Highway Assist Lane Centering

Earlier today while driving through a construction zone where they had essentially created a bypass on a highway, the HA did a piss poor job of staying away from the temporary concrete barriers that created the bypass. The temporary lanes were clear and freshly painted bright yellow...It took me by surprise...so please be careful through construction zones...!

Earlier today while driving through a construction zone where they had essentially created a bypass on a highway, the HA did a piss poor job of staying away from the temporary concrete barriers that created the bypass. The temporary lanes were clear and freshly painted bright yellow...It took me by surprise...so please be careful through construction zones...!
I think it helps to think of the name "Highway Assist" as literally assistance at highway speeds. It's advanced cruise control. It is not at all designed to handle construction scenarios.

It does surprisingly well in slow moving traffic, considering that's not really what it was designed to do, either. But any sort of road hazards, cones, temporary lane changes, etc. you are best off just driving manually.

Lane centering needs to be more robust as the current iteration is over-zealous in staying in the center of the lane.

For me personally, it's a hit or a miss -- if there are a decent number of other cars on the road, I won't have it on since it tends to stay closer to other cars compared to the way I drive. I firmly believe the safest way to drive is away from other cars, so any extra little distance I can add gives me a few more moments of reaction time.

When driving on 2-lane highways (in the US), I prefer to stay closer to the left-side of the lane in order to give a slightly bigger buffer between me and other cars. When driving in the middle lane(s) of a 3+ lane highway, I typically prefer to stay as close to the center as possible, except when passing cars. Anytime I am passing a truck/large vehicle, I tend to stay closer to the side of the lane that is furthest away.

A couple of options as a jumping off point to explore:
1) (Most simple) Add a configurable area of tolerance (10%, 15%, 20%) where deviation from the center of the lane does not trigger lane centering until that threshold is crossed.
2) (More advanced) #1 but with lane-awareness where it's preferred to stay closer to left of middle than right of middle when in the left most lane, vice versa for the right most lane.
3) (Advanced) All the above but also with awareness of other cars with preference to the side furthest away from cars when passing.

Curious what other people think about the idea
I agree with your thoughts. It's really pathetic that we even have to have this conversation. Lucid needs to act like a luxury car company and provide luxury features that actually work. What we have now is terrifying and dangerous. LUCID, PLEASE FIX THIS NOW!

I agree with your thoughts. It's really pathetic that we even have to have this conversation. Lucid needs to act like a luxury car company and provide luxury features that actually work. What we have now is terrifying and dangerous. LUCID, PLEASE FIX THIS NOW!
Please keep mind that no vehicle has achieved level 3 autonomy. Mercedes may claimed they have done it. But yet to be proven in real world. Even Tesla autopilot system doesn't recognize construction zone. It is designed for roads with lane marking. Ultimately, We are still responsible for our own actions.

Judging by your posts, it seems that this is an extremely important feature for you, and if that’s the case, I would recommend you purchase a vehicle that is a more advanced system. The Lucid system may become more advanced in the future but currently does not have some of the features of other manufacturers. Complaining about it on the forum is not going to change that. They will release it when they feel it is ready, safe, and appropriate.

Judging by your posts, it seems that this is an extremely important feature for you, and if that’s the case, I would recommend you purchase a vehicle that is a more advanced system. The Lucid system may become more advanced in the future but currently does not have some of the features of other manufacturers. Complaining about it on the forum is not going to change that. They will release it when they feel it is ready, safe, and appropriate.
Also, what is "terrifying and dangerous"? I thought 2.1.42 fixed ping ponging?

The current implementation, in 2.1.42, is neither terrifying nor dangerous. Have you used it?

Either way, I’m not certain you’ll be happy until after level 3 (if at all), which Tesla also doesn’t have. I find autopilot quite a bit more terrifying and dangerous, and FSD about 10x more so.

• Hmm
Reactions: DBV
The current implementation, in 2.1.42, is neither terrifying nor dangerous. Have you used it?

Either way, I’m not certain you’ll be happy until after level 3 (if at all), which Tesla also doesn’t have. I find autopilot quite a bit more terrifying and dangerous, and FSD about 10x more so.
Most of the fun of owning this car is driving the car. Self driving shmelf driving. Never enjoyed the Tesla trying to kill me.

I use FSD all the time on the freeway and it does a great job. I never use it anywhere else, so maybe that is what you mean. Nothing terrifying or dangerous about it, at least in my experience. When I rented a Lucid Grant Touring a couple weeks ago, it was really bad, but sounds like the software update fixed it, which is awesome! 🙂

Yeah I meant as it relates to level 3 driving, and as it drives in cities. FSD isn’t good enough yet to not require you to pay attention, that’s all I’m saying — on the highway. In a city, it’s downright terrifying.

And yeah HA went from “pretty good” to “very very awful” to “spectacular” in the last 5-6 updates lol. But it’s presently spectacular. It all related to a new feature they added for manual lane biasing, but it was too sensitive. They fixed that, plus they made it a bit more aggressive at taking curves and it’s pretty flawless now.

Yes complaining may not do anything to get the features we were promised and paid for, but at least it may get the attention of Lucid and point them in the direction of fixing it sooner rather than later. Perhaps reprioritizing over such important things like turning off the signal light...

Yes complaining may not do anything to get the features we were promised and paid for, but at least it may get the attention of Lucid and point them in the direction of fixing it sooner rather than later. Perhaps reprioritizing over such important things like turning off the signal light...
Everyone thinks their pet feature is the most important.

Everyone thinks their pet feature is the most important.
I want paint ball guns mounted on a swivel, and a mirror on the rear sunscreen for the high-beamers behind me.

In my perfect world if you see a vehicle covered in paint ball stains you've spotted a driver nobody likes.

What I would like to see (I'm old with failing eyesight) is: car is moving = lights are on why do so many turn off the auto lights ?

Some people, like myself, don’t use most automated drive features not because they don’t work, but rather because we enjoy driving…ourselves. I used them briefly on my MS only to see what it was all about, but stopped when it tried to kill me a bit too often.

I don't use it either, not because I don't want it, but because it doesn't work. EVEN YOU might use it if it worked. Thanks for making my point!
I think you're wading into dangerous territory. Everyone has their own preferences. You clearly care a lot about ADAS features. Others don't care about them as much. We get it. Move on.

Back