? Actually seems like you're the one lecturing if you're not open to discussion. There are others that are making valuable comments, and then you and hydbob come in here saying "you guys are dumb, my old 96 corolla activates cruise control the same way, why should lucid change it". This is a forum, these threads are separated for a reason. If you don't find the discussion valuable, then why are you even commenting here? I don't see anyone else getting frustrated other than you mods.
I'm saying the status quo is what people are used to. You are saying that is wrong and confusing and your way is better. It's not either, it's just the way it is. Also, your suggestion of +5/+10 doesn't make any sense either. I can't think of any manufacturer that uses a +5 as an offset with 1 button press, even Tesla allowed incremental adjustments of +/- 1mph.

Why exactly are you engaging in this thread then? Actually seems like you're the one lecturing if you're not open to discussion. There are others that are making valuable comments, and then you and hydbob come in here saying "you guys are dumb, my old 96 corolla activates cruise control the same way, why should lucid change it". This is a forum, these threads are separated for a reason. If you don't find the discussion valuable, then why are you even commenting here? I don't see anyone else getting frustrated other than you mods.
I'd disagree with that, because the first paragraph of Joes response says this:
There are real differences between cars when it comes to this stuff, and Lucid made some different choices. You seem to think they made the wrong choices. The rest of us just see them as different choices.
He never said "why should lucid change it," he just acknowledged that Lucid made a choice and that's up to them.

Now Bob was just responding to YOUR opinion with his own opinion, in my opinion(damn it thats a tongue twister). The last sentence though I agree was somewhat wrong;
Seriously, what is going on in this thread is an old man shouting at a cloud for existing in his view.

Opinions are valid. So are debates. And I didn't find a major problem with what anybody said in this thread!

I can't think of any manufacturer that uses a +5 as an offset with 1 button press, even Tesla allowed incremental adjustments of +/- 1mph.

Nope. In a Tesla, you set your cruise speed setting to speed limit with a +5/+10 or percentage based offset from the settings. Then anytime you pull the AP stalk, it turns on autopilot and automatically sets the speed to the current speed limit + your offset setting with one click.

oh ok right yea goes to show how little i use it lol, but yea it's whatever speed you're traveling at, but if the speed limit changes it will suggest you to change to that new speed limit. Which is ALSO completely pointless. I don't know who actually drives the speed limit on freeways
That is an option you can turn off in the settings.

Also, lots of people drive the speed limit on freeways. Not me, but lots of people. The reason it makes the suggestion is in case the speed limit has changed significantly. You can also ignore the suggestion, or turn it off, as above.

But Lucid really has to fix the way adaptive cruise sets its initial speed limit, which as @momo3605 nicely points out, requires a series of up motions (or holding it in the up position for a while) and that is truly inelegant. Not sure what the rationale is?
This is precisely the way it works in every single other vehicle except Tesla. Push to activate, push up once to set speed to current speed, and adjust with a rocker switch if you want to. Two button taps if you’re already at speed, which is when you should be turning it on, and the same as every other car.

it's not two button presses. It's two button presses, then pushing up a million times to get to an appropriate cruising speed.
You should not be turning it on before you’re already on the highway and at speed. It is meant to keep you at speed, not get you on the highway in the first place.

How is that more elegant than having it automatically going to +5/+10 speed limit offset and never having to think about it? Many times you merge on the freeway and there may be traffic, but over a longer distance your speed may increase. You can't speed up to 70/75 safely to turn on ACC/HA in these cases.
Because you do have to think about it, as speed limit recognition is inaccurate, even on a Tesla. I have used it - it worked okay, but was imperfect and I often had to adjust it.

In your scenario, yes, you can turn it on at current speed and then simply hold the rocker wheel up until you are at the speed you want. This is not the most common scenario, and UX shouldn’t be designed to the exception, but the rule.

Nope. In a Tesla, you set your cruise speed setting to speed limit with a +5/+10 or percentage based offset from the settings. Then anytime you pull the AP stalk, it turns on autopilot and automatically sets the speed to the current speed limit + your offset setting with one click.
That is only true for Tesla, and as above, speed limit recognition is imperfect.

A request: let’s please keep this thread civil, for everyone involved.

