Lucid Home Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbie

Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
Took delivery of GT November 2, 2022 & need advice on home charging alternatives. I was excited the Lucid Home Charger arrived only to find out it used 100 amp service that no one mentioned when I bought it. Unfortunately, the electrical box is approximately 40’ from driveway, wires being in an almost impossible narrow crawl space under the house & only 3 wires to where my Tesla home charger was located outside.

(1) Since the existing setup will only utilize 40-50% of the Lucid home charger should I buy a Charge Point Flex instead? Seems like such a waste…Lucid charger is unopened in original box.

(2) Should I have Lucid charger installed? Electrician scheduled for this Friday.

At my second location I have another Tesla Home Charger installed inside my garage.

(3)Not sure if using often will compromise the Wunderbox? Any thoughts?

(4) Is installing a NEMA 14-50 with J1772 a safe alternative for charging? Is it safe to leave it plugged in for long periods of time?

I so want to enjoy this car but the problems with Alexa, frozen screens, navigation, audio system continue to be a source of frustration and disappointment.

Thank goodness for this forum & the members as the manual is useless!

Took delivery of GT November 2, 2022 & need advice on home charging alternatives. I was excited the Lucid Home Charger arrived only to find out it used 100 amp service that no one mentioned when I bought it. Unfortunately, the electrical box is approximately 40’ from driveway, wires being in an almost impossible narrow crawl space under the house & only 3 wires to where my Tesla home charger was located outside.

(1) Since the existing setup will only utilize 40-50% of the Lucid home charger should I buy a Charge Point Flex instead? Seems like such a waste…Lucid charger is unopened in original box.

(2) Should I have Lucid charger installed? Electrician scheduled for this Friday.

At my second location I have another Tesla Home Charger installed inside my garage.

(3)Not sure if using often will compromise the Wunderbox? Any thoughts?

(4) Is installing a NEMA 14-50 with J1772 a safe alternative for charging? Is it safe to leave it plugged in for long periods of time?

I so want to enjoy this car but the problems with Alexa, frozen screens, navigation, audio system continue to be a source of frustration and disappointment.

Thank goodness for this forum & the members as the manual is useless!
I mean, the Lucid Home Charger works on a 40amp service, it just doesn't charge as fast. In fact, I think the user manual says it can work all the way down to 8amps. The only drawback right now is no scheduled charging, but I expect Lucid to introduce that on the car side rather than the EVSE side first.

What happens when the Lucid home changer when it is set to a lower current like 48A?
Is the current back to the grid or house also limited to the same current as the charging?

What happens when the Lucid home changer when it is set to a lower current like 48A?
Is the current back to the grid or house also limited to the same current as the charging?
It works fine to charge. No idea about v2h or v2g since it's not enabled yet.

The home charger should be set to charge at a rate of 80% of the circuit capacity, which includes wiring and breaker. So, if you put in wiring and breaker with 60 amp capacity, you set the charging unit to 48. Could set it less, of course, but not more. Now when you want to transfer stored energy back to your house, you're using the same wiring and breaker, so you mustn't exceed its capacity.

The home charger should be set to charge at a rate of 80% of the circuit capacity, which includes wiring and breaker. So, if you put in wiring and breaker with 60 amp capacity, you set the charging unit to 48. Could set it less, of course, but not more. Now when you want to transfer stored energy back to your house, you're using the same wiring and breaker, so you mustn't exceed its capacity.
For V2H I see a scenario as follows. Main breaker says 200A feeds sub-breaker for the rest of the house and a 60A breaker goes to to Lucid charger. If the Lucid charger is bi-directional, there would be a disconnect which disconnects the connection between the 200A breaker and the house sub-breaker panel and the house sub-breaker panel gets powered by the Lucid "charger" which has its own "breaker" to avoid over loading the car battery.

Has anyone use the Lucid Home charger to charge other EVs such as a Nissan Leaf. My Leaf does not seem to charge on it. The Leaf cannot utilize the 80 amps but should draw the 6.6 kW instead of the 19.2, just as it draws about 6.6 kw (~28 amps) on the 40amp, 9.6 kw Chargepoint Flex. it appears that the Lucid charger is not recognizing that the Leaf can only take 6.6 kw and wants to push the full 19.2 so as operating as a pure dumb power supply. I get nothing when plugging In. The unit won’t activate. Thoughts?

