Highway assist pulling to right when lane widens

ellidc

Cars
Grand touring
A handful of times highway assist will lurch the car to the right. These seems to happen when doing a highway merge or when going past an on ramp. Seems to be related to right side road marking stripe disappearing and then new edge getting picked up by sensors farther to the right than expected. This happens even when car is staying correctly in lane and there is a left side stripe or dashed line.

Doesnt seem to happen every time but has happened 4-6 times in over 10,000 miles of highway driving. Only "safety" category issue ive ever had.

A handful of times highway assist will lurch the car to the right. These seems to happen when doing a highway merge or when going past an on ramp. Seems to be related to right side road marking stripe disappearing and then new edge getting picked up by sensors farther to the right than expected. This happens even when car is staying correctly in lane and there is a left side stripe or dashed line.

Doesnt seem to happen every time but has happened 4-6 times in over 10,000 miles of highway driving. Only "safety" category issue ive ever had.
Yes, it does that.

All newer cars with active ADAS systems do this.
Teslas Autopilot doesn't do this anymore (used to until maybe 2 years ago). Rivian's doesn't do it either. It's the sign of an immature ADAS system, it needs to be trained to handle these situations.

Ok. Seems like a dangerous bug is the reason I posted. Took a couple times of wheel lurching out of my hands to identify correlation.
Its an incorrect and dangerous "assist" to a predictable road configuration. In the I'll take comfort in not being alone.

Ok. Seems like a dangerous bug is the reason I posted. Took a couple times of wheel lurching out of my hands to identify correlation.
Its an incorrect and dangerous "assist" to a predictable road configuration. In the I'll take comfort in not being alone.
Until it's addressed, just don't use highway assist in the far right lane where you have a merge. I agree it's dangerous, but you can avoid it if you stay in a middle or left lane.

Here's the thing with all ADAS systems: They are dangerous. Recent research is suggesting no matter how much you know in your head the system can't be trusted, the human brain just isn't very good at concentrating on someone else doing a task for long periods. Since you have to watch over these systems for mistakes, and our brains aren't very good at catching others making mistakes over extended periods, driving with any sort of "intelligent" driving assist is going to be inherently more dangerous than driving yourself. At least until these systems are pretty much perfected. Which will be decades from now.

That's fine so long as you are aware of the risks and can live with them. But don't fool yourself into thinking any ADAS makes you "safer."

Here's the thing with all ADAS systems: They are dangerous. Recent research is suggesting no matter how much you know in your head the system can't be trusted, the human brain just isn't very good at concentrating on someone else doing a task for long periods. Since you have to watch over these systems for mistakes, and our brains aren't very good at catching others making mistakes over extended periods, driving with any sort of "intelligent" driving assist is going to be inherently more dangerous than driving yourself. At least until these systems are pretty much perfected. Which will be decades from now.

That's fine so long as you are aware of the risks and can live with them. But don't fool yourself into thinking any ADAS makes you "safer."
I think ADAS DOES make you safer. Tesla has published metrics on autopilot safety and found that cars with autopilot engaged were in less accidents/mile than cars without ADAS Tesla Vehicle Safety Report | Tesla (and I don't just mean Tesla)

This of course assumes that you're using ADAS AND attentive. Using ADAS and closing your eyes is obviously dangerous, but if the car is providing some level of safety control, and you're providing a second layer of security, there is no way that using ADAS can make you less safe.

I think ADAS DOES make you safer. Tesla has published metrics on autopilot safety and found that cars with autopilot engaged were in less accidents/mile than cars without ADAS Tesla Vehicle Safety Report | Tesla (and I don't just mean Tesla)

This of course assumes that you're using ADAS AND attentive. Using ADAS and closing your eyes is obviously dangerous, but if the car is providing some level of safety control, and you're providing a second layer of security, there is no way that using ADAS can make you less safe.
Yes. A report from Tesla on ADAS. The very definition of unbiased.

