60 amp circuit on NEMA 14-50

Orthobonz

Cars
Lucid GT
I am due to receive my GT in 10 days. I already have a 60 amp circuit with NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage. Does it make sense to add a level 2 charger or just use the provided cord from Lucid?

I am due to receive my GT in 10 days. I already have a 60 amp circuit with NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage. Does it make sense to add a level 2 charger or just use the provided cord from Lucid?
Constantly plugging and unplugging can cause problems. If you don't need to unplug it regularly, then it should work. Personally, I would get a unit, plug it in, leave it plugged in, and put the one that came with the car in the car as an emergency unit.

Constantly plugging and unplugging can cause problems. If you don't need to unplug it regularly, then it should work. Personally, I would get a unit, plug it in, leave it plugged in, and put the one that came with the car in the car as an emergency unit.
Do you have a recommendation for a home charging unit?

I bought the ChargePoint Home Flex charger and had it hardwired to a 60-amp breaker. You will get a little more power from hardwiring than plugging it in, the charger knows that it's hardwired.

Code says that a 14-50 can’t be on higher than a 50A breaker. You should fix this, or just hardwire a charging station like Wallbox or Chargepoint or Juicebox or any of the others so you can get the full 48-50A on a 60A breaker.

There are plenty of other threads for comparisons between chargers.

How difficult is it to hardwire the charge point ? I already have a 14-50 outlet and was considering purchasing the Chargepoint and installing it myself.

How difficult is it to hardwire the charge point ? I already have a 14-50 outlet and was considering purchasing the Chargepoint and installing it myself.
I would just plug it in. The extra power from the 60AMP breaker is not significant.

1660345231417.png

1660345248238.png

If you really want to, it's still very easy
Chargepoint gives very specific step by step instructions. Plus turn the breaker off first!

If you really want to, it's still very easy
Chargepoint gives very specific step by step instructions. Plus turn the breaker off first!
Thanks for the reminder. I’ll take a look at the instructions. I’ve swapped out regular outlets and light switches before…

Thanks for the reminder. I’ll take a look at the instructions. I’ve swapped out regular outlets and light switches before…
It's the same deal then, very straightforward.

It's the same deal then, very straightforward.
Yeah it’s really not bad unless you have to run new wire or need a permit (new installs). Then it can get a bit annoying.

Question?! (I’m clueless about electrical matters)

I have a 200 amp breaker box with no more slot open. The electrician took out 4 breakers from top left corner and merged them into 2 breakers with smaller switches to yield 2 slots for my Wallbox hardwire. I see 50 amp x 2 switches, does this mean I am running on 100 amp? I see Wallbox app max amp is 48. I set that setting and getting 11kW/hr.

B6A8FF8C-6C4E-4E28-B2EB-AD9C0048F723.jpeg

You do not add the two breakers. You have one 50 amp. breaker on the “A” phase at 110v and the second 50 amp. breaker on the “B” phase at 110v. The two phases are why it is “alternating” current and not direct current.

I have a 200 amp breaker box with no more slot open. The electrician took out 4 breakers from top left corner and merged them into 2 breakers with smaller switches to yield 2 slots for my Wallbox hardwire. I see 50 amp x 2 switches, does this mean I am running on 100 amp? I see Wallbox app max amp is 48. I set that setting and getting 11kW/hr.

View attachment 4037

View attachment 4037
The important part is what size breaker the Wallbox is on. Is that the 60amp breaker on the right? If so, you’re all set. If it’s a 50-amp, I’d see about swapping the breaker to a 60-amp, assuming the wire and panel can handle the extra 10 amps.

The important part is what size breaker the Wallbox is on. Is that the 60amp breaker on the right? If so, you’re all set. If it’s a 50-amp, I’d see about swapping the breaker to a 60-amp, assuming the wire and panel can handle the extra 10 amps.
The two new breakers added are 50 x 2 slots. Which Wallbox use. The right side 60 x 2 slots Ali’s for my downstair HVAC.

But Wallbox app says max amp is 48, so I should be safe right?

You do not add the two breakers. You have one 50 amp. breaker on the “A” phase at 110v and the second 50 amp. breaker on the “B” phase at 110v. The two phases are why it is “alternating” current and not direct current.
This makes sense. I see cooktop is 30 x 2 slots, space, so cooktop is basically on 30 amp.

The two new breakers added are 50 x 2 slots. Which Wallbox use. The right side 60 x 2 slots Ali’s for my downstair HVAC.

But Wallbox app says max amp is 48, so I should be safe right?
If the wallbox is on a 50 amp circuit, it must be set to charge at 0.8 * 50 amps = 40 amps maximum per code.

If the wallbox is on a 50 amp circuit, it must be set to charge at 0.8 * 50 amps = 40 amps maximum per code.
I just email to QMeruc to update those breakers. Thank you for this info!

I'm not sure how the Wallbox's settings work - on my Chargepoint, the app asks for the size of the circuit breaker. On a 14-50 this would generally be 50 amps. But the Chargepoint app then derates this by the proper 80% factor to set the max charging current at 40 amps.

Back