Has anyone use the Lucid Home charger to charge other EVs such as a Nissan Leaf. My Leaf does not seem to charge on it. The Leaf cannot utilize the 80 amps but should draw the 6.6 kW instead of the 19.2, just as it draws about 6.6 kw (~28 amps) on the 40amp, 9.6 kw Chargepoint Flex. it appears that the Lucid charger is not recognizing that the Leaf can only take 6.6 kw and wants to push the full 19.2 so as operating as a pure dumb power supply. I get nothing when plugging In. The unit won’t activate. Thoughts?
For level 2 AC charging like we use at home, the charger does not push power; the car pulls it and will only pull the amount it can handle or the amount the charger can supply, whichever is less. Our Lucid charger charged our Volvo EV fine, and at the highest AC rate the car has seen so far. The protocol for AC charging is pretty simple. It's surprising the Leaf and the LHCS aren't getting along.

For DC fast charging, the situation is reversed - the car continuously tells the charger how much power it can take, and the charger supplies as much as it can up to that amount.

Last edited:
The charger does not push power; the car pulls it and will only pull the amount it can handle or the amount the charger can supply, whichever is less. Our Lucid charger charged our Volvo EV fine, and at the highest AC rate the car has seen so far.
Interesting. Yes, that has always my understanding but it won’t work on the Leaf.

Does your Volvo pull the 80 amps, or something less? again, It won’t work on my Leaf. It is like it is not communicating with the car. I can plug our ChargePoint and I get charging. Plug in the Lucid EVSE and nothing happens, plug in the ChargePoint again and it works. The Lucid EVSE works just fine on the Lucid, but not the Leaf. It really appears to be a “dumb“ EVSE.

Interesting. Yes, that has always my understanding but it won’t work on the Leaf.

Does your Volvo pull the 80 amps, or something less? again, It won’t work on my Leaf. It is like it is not communicating with the car. I can plug our ChargePoint and I get charging. Plug in the Lucid EVSE and nothing happens, plug in the ChargePoint again and it works. The Lucid EVSE works just fine on the Lucid, but not the Leaf. It really appears to be a “dumb“ EVSE.
That is really surprising. OTOH the firmware in Lucid's charger appears to be in its early stages of development. I'd bring it up to customer service and I'm sure they'll ask the OEM to test with a Leaf and fix it.
Our Volvo is capable of drawing 11kW and managed that on the LHCS.

That is really surprising. OTOH the firmware in Lucid's charger appears to be in its early stages of development. I'd bring it up to customer service and I'm sure they'll ask the OEM to test with a Leaf and fix it.
Our Volvo is capable of drawing 11kW and managed that on the LHCS.
I have already sent the inquiry. Just had nothing but issues with this. i just had a replacement unit swapped (supposedly the original had a bad circuit board that went just after I did a quick test charge on the Lucid and gave a ‘red light’ error after the charge. Resetting power just launched the old unit into a power up sequence it could never complete)

I slap had other questions for them. . The original init had a 25 foot power cord. The replacement is only about 15’. According to the manual, this might be the commercial version rather than the home version. Swapping the cords does not look like an easy job. The other issue was the Leaf charging.

I have already sent the inquiry. Just had nothing but issues with this. i just had a replacement unit swapped (supposedly the original had a bad circuit board that went just after I did a quick test charge on the Lucid and gave a ‘red light’ error after the charge. Resetting power just launched the old unit into a power up sequence it could never complete)

I slap had other questions for them. . The original init had a 25 foot power cord. The replacement is only about 15’. According to the manual, this might be the commercial version rather than the home version. Swapping the cords does not look like an easy job. The other issue was the Leaf charging.
Wow, that must be discouraging. Good luck.

What is the advise for removing the logo cover on the Lucid Connected Home Charging Station? I can't find the post on the removal of the logo cover.
It's very difficult. Remove the bottom screw (T20 security), slide the cover upwards about 10mm, then pry it away from the unit with sore fingers, or a plastic auto upholstery pry tool. It may help to pull upwards on the left and right edges of the curved cover as though you were trying pull it flat.