The crux of the disagreement is that you like Tesla’s UX for setting a speed for cruise control better than the “classic.” Many of us, myself included, prefer the “classic” UX, as it is the same as every car except Tesla, and it is muscle memory.

I agree with you that the knobs kinda suck, but I grip it with two fingers (since it’s got a nice texture) and just roll it that way - zero issues, and it only took a few hours to get used to.

It’s okay to disagree - it’s not okay to imply that your idea of how the UX should work is the *obviously better* idea, just because it’s what you like.

In general, let’s try to approach these discussion with curiosity and interest first, not trying to “be right.” That goes for all. Ask more genuinely curious questions.

For example, a good question could have been “I wonder why Lucid decided to go with the classic approach, rather than the Tesla approach - anyone else here like the Tesla approach? Or do people prefer the classic approach? Are there pros/cons I should consider?”

That would have gone much much better than “ugh lucid sucks and I can’t believe they didn’t just do what Tesla does” (I’m paraphrasing, and exaggerating a bit for effect, but you get the idea).

For the record, I would be fine with adding a “speed limit offset” option, but I do not want it to be the default.

We’re all on the same side here - we all just want people to be happy, with their cars and with their lives. :) Let’s keep that in mind.

Thanks all

For the record, I would be fine with adding a “speed limit offset” option, but I do not want it to be the default.
I think we have finally reached clarity. This option, proposed by @borski, who prefers “classic” UX, would 100% satisfy me. I could set the option once and have the “Tesla” behavior that I prefer become my default.

I think we have finally reached clarity. This option, proposed by @borski, who prefers “classic” UX, would 100% satisfy me. I could set the option once and have the “Tesla” behavior that I prefer become my default.
This thread is precisely why it is so very important to take a reasonably long test drive and try out the features that matter to you most. To purchase the car and then later complain about it is backwards.

A request: let’s please keep this thread civil, for everyone involved.

Great! Thank you for helping to call out this kind of unhelpful unkind commentary!

I'd suggest taking up a musical instrument, or playing some video games, or something. Anything to help your fine motor skills.

Seriously, what is going on in this thread is an old man shouting at a cloud for existing in his view.
-----
You should not be turning it on before you’re already on the highway and at speed. It is meant to keep you at speed, not get you on the highway in the first place.
I don't see why not? Like I mentioned, when you merge on a freeway with traffic, you can't go up to 70mph and turn it on. I personally found that the implemenation of turning it on and automatically getting set to 70 is easier for me. Rivian actually did a half step where it will auto set to the speed limit or your speed whichever is higher but no offset. It's a nice medium. If you're in traffic, it will at least set to 65mph. So you may not have to mess with the speed for a while.

The crux of the disagreement is that you like Tesla’s UX for setting a speed for cruise control better than the “classic.” Many of us, myself included, prefer the “classic” UX, as it is the same as every car except Tesla, and it is muscle memory.

It’s okay to disagree - it’s not okay to imply that your idea of how the UX should work is the *obviously better* idea, just because it’s what you like.
I never implied anyone should agree with my opinion. But it is my OPINION that there are a lot of things that are "classic" that we've moved past. In the age of backup cameras, and proximity unlock and keyless start, we expect these features to be there and work. Not many people will say "pulling out a key and clicking unlock, and then putting a key in an ignition hole and cranking just hits different". (extreme example) but the point i was trying to make is that, some implementations out there have automated things that we've had to mess with manually before.

I'd actually really like to see some statistics about Lucid owners, percentage coming from tesla vs those coming from legacy automakers. Have you seen any stats like that?

And to be fair, I don't think it's a default in Teslas either. You can turn off speed limit offset if you choose, and most of the people i know with teslas, use it cuz it's a nice feature.

Great! Thank you for helping to call out this kind of unhelpful unkind commentary!

-----

I don't see why not? Like I mentioned, when you merge on a freeway with traffic, you can't go up to 70mph and turn it on. I personally found that the implemenation of turning it on and automatically getting set to 70 is easier for me.

I never implied anyone should agree with my opinion. But it is my OPINION that there are a lot of things that are "classic" that we've moved past. In the age of backup cameras, and proximity unlock and keyless start, we expect these features to be there and work. Not many people will say "pulling out a key and clicking unlock, and then putting a key in an ignition hole and cranking just hits different". (extreme example) but the point i was trying to make is that, some implementations out there have automated things that we've had to mess with manually before.

