Wunderbox + Charger install + Chargers in general

is there a smart EV charger for those unluky folks like me who has only 110v.

I saw a video a while back where a guy was using a product that let you use two 110, but you had to know they are on different circuits and bar. Can't remember exact term.

What on earth?!?!? My exposure to this is that the transfer switch is always theirs too, Kohler and Generac. I've seen these "MANUAL" switches that go in circuit panel for small portable generators.

Does Tesla powerwall use a third party transfer switch?
It may or may not need a transfer switch but will definitely need a disconnect at a minimum.

With the size of the Air’s batteries, you are really going to need a 240 110 will just trickle charger and you will need to be charging it 24-7, or anytime the car is home to get any sort of power into it. At that point, having a smart charger is not needed.

That is a nifty go around for not having a adequate 220v plug handy but most people have no idea what the “A” phase and “B” is on standard 110v circuits And when plugged in incorrectly will have no idea why it does not work.

IMO buying a first EV requires the additional investment of a reliable fixed 240V charging station. Anything less, and you're just buying a burden.

I don't think so, and the internet hasn't helped me find one.

Can you not get a 14-50 installed?
unfortunately my garage is a detached garage and it's quite expensive to trench a wire from my house to it. i'm talking to HOA to install a charger at our clubhouse but it's a slow process. i would be pleasantly surprised if i can get them install a charger by end of this year.

Cannot you have a convenient 220v plug on the outside of your house? How close can you park a car to the house?

Cannot you have a convenient 220v plug on the outside of your house? How close can you park a car to the house?
I live in a 8 unit condo and i'm on the far end of it while my garage is on the opposite side across the street. no street in front of my condo.

I know this is not going to be what you want to hear but in your situation a plug in hybrid may be a better fit. Unless you have the time to recharge at a local station trying to charge a larger EV battery on 110v is like filling a 50 gallon barrel with water using a tablespoon…..

I know this is not going to be what you want to hear but in your situation a plug in hybrid may be a better fit. Unless you have the time to recharge at a local station trying to charge a larger EV battery on 110v is like filling a 50 gallon barrel with water using a tablespoon…..
true. i have seriously considered cancelling my order but decided to keep it since we do plan on moving to WA next year (or south Bay). so it's a temporary situation (at least that's how i'm convincing myself haha). Both my wife and I can WFH and Lucid is going to be more like a weekend/pleasure car after the novelty dies off, i don't imagine driving it on a weekday.

Last edited:
true. i have seriously considered cancelling my order but decided to keep it since we do plan on moving to WA next year (or south Bay). so it's a temporary situation (at least that's how i'm convincing myself haha). Both my wife and I can WFH and Lucid is going to be more like a weekend/pleasure car after the novelty dies off, i don't imagine driving it on a weekday.
Just plug it in anytime it is in your garage and hit an EA charging station when you need to fill it back up

Just plug it in anytime it is in your garage and hit an EA charging station when you need to fill it back up
yep! that's the plan. have an EA charging station 5miles away and plan to use that if I'm in a rush.

yep! that's the plan. have an EA charging station 5miles away and plan to use that if I'm in a rush.
That’s close. Just a pop in on the way home for a quick charge and you won’t have to worry about only having a 110v

Have you ever spent a day watching paint dry? That is more exciting, and probably faster, than trying to charge a Lucid on a 110 circuit.
3mi/hr...it's not bad if you only use your car on rhe weekend, you can get 350 miles during the rest of the week!

Unless your weekend drives are over 300 miles you can trickle charge with 110 and stop by the EA charger for 20-30 minutes if you go on a long drive. With 10 hours a day on the 110V, even if your daily commute was 30 miles each way, you would only have to stop by the EA charger for 20-30 minutes a week. That is the value of the Lucid range.

I was waiting this morning at my physical therapy location (Mayo Clinic) and the guy who arrived at the same time has a Tesla Model S. We got talking and to my amazement, he said he has not installed a 240 line but has been using the 110 charger. He said it has worked for him. He does have a second car, his wife's Lexus, but he said that they rarely use the Lexus.

so I suppose it is possible but I would not want to try it. I installed a 240 circuit but mine is only 20 amps so I plan on topping off at home and occasionally giving it a boost at a fast charger.

A friend had only 120V charging for his XC40 EV and was always stressed (including disagreements with wife) about getting it charged enough in time for the next drive. After six months like that he ran a 240V 30A line to his garage and said it was a considerable relief.

Wait. I came here for clarity (gave up on Lucid site). You guys are making it worse.

WHY DO YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT CHARGERS????

I thought you could plug your lucid directly into your 240v drier plug, I thought the charger was built into the car?

I thought the only reason to get a Lucid charger is to bi-direction ???

Back