It's very difficult. Remove the bottom screw (T20 security), slide the cover upwards about 10mm, then pry it away from the unit with sore fingers, or a plastic auto upholstery pry tool. It may help to pull upwards on the left and right edges of the curved cover as though you were trying pull it flat.
I got my Lucid Home Charger installed today. The installation went smoothly. The unit booted and white light logo came on solid. The wifi setup does not provide a selection to pick your wifi. You have to type in your Wifi SSID. I could not connect to my 5G Wi-Fi. I connected to the 2.4 G wifi. Then I got a software update (light flashed orange). The light is solid white. After the SW update, I cannot access the browser interface at 192.168.5.1. The browser kept showing spinning clock update. Quit browser and relaunched to 192.168.5.1. Nothing on the browser interface. I called customer care for help. They do not have a charger expert answering the phone. After some discussion and holds, he said that a software update is needed to allow accessing the browser interface. He thought the unit was working but no browser interface. He said he would followup with email on my issue. Followup email - Change my router to 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.2.xxx. My router was 192.168.0.1. I'm apprehensive about changing my IP address because I have many devices on my wifi. Since I don't have my car yet, I cannot schedule charging and concerned about ripple effect of changing router IP address, I am going to wait to get the wifi connection working. Suggestions?

192.168.5.1 is the correct IP address to use while your phone or laptop is connected to the charger's Serial Number setup SSID, which is only active for 15 minutes after power on. Once the charger has connected to your home wifi network, you have to check your router to find out the charger's new IP address on your home network. For your network, this would be of the form 192.168.0.xxx (and of course to do this and to access the charger by browser on your own wifi network, set your phone or laptop back to using your own wifi network rather than the router's setup network).

My guess is that the suggestion to change your home network from 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.2.xxx is not applicable to you.

192.168.5.1 is the correct IP address to use while your phone or laptop is connected to the charger's Serial Number setup SSID, which is only active for 15 minutes after power on. Once the charger has connected to your home wifi network, you have to check your router to find out the charger's new IP address on your home network. For your network, this would be of the form 192.168.0.xxx (and of course to do this and to access the charger by browser on your own wifi network, set your phone or laptop back to using your own wifi network rather than the router's setup network).

My guess is that the suggestion to change your home network from 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.2.xxx is not applicable to you.
Agreed on this suggestion. My laptop kept defaulting to my home network so make sure you are pointed to the network ID of the box.

Also - turn the breaker off then on again then try to access it.

Thanks Dean. I do recall you posted that there was an issue with wifi IP address with the Lucid charger. During the setup I was able to see the charger broadcast its IP address (serial number) and connect to it. I was able to setup my wifi info and save. This resulted in the blinking orange logo. Since my wifi is 192.168.0.1, I should not be looking at 192.168.5.1 for the charger. So the charger is probably connected to my wifi, I just need to figure out the correct IP address. Unfortunately, I do not see a "Lucid" device as a connected device. I'll try all the "unknown" devices. Hopefully, the Lucid charger is one of the unknowns. If I can't find the Lucid charger, should I shutdown power at the breaker and start over? By the way are you connecting your wifi at 5G or 2.4G? Thanks.

I got my Lucid Home Charger installed today. The installation went smoothly. The unit booted and white light logo came on solid. The wifi setup does not provide a selection to pick your wifi. You have to type in your Wifi SSID. I could not connect to my 5G Wi-Fi. I connected to the 2.4 G wifi. Then I got a software update (light flashed orange). The light is solid white. After the SW update, I cannot access the browser interface at 192.168.5.1. The browser kept showing spinning clock update. Quit browser and relaunched to 192.168.5.1. Nothing on the browser interface. I called customer care for help. They do not have a charger expert answering the phone. After some discussion and holds, he said that a software update is needed to allow accessing the browser interface. He thought the unit was working but no browser interface. He said he would followup with email on my issue. Followup email - Change my router to 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.2.xxx. My router was 192.168.0.1. I'm apprehensive about changing my IP address because I have many devices on my wifi. Since I don't have my car yet, I cannot schedule charging and concerned about ripple effect of changing router IP address, I am going to wait to get the wifi connection working. Suggestions?
If you can change the subnet adress from the typical default 255.255.255.0, you can have your ip adr reach more than 256 addresses.

Thanks Dean. I do recall you posted that there was an issue with wifi IP address with the Lucid charger. During the setup I was able to see the charger broadcast its IP address (serial number) and connect to it. I was able to setup my wifi info and save. This resulted in the blinking orange logo. Since my wifi is 192.168.0.1, I should not be looking at 192.168.5.1 for the charger. So the charger is probably connected to my wifi, I just need to figure out the correct IP address. Unfortunately, I do not see a "Lucid" device as a connected device. I'll try all the "unknown" devices. Hopefully, the Lucid charger is one of the unknowns. If I can't find the Lucid charger, should I shutdown power at the breaker and start over? By the way are you connecting your wifi at 5G or 2.4G? Thanks.
So change wifi subnet mask for wider reach ... often is user changable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back