Okay I'm being facetious. But Tesla has been caught disengaging Autopilot seconds before a crash, and then claiming Autopilot wasn’t engaged at the time of the accident. They have a long history of manipulating this data to the point where anything coming from them is the opposite of trustworthy. We can't have a serious discussion if Tesla is our source of "fact."

Meanwhile, there are lots of studies demonstrating that humans in general are terrible at watching others perform a task and catching their errors. We simply can't concentrate passively like that for long periods of time. Our minds wander.

Maybe that's why many studies have also demonstrated that drivers who are behind the wheel of a car in any sort of "driver assist" mode are much more likely to be engaging in secondary tasks, such as texting, checking their phones, etc. Which means they will not react in time when the ADAS system screws up. And they all screw up.

Like I said, it's fine to use these systems. I find it all fascinating myself. But I don't kid myself into thinking any of it is making me safer vs driving myself.

Teslas Autopilot doesn't do this anymore (used to until maybe 2 years ago). Rivian's doesn't do it either. It's the sign of an immature ADAS system, it needs to be trained to handle these situations.
I rented a Model 3 and tried autopilot about 8 months ago. It pulled into exits very aggressively. Like startling snap of the wheel aggressive. Meanwhile my Air occasionally leans into an exit lane a little bit, unless I’m holding the wheel firmly (as I do when passing anything that isn’t straight road with HA) in which case it doesn’t do anything. Same roads.

In general, it is a good idea to look for studies that are not *by* the manufacturer and/or *funded* by the manufacturer. This applies to not just this conversation, but pharmaceuticals, and anything else.

Independent studies have not shown the same thing Tesla has, and that is generally easier to trust since Tesla is, without question, biased.

In particular, Tesla’s reporting is not statistically sound, and doesn’t account for a myriad of biasing / confounding factors, and doesn’t use the same definitions for “crashes” as the rest of the world. See this analysis for some examples: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradte...y-misleading-story-with-their-crash-data/amp/

Careful making absolute statements like this; they’re appealing because they make the world simpler, but are rarely correct.

For example, the fact that ADAS pulls you into an off-ramp can absolutely make you less safe, because instead of only focusing on steering, you are now having to fight the steering to ensure it stays where you want it to, rather than simply keeping it there as is. If, in that moment, you happen to not notice it pulling (even if you’re paying attention) that would make it more dangerous than simply going straight.

As another example, Tesla still has occasional phantom braking problems - less than before, but they happen (again, I know because it happened to me twice with my M3 rental). When that occurs, that is definitionally making you less safe.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t other safety benefits it provides. But it is certainly not true that there is “no way ADAS can make you less safe.” In general, it would be worth watching for blanket statements like this in these discussions.

What you actually mean is that there is no way ADAS can make you less safe if it is working perfectly all the time. But as we know, it doesn’t work perfectly, and definitely not all the time.

Also, you don’t have to “close your eyes” to be less safe with ADAS - you just have to be human, as it’s human nature to pay less attention to the road when ADAS is on. See this study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457521003791

Anyway, my point isn’t to say that Autopilot sucks. It’s “fine,” in the same way that any other ADAS system is “fine.” They all have different issues.

FSD, on the other hand, is dangerous - though I have not tried v12, which may be better (the jury is obviously out).

I rented a Model 3 and tried autopilot about 8 months ago. It pulled into exits very aggressively. Like startling snap of the wheel aggressive. Meanwhile my Air occasionally leans into an exit lane a little bit, unless I’m holding the wheel firmly (as I do when passing anything that isn’t straight road with HA) in which case it doesn’t do anything. Same roads.
My Model 3 rental did the same, about 6 months ago - it was aggressive about it. The Air is less aggressive about it, and only if I don’t have my hands on the wheel.

But my wife’s Ioniq 5 does not do it, most of the time. Still does about 10-20% of the time though.

They’re all works in progress.

In general, it is a good idea to look for studies that are not *by* the manufacturer and/or *funded* by the manufacturer. This applies to not just this conversation, but pharmaceuticals, and anything else.

Independent studies have not shown the same thing Tesla has, and that is generally easier to trust since Tesla is, without question, biased.

