Does Lucid sell my driving data to third-party for auto insurance purposes?

socal

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Just read this New York Times piece that some auto companies such as GM, Honda, Kia, etc, are selling drivers’ trip data (time/date/speed/miles/braking/acceleration, etc) to data banks such as Lexis-Nexis and Verisk, who then sells this data to auto insurance companies. Thus, allowing insurance co. a detail profile of your driving habits and raising/lowering your premiums.

From the article… “Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies
LexisNexis, which generates consumer risk profiles for the insurers, knew about every trip G.M. drivers had taken in their cars, including when they sped, braked too hard or accelerated rapidly…”

Is Lucid selling my driving profile to third-parties? If so, how do I opt out?

If Lucid is doing this without my consent, or nefariously hide the opt-in clause in the ‘no-one-reads-it-legalese’, I will be super upset. Does anyone know if Lucid is doing this?

Last edited:
Just read this New York Times piece that some auto companies such as GM, Honda, Kia, etc, are selling drivers’ trip data (time/date/speed/miles/braking/acceleration, etc) to data banks such as Lexis-Nexis and Verisk, who then sells this data to auto insurance companies. Thus, allowing insurance co. a detail profile of your driving habits and raising/lowering your premiums.

From the article… “Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies
LexisNexis, which generates consumer risk profiles for the insurers, knew about every trip G.M. drivers had taken in their cars, including when they sped, braked too hard or accelerated rapidly…”

Is Lucid selling my driving profile to third-parties? If so, how do I opt out?

If Lucid is doing this without my consent, or nefariously hide the opt-in clause in the ‘no-one-reads-it-legalese’, I will be super upset. Does anyone know if Lucid is doing this?
This, folks, is the real reason companies like GM are attempting to ditch CarPlay and Android Auto.

When you use those systems, the auto manufacturer gets none of that sweet, sweet data to sell.

This, folks, is the real reason companies like GM are attempting to ditch CarPlay and Android Auto.

When you use those systems, the auto manufacturer gets none of that sweet, sweet data to sell.
That and the monthly subscription fees.

Why would the use of CarPlay prevent the car’s built in telemetry from phoning home about driving habits?

What would be nice is if we could mine our own data.

Why would the use of CarPlay prevent the car’s built in telemetry from phoning home about driving habits?
Telemetry, sure.

But think about how valuable your listening habits are. What podcasts you like. What music you like. How often you are texting while driving around.

But think about how valuable your listening habits are. What podcasts you like. What music you like. How often you are texting while driving around.
They will be thrilled to know just how uncultured I am :p

Just submitted a request for my data. It's my understanding that in California that insurance companies can't use driving data to determine rates (but I could be wrong). Will be interesting to see what they have on me. Note, you can also request to delete all of your personal data or to not share your data that Lexisnexis has.

Here's the URL to submit the request ... https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

What would be nice is if we could mine our own data.

Some of my track day buddies are using this: I have no personal experience with it though. I still have an ancient XT lap timer purely for lap times.

Last edited:
I hope you're right! I'm not sure they'd be open about it if they were. Does Honda/Kia/GM notify drivers of their cars about data collection?
The data Lexis/Nexis gets from GM/Onstar is from Smart Driver which is an optional service that most car peddlers enroll you in automatically; you can unenroll from this service by calling Onstar, or through the iOS app.

Just submitted a request for my data. It's my understanding that in California that insurance companies can't use driving data to determine rates (but I could be wrong). Will be interesting to see what they have on me. Note, you can also request to delete all of your personal data or to not share your data that Lexisnexis has.

Here's the URL to submit the request ... https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

They can use driving data, in the broad sense of how many miles a car is driven per year. I don't know what the law says about the rest, but Tesla tracks driver data for its own insurance purposes and supposedly uses it. I don't have their insurance and don't know any more than that.

Wow, this is eye-opening! Never thought about my driving data being used like this. Definitely need to dig into Lucid's policies now. Thanks for sharing,

I received a letter from Lexis Nexis today with a link to download my report. It's quite long with every historical phone number, address, email address, credit inquiry, loan and recent insurance claim (glass chip repair). I can confirm that there is no driving data from Lucid (or Rivian) in my report.

Same as Tim -- my LexisNexis report contains zero info about my Lucid other than auto policy info.
(No mention of my Subaru and VW Alltrack vehicles either -- that may be because Subaru and/or VW don't sell the data to LexisNexis, or because I disconnected the telematics cellular antenna in the Subaru, and used a legal after-market OBDC hacking kit to disable it on the VW.)

Back