60 amp circuit on NEMA 14-50

The Lucid included cable seems to limit to 32amps. I have a EA home charger plugged into a 14-50 plug that pulls 40 amps.
I recently moved and have not re-installed the EA charger, I’m using the included cable and plugged into a 14-50 outlet. I have zero worries about plugging in and out. I only unplug if I’m going out of town and want to take the included cable as a back up.

There is lots of bullshit and misinformation around charging.

You want to maximize battery life. Stay between 40%-60%.

Real life, it’s easier to stay between 20%-80%.

Going on a road trip don’t be afraid to go to 100%.

When I am at home with no road trip plans I only plug in when I am below 50% and charge to 80%.

Prior to a road trip or on the road I set charge to 100%, but other than over night charging or going into a limited charger area, once charge is over 80% if I’m ready to go, I go.

@DeaneG
Thank you for your advice of fire hazard. I had QMeric come back to replace 50 amp to 60amp for my hardwired Wallbox 😎
Looks good! Time for a new label to commemorate! Enjoy your 48 amp charging - a healthy speed.

As I prepare to begin the life of night time charging at home, I am still confused about the need for a hardwire charge box vs taking power from a 14/50 plug. I have reviewed the posts and understand the charger will allow for a faster charge but if overnight, what is the real need for that? If you leave the Lucid provided cable plugged in, unless traveling, I really cant convince myself a Charge Point or any other charger is important. Sure if you want 2 way power transmission then the Lucid device comes in play, but you can buy a lot of power for $900 for a non-proprietary charger unit. My electrician would like to hard wire to save on mandatory GFI circuit in series (WA code apparently). But that is still less than 900. Any wisdom appreciated.

...My electrician would like to hard wire to save on mandatory GFI circuit in series (WA code apparently). But that is still less than 900. Any wisdom appreciated.
If your local code requires GFCI on a garage outlet, as it should for safety, then you can't plug the mobile cable or other pluggable charging adapter into that outlet. You'll get charging faults. So you must hardwire. It's occasionally nice having higher speed charging anyway, and something like a Chargepoint home flex will be a nicer unit to deal with every day than the mobile cable.

As I prepare to begin the life of night time charging at home, I am still confused about the need for a hardwire charge box vs taking power from a 14/50 plug. I have reviewed the posts and understand the charger will allow for a faster charge but if overnight, what is the real need for that? If you leave the Lucid provided cable plugged in, unless traveling, I really cant convince myself a Charge Point or any other charger is important. Sure if you want 2 way power transmission then the Lucid device comes in play, but you can buy a lot of power for $900 for a non-proprietary charger unit. My electrician would like to hard wire to save on mandatory GFI circuit in series (WA code apparently). But that is still less than 900. Any wisdom appreciated.
You are correct in that the charging cable that comes with the car plus a NEMA 14-50 outlet is just fine. I used this arrangement for several months without issue. Our children have Teslas and do the same.

I installed a ChargePoint home charger hardwired to a 60A breaker and it also works fine but the advantages over the NEMA 14-50 are minor. I just wanted to try it until the bi-directional Lucid charger was available.

You are correct in that the charging cable that comes with the car plus a NEMA 14-50 outlet is just fine...
It'll work fine as long as the 14-50 outlet does not have a GFCI breaker. Many municipalities require a GFCI breaker on all garage outlets, as does the current version of the national electrical code. The supplied charging cable and third-party charging adapters may not function properly if used on a circuit with GFCI.

One doesn’t Need anything else. The Lucid mobile charger in a NEMA 14-50 outlet will work just fine.

Unless one wants to keep the mobile charger in the car at all times, wants a spare, wants ‘slightly‘ faster Level 2 charging, or wants the bi-directional charging, there is no reason that one has to buy another EVSE.

One doesn’t Need anything else. The Lucid mobile charger in a NEMA 14-50 outlet will work just fine.

Unless one wants to keep the mobile charger in the car at all times, wants a spare, wants ‘slightly‘ faster Level 2 charging, or wants the bi-directional charging, there is no reason that one has to buy another EVSE.
To be fair, the Lucid EVSE would be *twice* as fast, but also a smart EVSE let’s you schedule charging for when it is cheapest.

Most of us in California absolutely need a smart EVSE, or for Lucid to implement a charging window function, to take advantage of cheaper off-peak rates.

Most of us in California absolutely need a smart EVSE, or for Lucid to implement a charging window function, to take advantage of cheaper off-peak rates.
In Texas we were told to charge after 11:00PM while outside temperatures were very high. It was easy to set the ChargePoint Home Charger to start at 11:00PM.

In Texas we were told to charge after 11:00PM while outside temperatures were very high. It was easy to set the ChargePoint Home Charger to start at 11:00PM.
There are other EVs such as Polestar2 can configure open and restrict charge time when plugged in.

There are other EVs such as Polestar2 can configure open and restrict charge time when plugged in.
I think nearly every other EV can. The other three EVs I've owned could anyway. But it took Volvo/Polestar nearly a year from first car deliveries to releasing a timed charging functionality by OTA update! So Lucid's delay on this is not unusual.

I love a good DIY project as much as the next guy, but messing around with 60A/240v circuits is way beyond where I draw the line. It was no question in my mind to just hire a professional.

I'd feel like a real idiot if I died trying to save a few hundred bucks on the charger for my 150k car....

Back