NEMA 14-50 Outlet vs. Home Charging Station: Which to Choose?

While talking about charging power, say "kW" - rather than kWh (which is total delivered energy over time), or the nonsensical kW/h or kWh per hour or kW per hour

I currently use a NEMA 14-50. It charges 40-45 miles per hour - about 9 to 10 kWh. I have it connected to a 50amps breaker. I do have a home charger on order since July 19 but no updates from Lucid on when I will get it. I am quite happy with 14-50 so far and I will make a call to keep ot sell the home charger once I get it.
I am as well, with a 14-50 plug at my vacation home and hardwired at residence in Denver. Both with ChargePoint EVSE's. They both work flawlessly.

NOTE: I got both for free from the local utilities. As part of getting them, both must be connected to wifi so the utilities can monitor. For one, I promised to charge at least 50% of the time from 9pm to 4 AM. No special rate, but the free EVSE and $50 credit a year. And for the other, the utility has the right and ability to shut off EVSE in case of a several system overload. There has never been one event yet, the utility says it would not be for more than two hours and would only occur from 1pm to 7pm. It pays (pun intended) to check with local utilities.

What if you used a 60A (or 100A) breaker with the corresponding gauge wire to run to a 240V outlet? Little more material cost, labor cost should be the same and you're futureproofed if you decide to do a hardwired charger in the future??!!
Maybe @DeaneG or @Worldwide Beagle could comment on the feasibilty? I kind of wish I did this instead of a regular 14-50 outlet...

What if you used a 60A (or 100A) breaker with the corresponding gauge wire to run to a 240V outlet? Little more material cost, labor cost should be the same and you're futureproofed if you decide to do a hardwired charger in the future??!!
Maybe @DeaneG or @Worldwide Beagle could comment on the feasibilty? I kind of wish I did this instead of a regular 14-50 outlet...
You could but you need to make sure that you have enough at the main connection. I need to upgrade from 200A to add a 100A breaker for example

The 14-50 receptacle must be used with either a 40 amp or 50 amp breaker. Anything over 50 amps would be unsafe and would not meet code. That said, you're free to use a larger wire than is required as long as the breaker and receptacle are rated to carry that gauge, and the conduit is appropriately upsized.

For the additional $500-600 a proper hardwired charging station would cost compared to dangling the mobile charging adapter from a receptacle, for me it's a no-brainer to go hardwired for the added safety, convenience, and possibly increased charging speed. It's a small investment.

Oh, and that 40 amp breaker that is allowed by code on a 14-50 receptacle won't work with the mobile charging adapter, so your only legal and safe choice there would be a 50 amp breaker.

Slightly different take than my brother from a different mother @DeaneG

Basically, that is a good idea for wire but not the breaker.

The breakers protect the wire and receptacle from catching fire. You can't future proof it. The breaker trip amperage must be the lower of the rating for the installed receptacle OR the wire. For a NEMA 14-50, the max breaker is 50 amps. With which you can have a 40 amp constant draw for EVSE's and EV charging. Or 50 amp intermittent draw. No matter how large the wire gauge.

But you could pull an oversized/over rated wire in the run for future proofing. Then, if you wanted to hardwire at a higher amperage in the future, remove the receptacle, hard wire the EVSE and upgrade the breaker to match your new configuration. Two pole breakers are cheap and easy to upgrade. Redoing a new run of larger wire from your panel could cost $1000 plus, maybe less if you have the right size conduit. A new breaker is $20.

In My houses I have wired, I have used upgraded wire size in certain branch circuits. Even unterminated wire runs from panel to the far reaches. Just in case. I don't want to have to break open drywall. Who knows what size induction range the wife may want next.

Oh, and that 40 amp breaker that is allowed by code on a 14-50 receptacle won't work with the mobile charging adapter, so your only legal and safe choice there would be a 50 amp breaker.
50A breaker for nema 14-50

50A breaker for nema 14-50
Oddly, code also allows a 40-amp breaker on a 14-50. But this won't work with Lucid's mobile charging cable, which will try to charge at 40 amps and will likely trip the breaker sooner or later in warmerr temps.

I had an outlet installed instead of hard wiring BUT I did so in case I needed to remove/replace the unit. It is otherwise always plugged in. Plugging in and out repeatedly can cause problems. If you are going to leave the charger plugged in, then the outlet makes sense. But otherwise, I would not recommend doing it.

This is basic info for most of you but I thought I’d throw this out there as a PSA. The choice of outlet installed is the first line of defense for what is allowed to be attached. So keep in mind that whatever outlet is installed, it is “sized’ correctly for the circuit it is installed on (breaker and wire size). Don’t just simply make your outlet fit the mobile charger.

The 14-50 adapter that comes with the mobile charger will let it try to charge at its max speed of about 9kWh. It will try to do that regardless of what circuit the 14-50 outlet is attached to so don’t just install a 14-50 outlet without being sure the circuit can support it. Insufficient wire size WILL heat up significantly during charging possibly without the breaker tripping in time. That’s a big risk since charging at home usually happens during the night when people are sleeping.

Just FYI if you need to de rate the mobile charger (and your circuit supports it), Lucid also sells a 14-30 adapter for the mobile charger which will lower the current draw to charge the car at about 5kWh.

Always try to use an industrial grade outlet … it’s worth it for the peace of mind over the course of time you own your car and use it.

Back