Would you sell your DE for what you paid

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
Using the DE as a daily driver over the last 3 months, in a week I have 60 lock unlock interactions / 30 park distance / 14 homelink / 30 Entertainment system interactions, plus some Nav and Phone interactions.

About 100 of those interactions on a weekly basis are awful.

I love driving the car, I don't need the 100 aggravations a week.

If I could sell this car for what I paid for it I would sell it today.

I have very little confidence that my concerns will be addressed any time soon.

This post doesn't help me sell the car for more.

That is not my objective. I think it is the most honest assessment of the car. I would gladly sell this car for what I paid, and would consider some discount.

I don't know where that line is for me exactly, but if you don't want to wait to have an Air, make me an offer.

As far as the drive train and the 900V architecture, best EV by far.

For me not getting unlock/lock right is unforgivable.

I love driving the car, I'm not going to give it away, but if I could get a reasonable % of what I paid, I would let it go.

For me my time in my car is some of my favorite time of the day, the Air ruins that time with it's deficiencies.

It is probably the best EV, that is not good enough for me, I want the best Luxury sedan. The Air is not that.

I personally would not. The Air drives incredibly well. The Air DE is a 1,111 hp monster that is also supremely comfortable, silent and handles beautifully. The Air GT and Touring will be just as satisfying, frankly, because I never use the full power the DE has available - you just can’t do that in the U.S. yea, the Air still has teething problems with the software but they are fixing it a little at a time. For example, 1.2.1 let’s me use Alexa for voice dialing phone calls! It is still slow to unlock from sleep, but doesn’t go to sleep as quickly so it’s more instantly ready to unlock.

The fact is that most other cars also have UX hiccups but don’t drive nearly as well. The UX in my $160k Range Rover is far worse than in my Air DE. The UX in my $350,000 Ferrari F8 Tributo is also worse. The only car I would consider swapping for my Air DE is a Bentley Flying Spur, but for the additional $100,000 I don’t think it would be a better car.

I am sorry to hear it’s not working out! Damn bugs..I wish they could figure it out quickly for you..

I personally would not. The Air drives incredibly well. The Air DE is a 1,111 hp monster that is also supremely comfortable, silent and handles beautifully. The Air GT and Touring will be just as satisfying, frankly, because I never use the full power the DE has available - you just can’t do that in the U.S. yea, the Air still has teething problems with the software but they are fixing it a little at a time. For example, 1.2.1 let’s me use Alexa for voice dialing phone calls! It is still slow to unlock from sleep, but doesn’t go to sleep as quickly so it’s more instantly ready to unlock.

The fact is that most other cars also have UX hiccups but don’t drive nearly as well. The UX in my $160k Range Rover is far worse than in my Air DE. The UX in my $350,000 Ferrari F8 Tributo is also worse. The only car I would consider swapping for my Air DE is a Bentley Flying Spur, but for the additional $100,000 I don’t think it would be a better car.
My 2021 GMC Yukon AT4 does everything that sucks on the Air very well. 80K So does my 2020 Honda Accord that I bought for my kids to drive. 40K. I'm not going to compare the Air to a Ferrari. There is a reason it is easy to buy a 4 year old Ferrari with less than 4000 miles.

I am sorry to hear it’s not working out! Damn bugs..I wish they could figure it out quickly for you..
I do think it is a very good "EV". To me it is stupid that EVs want to reinvent the wheel. The drive train is far superior. They think they have to change everything. No. There are a lot of things in cars that have improved over 100 years and are pretty good.

I am not trying to have this be Bring a Trailer. For me this is the most genuine way to indicate how I feel about the car. I don't hate it enough to get rid of it immediately, and I don't love it enough to keep it if I get a reasonable offer.

I am not trying to have this be Bring a Trailer. For me this is the most genuine way to indicate how I feel about the car. I don't hate it enough to get rid of it immediately, and I don't love it enough to keep it if I get a reasonable offer.
Good luck. No sense bearing this misery any longer than necessary.

Good luck. No sense bearing this misery any longer than necessary.
It's not misery. It is just not a world class luxury sedan. For many features it is not a Civic or a Corolla.

Did the update not improve the lock/unlock for you?

Did the update not improve the lock/unlock for you?
It is better than it was. Unlock I still frequently have to wait 3-5 seconds for it to unlock. I know 3-5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot. My other cars the wait is 0. 0 Every time. 100% consistent. The Lucid is all over the place. and rarely 0. For Lock, if I press the handle in it locks the car immediately about 25% of the time. 75% of the time it locks whenever it wants.

It is better than it was. Unlock I still frequently have to wait 3-5 seconds for it to unlock. I know 3-5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot. My other cars the wait is 0. 0 Every time. 100% consistent. The Lucid is all over the place. and rarely 0. For Lock, if I press the handle in it locks the car immediately about 25% of the time. 75% of the time it locks whenever it wants.
Not personal, but that sounds like misery to me. :-(

The pleasure of driving the car is like a narcotic. You become numb to the deficiencies. It is stupid fast.
I could not say it any better!

I agree with this. First car I’ve owned that I had to plan ahead to use. I’ve trained myself to open the app on the phone a few minutes before leaving so the car will be “awake” by the time I get out to the garage.

I guess I have to agree to disagree. You couldn’t wrench it from me for any reasonable amount of money right now, haha, and I disagree that it doesn’t feel like a luxury sedan. Every single car has awful software issues, bar none; some are better than others, but the stuff that upsets me is getting quickly resolved, and the car is such a thrill to drive I don’t mind it while I wait. To each their own.

I have read that Lucid is monitoring this forum, so honest feedback will hopefully get back to right people. It would be a shame if Lucid didn’t take advantage of all information sources.

I reserved my AGT back in July 2020 based on the technology, mainly range and advanced driver assistance technology. I have lived through the Tesla saga, and in fact last night just got back from a drive with the latest beta FSD software, and had to put on Jimmy Buffett for a few minutes to relieve my frustration before I came back in the house. I have threatened to sell the Tesla many times, but the truth is after all these years, there is still no one else doing what Tesla is doing, and their FSD on their worst day does far more than what anyone else does on their best day. I see Lucid the same way, there is no one else with the technology platform that Lucid has developed. Certainly, from what we have seen so far, the Lucid software group is not as strong as their hardware group, and I think to be honest we are going to have to go through some serious rewrites before we get to responsive and robust software performance. But, so far Lucid has not backed off from any of their promises. They still plan to have Android Auto and Car Play while I doubt Tesla ever will, and with their industry leading suite of ADAS sensors they are clearly planning on doing far more than just Highway Assist. Those times when I reconsider if I should spend $150k for another saga, I ask myself what else would I buy, and the answer always comes up nothing. As several comments have pointed out, there are many ho-hum cars out there that work flawlessly, but they are still just ho-hum cars.

Last edited:
Each person is different. Most of us are early adopters and love things that are at the verge of beta. I told my wife, I totally expect to be locked in the car for hours and hours with no way out, due to a software glitch, and I am okay with that. :)

Back