Highway Assist(?)

Wow, maybe DEs are immune from the ping pong bug.
No, it did initially, but I adjusted how I hold the wheel to not introduce any torque. Works well, now it's just a 2 finger method instead the whole hand.

Same in my Touring, it took a couple days to adjust after the updates, but I have no (more) issues now. In fact it seems slightly better on the curves, though still not great.

No, it did initially, but I adjusted how I hold the wheel to not introduce any torque. Works well, now it's just a 2 finger method instead the whole hand.
I have the same technique, which I believe I leaned from you. I may take a video to show what’s going on. After about 10 minutes, my car will ping pong, even without me holding the wheel and even on straight portions of the freeway.

you hands off, or fingers on and jiggle every 10 seconds and no warnings and no ping ponging!
I just gave it another college try. You are correct, if you go completely hands off, it is much better. My car only mildly ping ponged, but it stayed completely within the lane. Then I went to the two finger method and at the moment when I held it just barely enough to prevent the nag alert, the car started ping ponging. I don’t know if you and a few other people have some super ninja grip skill, but it is safe to assume that most owners don’t have that super power.

Playing arm chair engineer, I think Lucid should just go to eye sight tracking and/or extend the nag alert to the industry standard, which I believe is around 1-minute. Until they fix it one way or another, the short term hack when people really beed to use it is to go completely hands off and torque it every 15 seconds.

I just gave it another college try. You are correct, if you go completely hands off, it is much better. My car only mildly ping ponged, but it stayed completely within the lane. Then I went to the two finger method and at the moment when I held it just barely enough to prevent the nag alert, the car started ping ponging. I don’t know if you and a few other people have some super ninja grip skill, but it is safe to assume that most owners don’t have that super power.

Playing arm chair engineer, I think Lucid should just go to eye sight tracking and/or extend the nag alert to the industry standard, which I believe is around 1-minute. Until they fix it one way or another, the short term hack when people really beed to use it is to go completely hands off and torque it every 15 seconds.
The new HA almost necessitates not holding the the wheel, but if you do the finger method, you don't hold the wheel to prevent the nag, you hold it so you can take over, but have to jiggle every 10 seconds to prevent the nag alert. The slight torque of holding it to prevent the nag will slowly bring you over and then the ping pong will start. Not sure if that explains it properly or not.

The new HA almost necessitates not holding the the wheel, but if you do the finger method, you don't hold the wheel to prevent the nag, you hold it so you can take over, but have to jiggle every 10 seconds to prevent the nag alert. The slight torque of holding it to prevent the nag will slowly bring you over and then the ping pong will start. Not sure if that explains it properly or not.
No, I get it. You basically have your two fingers positioned so that every 10-15 seconds you give it a slight torque. My prior technique to beat the nag alert was to hold it with just enough pressure to prevent the alert. Now we need to have no pressure on the wheel until it’s time to give it a little torque.

Far too many people have turned off eye tracking because they don't like the nags about looking at the road. Personally, I only get these when I'm actually not looking at the road, so I leave them on. But I think the camera is too easily blocked by the steering wheel for a lot of people. I put mine just a smidge lower than I usually would so that the camera can see me clearly at all times.

Another thing to consider is the quality of the camera. I have my doubts the one in the Lucid is all that great. I think there are a lot of folks who assume presence of any camera = ability to do all sorts of CSI-type stuff. Most don't realize that Apple's FaceID, for instance, doesn't rely on the camera much at all, but rather the LiDAR sensor that's sitting next to the camera. It doesn't "recognize" you so much as it pattern matches hashes with algorithms.

Eye tracking is simpler for most cameras, but still not trivial to do reliably.

All this to say I'm not sure the current Air will ever be able to rely on eye tracking alone. I hope it can; I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can pull it off; but I have my doubts.

Moving up the nag to at least 30 seconds would help tremendously in the meantime, though.

And for the love of green beans, let me turn off the stupid biasing altogether. I have zero use for it.

They said the same thing about Chess, Go, Jeopardy, replicating humans via video and audio, translating language in real-time (babelfish), spy and missile drones, etc.

Never underestimate the power of technology to surprise us. :)

Friendly wager? :)
Well not only that. It does in fact exist, called Waymo, and if you live in many of the locations it's available, you can take it for a test. I did in Arizona in the Phoenix area. No driver at all.

Far too many people have turned off eye tracking because they don't like the nags about looking at the road. Personally, I only get these when I'm actually not looking at the road, so I leave them on. But I think the camera is too easily blocked by the steering wheel for a lot of people. I put mine just a smidge lower than I usually would so that the camera can see me clearly at all times.

Another thing to consider is the quality of the camera. I have my doubts the one in the Lucid is all that great. I think there are a lot of folks who assume presence of any camera = ability to do all sorts of CSI-type stuff. Most don't realize that Apple's FaceID, for instance, doesn't rely on the camera much at all, but rather the LiDAR sensor that's sitting next to the camera. It doesn't "recognize" you so much as it pattern matches hashes with algorithms.

Eye tracking is simpler for most cameras, but still not trivial to do reliably.

All this to say I'm not sure the current Air will ever be able to rely on eye tracking alone. I hope it can; I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can pull it off; but I have my doubts.

Moving up the nag to at least 30 seconds would help tremendously in the meantime, though.

And for the love of green beans, let me turn off the stupid biasing altogether. I have zero use for it.
On the flip side, I thought my Lucid camera was straight magic because it would catch me looking away when I would expect it not to. Like looking at my rear view mirror for example. So I feel that it can tell where I am looking with very good accuracy.

I have used from Las Vegas to Phoenix same as @hydbob describes so it is not a DE versus GT issue.
Used it from Vegas to Utah and wayy earlier last year from DC to Utah. And I've seen some errors but it's never done anything dangerous. On tight corners at high speed it'll take me out of lane but I correct it and by now I know its capabilities

No, I get it. You basically have your two fingers positioned so that every 10-15 seconds you give it a slight torque. My prior technique to beat the nag alert was to hold it with just enough pressure to prevent the alert. Now we need to have no pressure on the wheel until it’s time to give it a little torque.
Different companies have different engineers.

GM Supercruise is hands-free. It only alerts when it can't handle some situations, such as un-HD-mapped areas and constructions. Just like Lucid, it has an in-cabin camera to monitor the driver. There is no need to touch the steering wheel at all for Supercruise.

On the other hand, Mercedes is hands-on in L2 (because there's also hands-off in L3), but there's no need to exert any torque. It uses a capacitive sensor on the steering wheel instead of a torque sensor.

What does the car do if a person doesn't react to the warnings for holding the wheel? Is there a series of progressively worse ramifications?

What does the car do if a person doesn't react to the warnings for holding the wheel? Is there a series of progressively worse ramifications?
It will slow down and stop and put on it's blinkers

If you have to jiggle every 10sec you may as well use ACC.

Reactions: DBV
Back