Another close call with Leviton NEMA 14-50

Todd

Verified Owner
Cars
23 Air Touring
First, I smelled it and then I saw the smoke coming out of my NEMA 14-50 outlet. I flipped the circuit breaker, and removed the cover plate, outlet, and plastic junction box. My electrician used Leviton instead of Hubbell or Bryant.
I have a Bryant ordered, and a (different ) electrician coming to install it.
IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0284.jpeg

Tell us more about your setup.

50 amp breaker?
What gauge wires?
Mobile charger? If so, how often do you unplug and replug?
Have a picture of your charger plugged in to show setup?

Leviton isn’t meant for this usage you need a commercial outlet on this. Was this installed by professional electrician by code ?
Need industrial grade
IMG_1474.jpeg

Scary, scary, scary, ..........

Tell us more about your setup.

50 amp breaker?
What gauge wires?
Mobile charger? If so, how often do you unplug and replug?
Have a picture of your charger plugged in to show setup?
50 Amp breaker with 6 gauge wire, I never unplug the charger (which is fully seated into the outlet). The issues are:
1. It is a Leviton outlet, and
2. I found that the red wire where it enters the back of the outlet.
As I mentioned, I am replacing the Leviton with an industrial grade Bryant outlet. I cut back the 6 gauge wires until I got well past the area where the copper was discolored by the heat.

I got lucky because I was taking out some trash, and had to pass through the garage. If I had left the trash for morning, my house would have burned.

Leviton may or may not be the main issue here. One reason excessive Heat occurs is the result of resistance somewhere in the setup. It could be the screw wasn’t torqued down properly on the outlet holding the wires.

I also see drywall screws holding the outlet in the electrical box. Setup/installation does not appear to be to code.

Leviton's commercial 14-50 receptacle specifies 25in-lb screw lug torque. Other brand industrial receptacles spec 75 in-lb.

Tesla 14-50 ultimate guide page. There is a lot of good information here that pertains to any EV home charger installation.

Leviton may or may not be the main issue here. One reason excessive Heat occurs is the result of resistance somewhere in the setup. It could be the screw wasn’t torqued down properly on the outlet holding the wires.

I also see drywall screws holding the outlet in the electrical box. Setup/installation does not appear to be to code.
Yes, I believe that the electrician did not torque the connection properly. This is the main reason for the fire. However, he should have chosen an industrial outlet as well. So, two wrongs that definitely didn’t make a right.

Yes, I believe that the electrician did not torque the connection properly. This is the main reason for the fire. However, he should have chosen an industrial outlet as well. So, two wrongs that definitely didn’t make a right.

Agree.

50 Amp breaker with 6 gauge wire, I never unplug the charger (which is fully seated into the outlet). The issues are:
As I mentioned, I am replacing the Leviton with an industrial grade Bryant outlet. I cut back the 6 gauge wires until I got well past the area where the copper was discolored by the heat.

I got lucky because I was taking out some trash, and had to pass through the garage. If I had left the trash for morning, my house would have burned.
Why not just hardwire? Why risk this again even with the Hubbell outlet? Also, I had a garage fire back in 2018 b/c some solar batteries in my flickering flame lamps leaked. I immediately put a smoke detector in my garage that is linked to my security system and set to immediately dispatch the fire department upon triggering. I sleep well at night knowing its there. Final question, do you have a fire extinguisher in your garage near your outlet?

I do have a fire extinguisher in the garage.

Why do I use the Nema 14-50 instead of hard wire? Portability.
I have had 3 Teslas and 1 Lucid in the last 8 years, and have lived in 3 different homes during this time. Each time I have moved, I simply unplug my charger(s) and plug them into my new 14-50 at the next home.

I have had 3 Teslas and 1 Lucid in the last 8 years, and have lived in 3 different homes during this time. Each time I have moved, I simply unplug my charger(s) and plug them into my new 14-50 at the next home.
It's not that much work to unwire and rewire a plug

Understood but there's a L2 charger that has a NEMA 14-50 plug that comes with the car. Why not just use that one for portability? I wonder if the plugging and unplugging may have contributed to your outlet failure?

Last edited:

My husband is an electrical engineer, just installed wiring today, 6 gauge wire, 50 amp breaker, industrial 75$ outlet from Amazon we bought a Hubbell but there are other commercial rated brands too, can not buy this outlet at a Home Depot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231020_230418_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231020_230418_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 108
My husband is an electrical engineer, just installed wiring today, 6 gauge wire, 50 amp breaker, industrial 75$ outlet from Amazon we bought a Hubbell but there are other commercial rated brands too, can not buy this outlet at a Home Depot.
I'm always curious so I gotta ask, why didn't your hubby hardwire instead?

Boy have I missed a lot. Have been in Madagascar biking and caught Covid on the return 28.5 hours and three days of flights. Hard to believe, but during my shitty recovery, the Lucid forum has not been on my mind.

Will try to do better. 😎

Boy have I missed a lot. Have been in Madagascar biking and caught Covid on the return 28.5 hours and three days of flights. Hard to believe, but during my shitty recovery, the Lucid forum has not been on my mind.

Will try to do better. 😎
Just got latest Covid / Flu shots. Now I have (what I think is) a cold (tested neg. for Cvd). I forgot how miserable it is just to have a common cold. Definitely don't want to have Covid again. Can't imagine that much flying...hope your trip was awesome. Photos?
I'm always curious so I gotta ask, why didn't your hubby hardwire instead?
Yeah...again, cheap insurance. Also, curious if he used a torque screwdriver/ wrench since you did not mention it , or the "three grunt" method used by auto mechanics?

Also, for you pros out there...is this something that needs be checked (re-torquing high-current connections),
like checking the wheel bolt torque after driving ~ 50 mi after a wheel change?

Back