Lucid Home Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbie

Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
Took delivery of GT November 2, 2022 & need advice on home charging alternatives. I was excited the Lucid Home Charger arrived only to find out it used 100 amp service that no one mentioned when I bought it. Unfortunately, the electrical box is approximately 40’ from driveway, wires being in an almost impossible narrow crawl space under the house & only 3 wires to where my Tesla home charger was located outside.

(1) Since the existing setup will only utilize 40-50% of the Lucid home charger should I buy a Charge Point Flex instead? Seems like such a waste…Lucid charger is unopened in original box.

(2) Should I have Lucid charger installed? Electrician scheduled for this Friday.

At my second location I have another Tesla Home Charger installed inside my garage.

(3)Not sure if using often will compromise the Wunderbox? Any thoughts?

(4) Is installing a NEMA 14-50 with J1772 a safe alternative for charging? Is it safe to leave it plugged in for long periods of time?

I so want to enjoy this car but the problems with Alexa, frozen screens, navigation, audio system continue to be a source of frustration and disappointment.

Thank goodness for this forum & the members as the manual is useless!

Vehicle-to-Home will require additional hardware and installation as well - at least a transfer switch and possibly a subpanel. The details haven't been announced yet. The NACS connector fiasco elsewhere in the industry will probably delay this further.
Yes I’m aware but they electricians can’t install any of that until they know the proper configs to do for the electrical strip that they will enable from the charger, so that’s why I’m curious why they haven’t pushed the update.

Peter has came out pretty aggressive against NACS, not to say that it won’t happen but I believe he said “he’s not interested in it in its current state”

Peter has came out pretty aggressive against NACS, not to say that it won’t happen but I believe he said “he’s not interested in it in its current state”
Not really what he said. What he said was that he’s not particularly interested in which plug people use. He’s more interested in making sure high voltage charging is the priority.

My take is Lucid will gladly switch to NACS just as soon as there are enough high voltage NACS chargers, or they can come up with some solution for future cars of theirs that can take advantage of both high voltage and low voltage chargers on NACS. Current cars will likely be stuck at low speeds on Superchargers for a good long while.

What he doesn’t want is for the world to be stuck on 400v architecture for another decade.

Not really what he said. What he said was that he’s not particularly interested in which plug people use. He’s more interested in making sure high voltage charging is the priority.

My take is Lucid will gladly switch to NACS just as soon as there are enough high voltage NACS chargers, or they can come up with some solution for future cars of theirs that can take advantage of both high voltage and low voltage chargers on NACS. Current cars will likely be stuck at low speeds on Superchargers for a good long while.

What he doesn’t want is for the world to be stuck on 400v architecture for another decade.
Semantics IMO, it’s current state includes the current architecture.

Semantics IMO, its current state includes the current architecture

Um, no. You said Peter came out strong against NACS. He did nothing of the sort.

Um, no. You said Peter came out strong against NACS. He did nothing of the sort.
Publicly stating the EV network that is the fastest growing in NA and bringing on more auto mfg than any other network; isn’t good enough in its current form, also considering him and Elon’s tension from the past none of it will help considering how petty Elon is. So I apologize if I over stated.

Publicly stating the EV network that is the fastest growing in NA and bringing on more auto mfg than any other network; isn’t good enough in its current form, also considering him and Elon’s tension from the past none of it will help considering how petty Elon is. So I apologize if I over stated.
Tesla admits that themselves, otherwise why would they be developing V4 superchargers capable of charging 800v cars and rolling them out in Europe...soon (tm). Also, this thread is about a home charger, not DCFC, do let's bring it back on track.

Tesla admits that themselves, otherwise why would they be developing V4 superchargers capable of charging 800v cars and rolling them out in Europe...soon (tm). Also, this thread is about a home charger, not DCFC, do let's bring it back on track.
Guess we aren’t going to talk about LHCS, that’s cool. As far as NACS, I can’t tell if anyone in the thread wants it or not; considering the way the market is moving I’d be surprised if you didn’t; which is exactly why I was surprised to see “negative leaning sentiment” from Peter towards someone they would be potentially lookin g to partner with either now or in the future. Regardless which side you are on, eventually they will have to adopt nacs and I just can’t imagine that would help.

Any post mentioning NACS belongs in the NACS thread please. This thread is about Lucid's LHCS.

Guess we aren’t going to talk about LHCS, that’s cool. As far as NACS, I can’t tell if anyone in the thread wants it or not; considering the way the market is moving I’d be surprised if you didn’t; which is exactly why I was surprised to see “negative leaning sentiment” from Peter towards someone they would be potentially lookin g to partner with either now or in the future. Regardless which side you are on, eventually they will have to adopt nacs and I just can’t imagine that would help.

There's so much hype about DC Fast Charge, and maybe people are not paying attention to the other point that Peter Rawlinson was saying:

"One more thing pointed out by Peter Rawlinson is that one of the most important things in the EV industry in the US is to support overnight/home charging (AC Level 2) because this is the dominant way of recharging EVs. "

---

"The boss of Lucid is also concerned with the focus on fast chargers. He believes government funding for charging infrastructure should be directed to slower charging options for overnight use, noting that they are better for the environment.

“Why do you have an EV? Partly because it’s better, but partly because you care about the environment,” he said. “The best thing for the environment is to have the power stations running more evenly on a 24-hour cycle. The worst thing for the environment is going charging daytime when the factories are running, everybody’s cooking.”"

“Why do you have an EV? Partly because it’s better, but partly because you care about the environment,” he said. “The best thing for the environment is to have the power stations running more evenly on a 24-hour cycle. The worst thing for the environment is going charging daytime when the factories are running, everybody’s cooking.”"
I have news for Peter. The worst time to charge is overnight when there is no solar making electricity and it is being produced by natural gas. When the CA mandates for all new cars being EVs kicks in, the cheapest power will be between 10a-4p, an exact 180 degree change from when I installed solar in 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back