NEMA 14-50/TT-30 adapter

PompousAss

It seems that some RV parks either have only TT-30 connectors or have a mix where often all of the parking spots with 14-50 plugs are full while TT-30 spots are available.

The rate of charge will be much slower from a 30 amp source, but in a "use TT-30 or don't charge" scenario, do you think an adapter will work with the Lucid? Has anyone tried this?

A look around on a couple of Tesla forums suggests quite a few people are using this setup successfully.

The TT-30 connector is only rated for 125V at 30A. You could use the Lucid NEMA 14-30 plug (240V @30A) and somehow adapt it to the TT-30 by using only one of the phases. I’m not sure if the Lucid would like that, but the current would be ok. I would not use the Lucid NEMA 14-50, because the Lucid will try to draw 50A. Unlike the Tesla, you can’t change the Lucid input current.

Electrical engineer here- agree with @Alex. Be aware that since the TT-30 is 120V, you'll charge at around 24A * 120V or 2.8kW at best.

This was a stupid n00b question. It never occurred to me that there would be widely installed 30 amp single-leg infrastructure for RVs.

This was a stupid n00b question. It never occurred to me that there would be widely installed 30 amp single-leg infrastructure for RVs.
It was a very reasonable question.

Anyone has link for TT-30 adapter to Nema 10-30?

Anyone has link for TT-30 adapter to Nema 10-30?
Since it shouldn't be done in most other circumstances, you'll probably have to build one from a TT-30 cord and a 14-30 cord-mount receptacle. You'd need to buy Lucid's 14-30 mobile charger adapter cord.

Back