Wunderbox + Charger install + Chargers in general

First I heard an estimate for the Wunderbox.... That seems weird?
Yeah, pretty sure he meant EVSE - the wall mounted home charging station. The Wunderbox is onboard the car and obviously already available

First I heard an estimate for the Wunderbox.... That seems weird?
Yeah, that's my bad. I started using the term Wunderbox Bi-Directional Charging and over time I shortened it to Wunderbox....I need to change that. Wunderbox is in the car now and can handle bi-directional once it is available.....Lucid Wall Charger is not yet available (estimated 3Q of 2022) but will be able to handle bi-directional....and the availability of bi-directional is always one quarter away.

Yeah, that's my bad. I started using the term Wunderbox Bi-Directional Charging and over time I shortened it to Wunderbox....I need to change that. Wunderbox is in the car now and can handle bi-directional once it is available.....Lucid Wall Charger is not yet available (estimated 3Q of 2022) but will be able to handle bi-directional....and the availability of bi-directional is always one quarter away.

I really wish they would release more details regarding the portion that goes in or near your circuit panel. Everything so far has been on the charging end. I need to have a second 200 amp panel put in so correct space is critical. Is transfer switch the same width as your typical sub-panel??? Lucid please help.

Here’s some information via Lucid Mobile Charging Manual.

Attachments

• Lucid_Mobile_Charging_Cable_NA_Owners+Manual.pdf
    542.4 KB · Views: 426
Here’s some information via Lucid Mobile Charging Manual.
Think he was referring to the LCHCS and what else you have to install in order to have bidirectional power feed.

You can buy a Charge Point charger on Amazon for about $600 If you have 50 amps to hook it up to it will charge the car 40 miles in one hour.

You can buy a Charge Point charger on Amazon for about $600 If you have 50 amps to hook it up to it will charge the car 40 miles in one hour.
Or it will charge from 20% to 80% in less than 6 hours. The ChargePoint Flex is a great EVSE. We have lived ours.

You can buy a Charge Point charger on Amazon for about $600 If you have 50 amps to hook it up to it will charge the car 40 miles in one hour. If you have less than 50 Amps Amazon has chargers for whatever amperage you have. hooked mine up today.

Think he was referring to the LCHCS and what else you have to install in order to have bidirectional power feed.

It looks like this is confusing too many people. That's why Lucid needs to release something that describes what is going to be needed for bi-directional power near or in your CIRCUIT BREAKER panel.

My circuit panel right now is full, I will not be able to charge my AGT without the addition of another 200a panel.

It looks like this is confusing too many people. That's why Lucid needs to release something that describes what is going to be needed for bi-directional power near or in your CIRCUIT BREAKER panel.
I called Lucid some time back and got an email reply from someone on their charging team:

"[T]here is nothing currently that you can install to support bidirectionality beyond the charging station paired with the Air. As we near release of the bidirectional functionality, we will also provide specifics of additional hardware in the home that will be needed to manage the various loads coming in and out of the home, including to and from the Air."

This is in reference to my now-installed 100A breaker, with wiring to my garage connected to a 50A breaker connected to a 14-50 outlet. The plan eventually is to replace the 50A breaker and outlet with the Lucid charging station.

I called Lucid some time back and got an email reply from someone on their charging team:

"[T]here is nothing currently that you can install to support bidirectionality beyond the charging station paired with the Air. As we near release of the bidirectional functionality, we will also provide specifics of additional hardware in the home that will be needed to manage the various loads coming in and out of the home, including to and from the Air."

This is in reference to my now-installed 100A breaker, with wiring to my garage connected to a 50A breaker connected to a 14-50 outlet. The plan eventually is to replace the 50A breaker and outlet with the Lucid charging station.

Thanks!

Electrician is coming out today for estimate. We'll just have to brainstorm on ways to prep for whatever they eventually release.

Thanks!

