30a circuit to a NEMA 14-50

skywaterbanjo

Verified Owner
Given that this is my first EV (taking delivery on 11/1), I'm learning about charging.

My house that we bought in 2011 has a NEMA 14-30 plug. I had a electrician confirm to me today that it is a 30a circuit. He told me the wiring would not support 50a.

I'm looking at the ChargePoint flex for my home charger. I see the plug on the ChargePoint is 14-50.

Will there be any issues using this adapter?

ADAPTER

Given that this is my first EV (taking delivery on 11/1), I'm learning about charging.

My house that we bought in 2011 has a NEMA 14-30 plug. I had a electrician confirm to me today that it is a 30a circuit. He told me the wiring would not support 50a.

I'm looking at the ChargePoint flex for my home charger. I see the plug on the ChargePoint is 14-50.

ADAPTER
My recommendation, when plugging in a $170k car, don’t rely on a $30 part to keep anything from malfunctioning. As @borski said, chargepoint can be wired up as 24A, you may charge slower, but it’s much much safer for your car, and your house.

My recommendation, when plugging in a $170k car, don’t rely on a $30 part to keep anything from malfunctioning. As @borski said, chargepoint can be wired up as 24A, you may charge slower, but it’s much much safer for your car, and your house.
So just have the CP hardwired - got it.

I was hoping to be able to move the CP between houses.

So just have the CP hardwired - got it.

I was hoping to be able to move the CP between houses.
You can have a proper 14-50 plug installed at the other house and use the lucid included cable perhaps? Orrrr the coming soon lucid charger! Lots to learn I know.

You can have a proper 14-50 plug installed at the other house and use the lucid included cable perhaps? Orrrr the coming soon lucid charger! Lots to learn I know.
Can’t install a 14-50 on a 30amp circuit; wouldn’t be to code.

The ChargePoint flex comes with the plug-end cable that you have to attach to the unit. It is easy to attach. Have the electrician bring and put in a cable that has a NEMA 14-30 plug instead.

The ChargePoint flex comes with the plug-end cable that you have to attach to the unit. It is easy to attach. Have the electrician bring and put in a cable that has a NEMA 14-30 plug instead.
That is great - thank you for telling me. The garage already has a 14-30 in it!

That is great - thank you for telling me. The garage already has a 14-30 in it!
Just make sure you set the ChargePoint to draw only 24 amps. I think it asks for the circuit breaker rating which would be 30 an$ i5 will automatically adjust the cureent

I have a Nema 14-30 outlet that I use for my Model S with the cable that came with the car. Does the cable kit that comes with the Lucid include a 14-30 adapter as well as the 14-50?

I have a Nema 14-30 outlet that I use for my Model S with the cable that came with the car. Does the cable kit that comes with the Lucid include a 14-30 adapter as well as the 14-50?
The Lucid mobile cable does not include the 14-30 adapter. Since there is a reference to the 14-30 in the mobile cable manual, I expect that Lucid is working on it but it is not yet available.

ADAPTER
I have ordered this today from Charge point website. House built sometime back and for now planning to use 120V and public EA charging. I have been told that 14 30 plug is not supported yet by Lucid sales people. Also very new to all this and learning lot from all the posts here.

I have a 30 amp circuit with a 14-30 plug. I tried to use a 14-30 cable adapter plugged into the Lucid 14-50 cable and no joy …..got an error message about using another cable. Any suggestions for a relatively low cost option?

A 30amp circuit can support up to a 24amp device. Your best path is to have an electrician install a proper 14-50.

I have a 30 amp circuit with a 14-30 plug. I tried to use a 14-30 cable adapter plugged into the Lucid 14-50 cable and no joy …..got an error message about using another cable. Any suggestions for a relatively low cost option?
I have been told Lucid does not support this yet but they are in works of supporting it. It would have been much easier for me if they would have supported this since I have a circuit breaker of 40 AMPS free to use on my panel.

A 30amp circuit can support up to a 24amp device. Your best path is to have an electrician install a proper 14-50.
Not a good option for me - my separate garage only has 30amp connection. Would have to do major rewiring from the main house panel

I was told today by Will at Costa Mesa that Lucid actually now has an adapter for their cable with a 10-30 connection. They have ordered one for me from a different site and will ship it to me when they get it. Have to survive on local EA til then….yikes! OBTW - Ive found the charging level from my 30 amp (on my Tesla connections) to be more than adequate for my charging needs - but need the charge scheduling capability added to this car asap.

Back