I'd actually really like to see some statistics about Lucid owners, percentage coming from tesla vs those coming from legacy automakers. Have you seen any stats like that?

And to be fair, I don't think it's a default in Teslas either. You can turn off speed limit offset if you choose, and most of the people i know with teslas, use it cuz it's a nice feature.
You seem to really enjoy Tesla’s interface. Serious question: why not stick with them?

You seem to really enjoy Tesla’s interface. Serious question: why not stick with them?
Irrelevant to this thread, but since Mod is asking, i'll answer :)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure i've answered this in other threads over the past few months. But while I do think Teslas software is miles ahead of Lucids, I sold my Model 3 and got a Lucid because:

1. I needed more rear space and legroom than a Model 3 or a Model S supported. Model Y would have check the practicality box
2. I wanted something dynamically fun to drive from a handling and power perspective, Model Y handles like utter crap, and outside the S, they have no power above 60mph.
3. I didn't want to take any risk with unknown depreciation since EVs are heavily tanking across the board (18 month lease with a high residual from Lucid checked that box). Tesla leases are horrible
4. The Lucid looks great and unique out on the road, and the interior is much more convincing of a 100k car than a model S interior. (You can also see my Lucid vs Model S video on the car comparison subthread)

I'm not one to fanboy over any particular car. Every car has it's strengths and weaknesses. I've listed multiple weaknesses of Teslas in my mind right here^. With my current needs, the Lucid's combination of practicality and performance won.

Careful. While their posts were inappropriate and unkind (and we’ve discussed it), you were not innocent in that exchange or in previous ones. The reason their reactions were strong (and unkind) has to do with your tone on other threads, so it’s not like you’re absolved of fault.

As a suggestion: this isn’t a competition. Stop thinking of discussions here as something you’re trying to “win” and instead, again, approach them with curiosity and genuine interest.

You may not be intending to come off that way, but that is how it has come off. We can put all that behind us, and we’d all like to, but that requires admitting there is fault as well.

I don't see why not? Like I mentioned, when you merge on a freeway with traffic, you can't go up to 70mph and turn it on. I personally found that the implemenation of turning it on and automatically getting set to 70 is easier for me. Rivian actually did a half step where it will auto set to the speed limit or your speed whichever is higher but no offset. It's a nice medium. If you're in traffic, it will at least set to 65mph. So you may not have to mess with the speed for a while.
Fair point - what I meant was that in this present implementation, aka what I call the “classic” UX, that is the way it is intended to be used. I did not mean to imply it was “right” or “the only way” or even necessarily “better.”

But in all cases, the features of a product somewhat define how you use it - in this case, you either conform to the “classic” UX and adjust how you use it, or you bang your head against a wall wishing you had Tesla’s UX.

I’m not saying it’s not worth discussing or wishing for, or that it isn’t worth providing the feedback to Lucid - but we aren’t Lucid, and even if everyone here agreed with you (as I’m sure many do!) we cannot fix it.

The reason this blew up, I think, is because of a perceived “I am right, and you are wrong” attitude - nobody in that exchange was innocent, including you. That’s important to admit.

I understood your point, and it was a valid point, with the exception of the fact that the “speed limit” UX is not widespread by any means, and is not the “norm,” unlike backup cameras. That’s what separates them in this discussion - backup cameras are everywhere. The speed limit UX is not.

But whether you intended to imply “I’m right and you’re wrong”, that is how the comments come off - it would be worth re-reading your posts before posting to ensure they have a kind approach, and not solely an argumentative one.

And, for the record, we are all guilty of this at times; myself included. Nobody is perfect.

I haven’t seen these, but based on my interactions with owners, people coming from Tesla are a minority; I just don’t know how big of one. The majority seem to be coming from other luxury vehicles or people for whom this is their first EV, as it’s the first one that matches the “luxury” vehicles they’re used to. Tesla didn’t meet that metric.

It was on by default in my rentals, but I don’t know if someone else turned that on.

-----

I apologize for my comment. I could have worded it a different way that would have gotten my point across without being combative.

I apologize for my comment. I could have worded it a different way that would have gotten my point across without being combative.
I love the moderators on this site. I started here ... did not even read the posts that precipitated this reply.

Back