Electrician is coming out today for estimate. We'll just have to brainstorm on ways to prep for whatever they eventually release.
My primary panel is running short on space. I am planning to do a sub-panel next from a 240V 100 amp breaker on the primary. The second sub-panel will feed a 60 amp service for a (Emporia 48 amp) Lucid charger for now and a 30 amp breaker for my small emergency Generator and a 15amp 240V for my Emporia power monitoring solution. When they finally release the bidirectional charger and assuming it is not ungodly expensive, I will direct wire it into that secondary panel on a 100 amp breaker.

I am choosing the Emporia brand charger because it is part of an electrical monitor system that can be used to monitor and optimize power usage. I don't have the charger yet, but I have the monitoring in place. The goal with this equipment is to automatically shift the charging power usage to night when the rates are lower as well as during the day when my solar produces more power than I consume. In Texas, we are sort of backwards on solar (Don't ask me what else we are backward on) and we don't get paid for what we put into the grid. Anyway, that charger is one of the better deals on Amazon and elsewhere @ roughly $400 and able to run at 48, or 40 amps depending on the service. If anyone is interested, I will post the links.

Thanks!

Your comment prompted me to reach out to Lucid and request information I can provide my electrician to prepare for the vehicle. I explained I would have solar panels, battery storage in garage, would use Lucid battery to power home only in severe multi-day power outage, and would have ability to sell excess power to the power company. After the phone conversation I asked they email me everything they told me so that I could just hand it to my electrician. This is what I received:

Your Lucid Air comes with a mobile charging cable to plugs into a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet. With this setup, your vehicle will be able to draw up to 40-amps (which equates to approximately 40-miles of range per hour).

• Our Lucid Connected Home Charging System (wall charger) is expected to be available in the third quarter of this year. Your Lucid Air and the upcoming wall charger will both be “hardware ready” for bi-directional charging, but this feature will be software limited initially.

In order to futureproof your setup, please have your electrician follow the steps below:

• You will want to hardwire the future wall charger to a breaker with at least 100-amp capacity (you will be drawing up to 80-amps from this setup)
    • If you don’t have the capacity on your breaker, your electrician may want to proactively upsize this.
  • You will want to run upsized wiring from the breaker to a junction box that’s in the area where you want to hang the future wall charger. This wiring should be rated for up to 100-amps.
  • You will want to put a junction box in the area where you plan to hang the wall charger and have the upsized wiring lead to it.
  • You will want to have the electrician hardwire the NEMA 14-50 outlet to the junction box and install an appropriately sized fuse.
  • Once the wall charger is available, the electrician would only have to remove the junction box and NEMA outlet and hardwire the wall charger in its place. They will need to swap out the fuse to one that can accommodate up to 80-amps.

I do want to call out that details for bi-directional charging have not yet been released. The hardware is already in the vehicle and built into the upcoming Lucid Connected Home Charging System. There may be additional hardware that is required down the line- primarily if you are running your home from your car, there needs to be a way to disconnect from the breaker.

Hope that helps! The big point made in the phone call was to run upsized wiring to handle bi-directional charging. Do not run wiring sufficient to charge the car through the NEMA 14-50 outlet, if you do then to do directional I would need to replace all the NEMA 14-50 wiring with wiring sufficient to handle the di-directional charging.

Thanks! They are still vague on that part. Are they suggesting we'll need a third party product?
Almost certainly because it'll be required by your local code/utility.

is there a smart EV charger for those unluky folks like me who has only 110v.

is there a smart EV charger for those unluky folks like me who has only 110v.
I don't think so, and the internet hasn't helped me find one.

Can you not get a 14-50 installed?

Almost certainly because it'll be required by your local code/utility.

What on earth?!?!? My exposure to this is that the transfer switch is always theirs too, Kohler and Generac. I've seen these "MANUAL" switches that go in circuit panel for small portable generators.

Does Tesla powerwall use a third party transfer switch?

Back