In particular, Tesla’s reporting is not statistically sound, and doesn’t account for a myriad of biasing / confounding factors, and doesn’t use the same definitions for “crashes” as the rest of the world. See this analysis for some examples: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradte...y-misleading-story-with-their-crash-data/amp/

Careful making absolute statements like this; they’re appealing because they make the world simpler, but are rarely correct.

For example, the fact that ADAS pulls you into an off-ramp can absolutely make you less safe, because instead of only focusing on steering, you are now having to fight the steering to ensure it stays where you want it to, rather than simply keeping it there as is. If, in that moment, you happen to not notice it pulling (even if you’re paying attention) that would make it more dangerous than simply going straight.

As another example, Tesla still has occasional phantom braking problems - less than before, but they happen (again, I know because it happened to me twice with my M3 rental). When that occurs, that is definitionally making you less safe.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t other safety benefits it provides. But it is certainly not true that there is “no way ADAS can make you less safe.” In general, it would be worth watching for blanket statements like this in these discussions.

What you actually mean is that there is no way ADAS can make you less safe if it is working perfectly all the time. But as we know, it doesn’t work perfectly, and definitely not all the time.

Also, you don’t have to “close your eyes” to be less safe with ADAS - you just have to be human, as it’s human nature to pay less attention to the road when ADAS is on. See this study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457521003791

Anyway, my point isn’t to say that Autopilot sucks. It’s “fine,” in the same way that any other ADAS system is “fine.” They all have different issues.

FSD, on the other hand, is dangerous - though I have not tried v12, which may be better (the jury is obviously out).

My Model 3 rental did the same, about 6 months ago - it was aggressive about it. The Air is less aggressive about it, and only if I don’t have my hands on the wheel.

But my wife’s Ioniq 5 does not do it, most of the time. Still does about 10-20% of the time though.

They’re all works in progress.
Yes they are. And we can go back and forth forever (well...at least until ADAS systems are perfected and everyone is driving with them) because there are valid arguments on both sides because of the human/machine interaction:

Some people climb mountains; others get nervous at the base of mountains. We are all different. For example, I don't want my car changing lanes for me but I do want the extra safety (for me) of blind spot warnings.

Thank you all for your earnest effort to understand and explain the limits of ADAS. It is prudent to respect its limits as well as its benefits. My only extensive experience with HA is on a 2000-mile Interstate cross country and there were one or two instances of it wandering to the right, which can be an insidious condition after hours on one leg of a trip where my attention may not have been optimal, although I was not texting or otherwise disengaged from hands on the wheel. My biggest concern is not HA keeping me in the center of the lane or the distance behind another vehicle, it is avoiding debris or other small obstacles in the road. Perhaps a camera or sensors can detect a brick, block of wood, or other hard object at 70 mph in sufficient time to avoid the object, but I do not expect any system to keep me from hitting debris and destroying a tire or worse.

This may sound crazy but I had two incidences earlier this week of my car pulling to the right in circumstance like cited above but WITHOUT HA being on or activated. This startled me and I double checked to ensure that neither adaptive cruise or HA had been turned on somehow. I was only a few miles from home and had not tried to activate either one. After the first time I thought I might have imagined it but it happened again about a mile down the road with another off ramp to the right. Again, I checked that no driver assist had somehow been switched on. It hasn’t happened again since. It certainly felt like an HA intervention but I don’t understand how that could be…..

This may sound crazy but I had two incidences earlier this week of my car pulling to the right in circumstance like cited above but WITHOUT HA being on or activated. This startled me and I double checked to ensure that neither adaptive cruise or HA had been turned on somehow. I was only a few miles from home and had not tried to activate either one. After the first time I thought I might have imagined it but it happened again about a mile down the road with another off ramp to the right. Again, I checked that no driver assist had somehow been switched on. It hasn’t happened again since. It certainly felt like an HA intervention but I don’t understand how that could be…..

Lane Departure Protection in intervention mode...turn that off

Back